Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

MultiSeal Tire Sealant

Anyone used this in their tires to help prevent tire issues and blowouts? Seems like a good product just not sure how well it works.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

From my discussions with tire experts you should never put this in your tires unless its an absolute emergency.
imzady7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #3

First off it’s not going to prevent a blowout
They some time work to seal a small puncture
Now I see that they claim to be a water base instead of a latex base so clean up is better but have you ever seen what fluid inside a tractor rim does to it

What I do use it in is tubes tires on lawn and garden equipment
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:13 PM   #4

Revisiting MultiSeal for RV Tires

Found this thread and wanted to get more input.

When I purchased my RV this was offered but hasn't been installed. Still on the fence. I know tire shops hate the product called Slime which can be purchased at auto parts stores.

MultiSeal is suppose to be a water base sealant to fill punctures. The videos online sure show like it works, they hammer a spike into a tire ad remove and the Multiseal seals the hole.

One concern I have, if I check the tire pressure and have to remove air from a tire will the MultiSeal clog (or seal) the valve stem? Plus, it is water base does that pit the aluminum rims or rust the seal rims?

2023 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Towing: 2013 MINI Cooper S
David-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:52 PM   #5
Scoundrel

I would never use anything like this in my tires. My BIL did this on one of his tires AFTER a puncture and it didn't work. There's no substitute for maintaining proper air pressure in your tires along with a quality Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-NJ View Post

When I purchased my RV this was offered but hasn't been installed. Still on the fence. I know tire shops hate the product called Slime which can be purchased at auto parts stores.

MultiSeal is suppose to be a water base sealant to fill punctures. The videos online sure show like it works, they hammer a spike into a tire ad remove and the Multiseal seals the hole.

One concern I have, if I check the tire pressure and have to remove air from a tire will the MultiSeal clog (or seal) the valve stem? Plus, it is water base does that pit the aluminum rims or rust the seal rims?
You would probably have to rotate the tire so that the valve stem was on top. The "stuff" that you put into your tire would settle on the bottom of the tire and not come out through the vavle stem.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-NJ View Post

As you stated, this product is water based, and you know what happens at 32 degrees and below without antifreeze added. I am not sure about Multi-Seal but the actual water based Fix-a-flat product states on their webpage that it will freeze if temps get below 32 degrees:

https://www.fixaflat.com/pages/can-fix-a-flat-freeze

I'm not even going to get into a discussion if the stuff actually works or not, but will post a discussion I have with customers many times a week when they bring in their vehicles for shaking problems.

Cus: My vehicle shakes and I need the tires balanced.

Me: What speeds does it shake at, low speed, medium, high speed?

Cus: It's usually high speeds, I just need the tires balanced.

Me: Have you put any kind of fix-a-flat product in the tire?

Cus: Yeah, but that's not the problem.

Me: Yeah, it actually is and I have to dismount the tire and take it out as that's causing your imbalance, and probably repair the problem where it was leaking. You have to pay me to do all this. including the time spent cleaning it out, drying the tire out, cleaning up my equipment where that stuff gets on it, etc. Also I will not guarantee any patch due to all that stuff being in there previously.

Here is a link to another tire business take on it, which is a little more extreme than mine, but you will get the point:

https://www.campanellas.com/blog/tir...at-use-caution

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:46 AM   #8
Site Team

I looked up MultiSeal and this is on their product page. For the reason below, I would not recommend using them in your motorhome either. Maybe push you off the fence. LOL

Can I use FlatOut™ Tire Sealant by MULTI SEAL® in my passenger vehicle? MULTI SEAL® does not recommend the use of our products in passenger vehicles or light-duty trucks/SUVs (including ½-ton trucks).
Does our product seal punctures and slow leaks in passenger car tires? Yes. Is there a chance for high-speed vibration? Yes. Does this happen in every passenger car tire? No.
We are conservative in our approach, and we would rather sacrifice some business than have unhappy customers.
You may be asking yourself: Why would there potentially be high-speed vibration in passenger car tires treated with FlatOut™ ? Many factors influence this, such as lighter construction of the tire, lower tire pressure, lighter vehicle weight, lighter construction of the suspension, tire deflection during road impacts and size of tire/road contact patch. In some cases, if the tire is slightly out of balance, the sealant can amplify the problem.
Frankly, we are wary of any tire additive or sealant that recommends use in passenger vehicles. Also, in most cases, the recommended dosage is so small that you do not get effective tire coverage. Plus, don’t be fooled by outrageous claims that a sealant has special ingredients that make it balance tires; the physics of any liquid at high speed in a passenger car tire are the same.
In addition to potential balance issues, MULTI SEAL® does not recommend the use of our tire additive with internal Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS). While some TPMS sensors in the industrial sector are liquid-friendly, most TPMS sensors in the passenger vehicle market are not. Once again, MULTI SEAL® is conservative in our approach, and we do not want to risk an unhappy customer.
Beware of sealants that state they are “TPMS Safe,” as this really depends on the type of TPMS and sensors. There is nothing magical that is added to make a sealant “TPMS Safe” … a liquid is a liquid. Be sure to read the fine print.
To learn more, read our blog here on passenger vehicles and tire sealant.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, tire