Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
The other minor issue is that when I only need a tiny bit of lift, they interfere with my between the wheel chocks (RotoChok). I now use small pieces of horse stall mat when I only need 3/4" or so of lift.

I don't use the "chock" wedge that comes with the Andersens...with my RotoChok's there is no need for them.
I used mine for the first time on a recent trip and with small lift they do interfere with the X-chock (thick end is not rotated down far enough between the tires). However, when you actually use the chock they provided under the thin edge of the wedge then you don't really need to use the X-chock on those wheels... the tires are cradled in the levelers (like a conventional chock in front of and behind each tire). When using the levelers, I only use the X-chock on the other side.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #22

I really liked them when I first saw them; now not so sure. Think I'll stick with my Lynx levelers. I'm familiar with them & don't need to cut them off.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #23

I found the best use for them was the ease of lifting a flat tire off the ground. I prefer my Lynx levelers and the solid platform they provide for my tires.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #24

I guess this is why they make so many different things for rving.
I still like my Anderson's
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I can't speak to the Rapid Jack, I didn't buy it because I didn't like its feature, that after you drive up on it, everything is then held in place by only your trucks emergency brake. I bought the Trailer Aid, and am sold on it. It worked perfectly and I like having a nice solid pocket area for the wheel to rest in as long as is necessary to change a flat tire or do a brake job.......

I don't claim to be an expert with the Andersen Leveler, because I just got them on Tuesday, cut them to fit my Micro Lite 25KS Tuesday afternoon and used them for the first and only time on Wednesday at this campground.....But yes, if you only cut one, your tires will be at different heights. If you need to cut to fit between the tires, then I think you need to cut both the same, that's what I did.......Others have also said driving off the levelers causes them to shoot out and some said they broke when doing that, so don't do that.....To me, seems like the obvious and maybe the safest way to come off the levelers is to move slightly forward to take the weight off the chocks, remove the chocks, and then roll back off them.......Right now we are still sitting on them from that first time using them, but that is how I will come off of them when we leave the campground. Also thinking I will add lanyards to both chocks long enough so wife can safely pull them out of the way when I move forward to release the weight. Maybe they aren't for everyone and yes I've only used them once, but I do see them as having a lot of promise.
What happens to the leveler that is between the wheels when you you back off from them?
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Joan View Post
What happens to the leveler that is between the wheels when you you back off from them?
You only back up (or pull forward - depends on how you like to place them so you raise the side in forward or reverse - there is no right answer) until you are at the same position you were when you inserted them. Then it just pulls out to the side as easily as you inserted it. OC even bored through one of the hollows and put in a thick rope to yank it out from a standing position.

I did have to do the same as many here and trim about 3" off the thin end of one to be able to get it between the tires.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Joan View Post
well, it went in between the tires in the beginning, so it should come out from between the tires at the end,........ you think that might cause a problem, but you didn't think driving forward off them would? ....... driving forward, the front tire comes off the 4" drop and smooth sailing ahead, BUT, the back tire is another story,.......after the back tire comes off it's 4" drop it still has a chock and another leveler in front of it to get over, they may or may not be jammed between the tires at this point, plus they are probably not sitting there in perfect position for that tire to roll up on the chock, over that leveler and off the 4" drop again,........you didn't think that could be a problem?
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #28

Hey fella10, I finally used my Anderson levelers last weekend. Worked great and really easy (after the trimming, which was no biggie). Also used my X chock with them; no issues.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #29

ok, I'm sold on these things,......have used the AL's twice now and I already feel like an AL pro, ......I've come up with a method that eliminates the need for a large trailer mounted level that can be seen in my rear view mirror or for an extra person to hold a level on the side of trailer as shown in the youtube video,.....I played with them at home, to determine how far to move forward to get 1", 2" and 3" of height, ...now, with those distances known, when I get parked on our site and determine how much lift I need, I lay a yard stick on the ground at the drivers door for reference and move forward the distance I want,....on this site the 2ft. level and 1/4" blocks showed that 1" wasn't enough, but 2" was too much, so I moved forward the distance for 1 1/2" lift and it was perfect,......a one person operation, no guessing, and no trial and error,.....yeah the Andersen Leveler is a winner

Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #30

Why drive off the big end?

Just pull a bit, remove chock, and roll down. No drama, doesn't go flying... Works great..Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443018959.712770.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	89659

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #31

[Why drive off the big end?

Just pull a bit, remove chock, and roll down. No drama, doesn't go flying... Works great.]

you're right "no drama and works great",......I drilled all the way across, near the top corner of the chocks, so I can slide thru a 1/4" eye bolt 8" long from either side when ready to come off the levelers,.....then clip a pull cord to each eye bolt and wife can stand back away and safely pull them free when I pull the weight off them,......IMO that is a much better and safer way than driving off the big end, even though the company says that is ok

Old 09-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #32

I'm still waiting for my promised refund from Andersen. I guess the wheels on my flagstaff are too close together to use as some of you have suggested. Too dangerous and too much trouble for me to use. I'll stick with my boards.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #33

Those of us with close wheels just cut 2" off the thin end of one and smooth it out with a belt sander... works like a charm.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Those of us with close wheels just cut 2" off the thin end of one and smooth it out with a belt sander... works like a charm.
I cut the end off. Now when up on the levlelers the wheels are not at the same level. Didn't look good to me. The one I cut off was caught between the wheels and I couldn't get it out.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I cut the end off of 1 of my levelers, and it is still a tight fit. I am going to take an idea from Old Coot, and do a 45 degree cut on the bottom of the thick side to give a bit more clearance.

I don't really think that having the levelers at different heights makes a big difference. Heck, if I don't need much height, I just use 1 of those puppies anyway.

I got to do something about them sliding in wet grass. I had that happen to me last week. I am thinking about getting some stick-on stair step treads to attach to the bottom of the levelers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I got to do something about them sliding in wet grass. I had that happen to me last week. I am thinking about getting some stick-on stair step treads to attach to the bottom of the levelers.
That probably won't help - you'll just end up tearing the grass out of the ground and plowing a huge pile.

If you don't already know this trick, turn off your trailer brakes when you're using the Anderson Levelers. On the Prodigy P2 at least, you do that by holding down the 'boost' button until 'r' appears in the display (you'll probably have to reset your boost option next time you get underway because it will get messed up).

Old 09-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #37

I read somewhere, to keep a bucket of gravel to make a better base.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post

If you don't already know this trick, turn off your trailer brakes when you're using the Anderson Levelers.
The trailer brakes shouldn't be functioning while I am trying to accelerate up on the levelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I read somewhere, to keep a bucket of gravel to make a better base.
That might not be appreciated the next time that area is mowed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:21 AM   #39

"'
cnmdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
That might not be appreciated the next time that area is mowed.

Quit parking in the grass....?

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK