Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

My worse nightmare and then some!!!

What a weekend....... what began as a simple trip to a State Park 45 miles away has just been horrific!!!! Firday night we get to the campground to find we really didn't have reservations........... they were for Sunday and Monday....... ok Strike 1....... should have gone home! Nope the campground got us a full hook up. We backed in without a problem. Connected electric and then water........ Water you say??? Yes leaking out of the top of the basement. Go back down to campground office get refund for Saturday night. Saturday morning get up and drive 140 miles to St Louis. On the way to St Louis we stop for gas and I lock us out of the truck! Stike 2.... Bill Thomas Camper Sales quickly and efficiently fixes our water problem. On to State Park #2. We manage to get a site and relax the rest of the day. Sunday... get up, clean up, pack up and head for home. Get home and go to put the hitch in maneuver mode......... well pulled the wrong friggin lever and dropped my brand new 5FW ... onto bed of truck!!! Strike 3.... OH after the FIRST heartstopping moment we raise it up put it back on hitch and back it into driveway............. NOW the friggin thing is STUCK in the hitch.......... ...........unlocked but stuck. Have roadside assistance out there helping DH to get them unconnected. Is like animals having sex.......... can't get them uncoupled!!! Have to laugh about it ... if not I will cry or puke or scream or something!!! thank you for just letting me cry a bit. Those of you who have done it will understand....... those that haven't........... I hope you don't. OK so now the truck and the FW have been parted and the tow guy says......... oh no don't hook again til you have someone look at it and at the kingpin itself!!! We are supposed to leave on Thursday for a trip!!! Means I have to get someone here in the next 3 days!!! I believe that the only damage to the FW is cosmetic. The truck fared a bit worse. We now have a concave tail gate (DH said he wanted one of those fancy 5th wheel tailgates) and the side rails are a bit ummmmmmmm dented. The electric box on the hitch is a bit bent on one corner. BUT the kingpin looks ok. Am upset, embarrassed and sick to my stomach over this. But everything is fixable to include this.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

sorry to hear about all of that
but
as we know
THINGS could be worse

question
is there plenty of grease on that hitch THING ??

may your trips from here on out
be blessed

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Rough trip

Wow, sounds like all kinds of fun was had by all (Sarcasm font "OFF")
Now that you've gotten all of that yucky stuff out of the way you should be able to enjoy the rig and have some fun.
Good luck in the future.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
sorry to hear about all of that
but
as we know
THINGS could be worse

question
is there plenty of grease on that hitch THING ??

may your trips from here on out
be blessed

Mountainman
sorry .... call me dumb but what hitch thing???

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #5

Oh man, it makes me feel ill just to read of your misfortune. As you said, everything is fixable.

Thanks for the belly laugh about the truck and fifth wheel stuck like they were having animal sex. I'm still chuckling over this. Again, I'm sorry for your mishap

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote