Old 07-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Murphy bed

I have a FR microlite- 21DS. It came with a Murphy bed with piano hinge at the pivot point.
The problem I have is the hinge is separating from the frame. The right side of the hinge has begun separating from the base, approx 2-3 inches are pulled free from where it is attached. The left side is showing sign of separating also.
How can I fix this?
I am 3 months out of the one year warranty.
Any recommendation/ suggestions with regards to repairing the problem.
Thank you, Ron

Old 10-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

I have this as well on mine (after only 6 months) and need to get it in under warranty. In my option there needs to be a metal strip on each side of the upright piece the bed attaches to this would allow for real bolts with nylock nuts to be used instead of wood screws that are obviously not doing the job. I can't figure out how I would get in there to do it.

Sent from my iPad 18 using Forest River Forums

Old 10-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwatson908 View Post
I have a FR microlite- 21DS. It came with a Murphy bed with piano hinge at the pivot point.
The problem I have is the hinge is separating from the frame. The right side of the hinge has begun separating from the base, approx 2-3 inches are pulled free from where it is attached. The left side is showing sign of separating also.
How can I fix this?
I am 3 months out of the one year warranty.
Any recommendation/ suggestions with regards to repairing the problem.
Thank you, Ron
Hello, go back to your dealer have him look at the problem and send request to FR. Also contact the person below, show pictures with detialed discription they should cover the warranty, but dealer has to put in request form. Good Luck
Jessica Wiggin
Warranty/Service administrator
Forest River Rpod & Surveyor
Phone 574-642-3119 ext 208
Fax 574-970-6811
Email jwiggin@forestriverinc.com
Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I have this as well on mine (after only 6 months) and need to get it in under warranty. In my option there needs to be a metal strip on each side of the upright piece the bed attaches to this would allow for real bolts with nylock nuts to be used instead of wood screws that are obviously not doing the job. I can't figure out how I would get in there to do it.
I have the 25KS, but my Murphy Bed piano hinge was also coming loose, in repairing it I discovered FR had missed the aluminum rib with the screws on that end of the hinge when installing the MB, so it was only screwed into the thin plywood,... I cut into that area from/thru the outside storage compartments on each side, its very thin paneling, easy to cut with just a hacksaw blade or carpet knife,.... then I could reach into that area(sort of crawled in) and drilled and added four 1/4" screws with washers and Nylock nuts,.... was then and still is under warranty, but sometimes its just easier and quicker to do somethings yourself,... our nearest FR dealer is two hrs away and no idea how long they would keep the tt to do the repair,...... plus we didn't buy from them, so that might have been a problem,.... I just prefer to do what I can myself,....

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

21ds bed hinge problems

My 2015 microlite 21 ds is out of warrant. The Murphy bed hinges on both ends are separating. It's worse on the right.
I understand the repair will be costly and I'm attempting to repair myself.
My suggestion to FR, please add stronger supports for the bed. A serious defect costing your customers!
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 10-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwatson908 View Post
My 2015 microlite 21 ds is out of warrant. The Murphy bed hinges on both ends are separating. It's worse on the right.
I understand the repair will be costly and I'm attempting to repair myself.
My suggestion to FR, please add stronger supports for the bed. A serious defect costing your customers!
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you
if its the same problem as with my hinge(post #4 above), it won't be expensive to DIY,..... just a few 1/4" bolts, Nylock nuts, and washers, .... less than $10, ... but its not an easy job, because of the confined space you have to work in, but it is very do-able, ....

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed