Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #1

Mystery water leak

At the end of last season we noticed a drip on the underside of the trailer on the slide side but seemed to be coming from somewhere around the black water gate. It is not black water - either fresh or grey. We have it hooked up to the city water so it's not coming from from the fresh water tank. We have filled up and drained and flushed and done as much trouble shooting as we can. The whole underside seemed to hade filled with water. We cut a small hole in the corrugated plastic under belly cover and there was water sitting there and the insulation was wet. When we pushed up in the cover it sounded like water drained out - we are now hauling our trailer out of the seasonal site we are on to a repair shop as we can't figure out where the water is coming from. Is it possible for water to be gettin in between the wall and pooling underneath. Anyone else run into this and know the cause? I don't want repair place grasping at straws and costing us a fortune.
mhkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

We have a 274rk cherokee
Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

From your description it could be a ton of things, I think I would start by checking all my plumbing fittings to ensure nothing is leaking. It may require you to pull the under belly covering. I would think the shop would not be able to pin point the cause without some discovery so it may be cheap or costly depending on the hourly rate.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

How do you know it is not a holding tank? I had the same issue on one of my previous campers and it ended up being a a bad gasket on one of the holding tank runs.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post
How do you know it is not a holding tank? I had the same issue on one of my previous campers and it ended up being a a bad gasket on one of the holding tank runs.

We filled the tanks up and could not reproduce the leak
Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

Are your gate valves under the camper or at the discharge location that you can see. Also maybe a connection was not glued together, I've seen that as well.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #7

Done everything we can for now - trailer has been taken to a dealer to see if they can find it
Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Ever tow in the rain?...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:35 AM   #9

The leak started after it had been sitting at our seasonal site all summer with the slide out. But we are going to have them check the seals
Old 05-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We had a similar issue but it was with the black tank where the tank had slipped off of the very in adequate supports that hold the tanks and the discharge pipe had slipped out of its gasket where it enters the tank. Fortunately it was still under warranty at the time and the dealer had to reset the black tank reseal the discharge pipe and they actually put better bracing in to hold the tanks in position. It sounds like you have a similar situation. How we found out about it was I was sitting outside and kept hearing a drip drip drip and look underneath the trailer and saw this water dripping out from where the underbelly covering had a seam I cut a small hole with my pocket knife in the covering and sure and off the whole stream of black water came pouring out.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #11

Turns out it was a very poorly done winterization that we had paid someone to do as we were unable to get back up to the seasonal site to do it ourselves. A couple of the couplings were shattered

Tags
leak, water, water leak