Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #1

Motorhome to 5th Wheel advice - input!!

We welcome input to help with our decision We are considering trading our Georgetown in on a 5th Wheel. The dynamics of my job has change so we need to part with our coach (cost savings) and still be able to travel a little. The operating cost of a MH can be a little expensive.

We welcome any suggestions as we start looking at 5th wheels in the upcoming RV shows this winter. We have no intentions to spend crazy money as we want to get our payment down.

So with that said what are must haves as we start looking? We have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with 410's as a tow vehicle. We're leaning towards a 30 footer, pantry is important to my wife along with room to get around the bed. What type of hitch should I be looking at.

It's just my wife and I along with our Maltese. I plan on retiring in about 5 or 6 years so Myrtle Beach will be home for three months out of the year. We do plan on doing one loop around the country for 4 or 5 months before Myrtle Beach.

As I mentioned, this is a cost savings move we just don't want to miss on the absolutes like Leveling Jacks, correct hitch style, do they offer Artic Package (?).

As always this is great forum for feedback and we thank you in advance for your input.

Thanks
John & Janine
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
King of the Road

When I was looking for an RV, I considered a Class A,B,C motorhome but decided against it, cost being the main concern.

2 engines/transmissions/drive trains to maintain (with TOAD, which is necessary. The fifth wheel has more room and storage than (most) travel trailers. High ceilings more privacy (depending on size/floor plan.

Take some time and look, think you'll find something to satisfy everybody (meaning the little woman, LOL) you might even get a drawer and some shoe space with the right one

I like my Crusader Lite 27RK with the single slide (most of those units have 2 slides). I prefer the rear kitchen so cooking doesn't interfere with the living section and entertainment (TV, dvd, etc.) it's 31' 10" and tows great with my Ram HD 2500 SRW with my hitch, tools, extra fuel in the truck bed. I had a hitch welded to the frame and have a 500 lb hitch carrier on the back with my 3500 watt generator on it (double locked and chained, with screeching alarms that are unseen).

The queen bed can be accessed from either side, a bit tight between the end of the bed and the wall tv, but not really much, just turn sideways. Full nightstands on each side with storage above and below, hanging closet (small) and 3 drawers, also great underbed storage.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #3

My wife and I are fairly new to Rving about 2 yrs now and we started with a 5th wheel. We had looked at pull along, 5th wheels and motor homes. We found the Rockwood ultra lite we liked and have been very happy. It is a 8282 ws about 33 ft long. Now after 2 years the only minor change would be to get the same general design but about 2 ft longer in the bedroom area. so that the bed slides out not the closest. It is very easy to pull with our GMC 2500 hd. Also would lover to have the auto level.
RSBivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBivings View Post
My wife and I are fairly new to Rving about 2 yrs now and we started with a 5th wheel. We had looked at pull along, 5th wheels and motor homes. We found the Rockwood ultra lite we liked and have been very happy. It is a 8282 ws about 33 ft long. Now after 2 years the only minor change would be to get the same general design but about 2 ft longer in the bedroom area. so that the bed slides out not the closest. It is very easy to pull with our GMC 2500 hd. Also would lover to have the auto level.

Thanks for your input. We were looking at a few different models like Rockwood and Wild(?) something. We agree that the bed with the slide appears to give more room. A pantry is important for the mrs. I'm curious if they offer an Artic Package. I some offer pre-wire for solar panels. Be kind of neat if we decide to try boon docking or keep the batteries charged while in storage.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are lots of floorplans and options.

What is super best for us, may not suit you at all.
We really like ours. (see signature)

I see you are from PA. Head out to the R/V show in Hershey in a few weeks and have a look.
There will be HUNDREDS of makes/models to choose from.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There are lots of floorplans and options.

What is super best for us, may not suit you at all.
We really like ours. (see signature)

I see you are from PA. Head out to the R/V show in Hershey in a few weeks and have a look.
There will be HUNDREDS of makes/models to choose from.

You're absolutely right. We're leaving for Myrtle Beach in two weeks so most likely we'll check out both the Cleveland and Pittsburgh RV shows

I've trailered boats (10k), campers and flat tow our Jeep behind our Georgetown. Never towed a 5th wheel. Any pointers?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #7

Welcome from upstate NY. Your decision to go with a 5er is well founded, they have great road manners, if well set up they are a pleasure to tow, eliminating the stress of a long day on the road. We started out with a must have list of features and in keeping with the size and weight out truck could easily tow. We bought ours to travel, not sit in a park. Go to Trailer Life Magazines web site, download their work sheet for your trucks capacities, and base your trailer selection on these figures. You'll have to make some compromises somewhere, but don't overtax your truck, especially if you want to travel extensively. I did a lot of homework, and I'm glad I did, we enjoy our 5er and traveling is as stress free as it can be. Hope this helps, God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otegoans View Post
Welcome from upstate NY. Your decision to go with a 5er is well founded, they have great road manners, if well set up they are a pleasure to tow, eliminating the stress of a long day on the road. We started out with a must have list of features and in keeping with the size and weight out truck could easily tow. We bought ours to travel, not sit in a park. Go to Trailer Life Magazines web site, download their work sheet for your trucks capacities, and base your trailer selection on these figures. You'll have to make some compromises somewhere, but don't overtax your truck, especially if you want to travel extensively. I did a lot of homework, and I'm glad I did, we enjoy our 5er and traveling is as stress free as it can be. Hope this helps, God Bless.

Thank you from South West PA. That is some great info you just shared. Our 2500HD with 4:10s says she'll tow 14k on a 5er. But you're absolutely correct as we don't want to overtax the truck. I'll certainly download that info from Trailer Life Magazine.

Thanks ago.
John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
You're absolutely right. We're leaving for Myrtle Beach in two weeks so most likely we'll check out both the Cleveland and Pittsburgh RV shows

I've trailered boats (10k), campers and flat tow our Jeep behind our Georgetown. Never towed a 5th wheel. Any pointers?

Thanks.
Keep in mind that a 5ver tracks to the inside quicker than a trailer so wider turns are a must. Buttonhook buttonhook buttonhook.

But they tow and handle better IMO than a trailer. Just make sure you choose the 5th wheel you want before you even start looking for a tow vehicle, then make sure you get the TV to handle the 5th, instead of the other way around.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Keep in mind that a 5ver tracks to the inside quicker than a trailer so wider turns are a must. Buttonhook buttonhook buttonhook.

But they tow and handle better IMO than a trailer. Just make sure you choose the 5th wheel you want before you even start looking for a tow vehicle, then make sure you get the TV to handle the 5th, instead of the other way around.
Sorry, just noticed the post that you already have a TV, 2500 HD, so that will limit your choices, but there are plenty of very nice 5ths that can be towed with a 3/4 ton.

Have one myself.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

I would seriously look at more than a floorplan before buying any RV. As you know there is more than just glamor to an RV.

This is what I would look for when buying any RV. First what are the selling dealer reviews. This will make or break any experience of owning any RV. A good dealer will help you thought the warranty process when needed.

Second, frame size 10" I beam with a welded 2X2 channel is good, even better is a 12" I beam construction for the frame. With a Trailair pin box or such is offered? Helps some out the ride between 5er and truck.

Third, does the trailer offer a suspension that is a wet bolt design (grease able)? This will last longer than the plastic bushings that is common on most RV's units. You could be replacing the plastic bushing in less than 10,000 miles.

Fourth, tires on most RV's these are manufactured in China which is a low cost provider. Some are good most are fair and need to be replaced. So factor this into the cost of a trailer.

Five, level up system is this offered hydraulic or electric, to me this is a must have. I prefer hydraulic driven components over the electric driven stabilizers.

Six, does the manufacture allow you to contact their representatives to help you and provide e-mail and phone numbers for a contact person.

Seventh, can you access the bathroom and some of the kitchen with the slides closed.

There is more but this is the highlight of what is important in buying a trailer, in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #12

Personal preferences: We opted for a table and chairs instead of dinette. Much more comfortable. Also separate living area so we are not watching tv at an angle over the kitchen. And an outdoor kitchen is great! Love our sierra 378fb but it would be too heavy for your 2500 I believe. Good luck.
RonandMarion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, motorhome, wheel