Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Can't find the chart at the moment, but it states, wheelbase in inched divided by 5 equals max trailer length in feet. Let's call you Expedition 120 inches, and divide by 5 we get 24 feet for max trailer length. OOPS, you will need a good "anti sway" hitch and proper set up. I'm not saying don't make the deal, and your truck will pull the weight, but watch out for sway, has toppled more than one vacation and changed many lives.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou
From a post of mine on another thread

Sometimes overlooked is trailer length vs tow vehicle wheel base.

There is a formula that deals with this. There really is a "maximum safe trailer length" for your wheel base.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
i'm going to stay away form the tow viehicle to trailer ratings. i would check and see if ur viehicle came with the sway contorl. i believe it was offered on our 2010 as an option. i don't know if it was available in 2005 or not.

i do have an openion on the water. water is 8.3lbs/gal. i have mixed feelings on this because of ur tow viehicle and the weight. i usually have at least a half tank of water. i have stayed in one full hook up park that lost the well abt an hour after i parked and i had a dry tank. u may want to use the toilet while on the road (at least in La they seem to be taring down the rest stops). u will need something to flush the toilet.

go to wally world and get u a 30 amp extension cord. i've stayed in one of the state campgrounds that i had to use an extension to reach the electrical service. make sure u have an adapter to go down to 20 amp if needed.

Most of all, find a campground not far away from where u can buy little items u may need for the chemicals, chocks, dishwashing liquid...campgounds with a 24 hr store within 5 miles would be nice. that way you wouldn't dirve forever then discover u need something else.
u want to make a short run and campout in it to get the feel of pulling the trailer.
it isn't as easy to turn it around. overhead clearance and width of the road are importiant.
oh ur mirrows. i don't think ur stock mirrows are going to give u a good view. they have mirrows that strap on and work ok. i tried them on my 92 truck and they were ok in daytime but at night, there was too much shake.

u asked abt the brake controler, i can't help u there. make sure they are capable of powering the number of brakes u have (on the trailer). i have had two trailers and two controllers, neither trailer has locked the brakes on my 5th wheel. i can lock them on a cargo trailer though. in a word, they assist, u have to allow extra space to stop. in town, i try to stay abt 3 to 4 seconds back.

welcome. hope u enjoy it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
Hey Will......We just made our first trip last week from Okla to St. Louis area. Our 2007 Expedition EL did a good job towing our new 29' 7700 lb Salem. I've decided I may have had my foot in it a lil too much because of only 7mpg for the 425 mile trip. Had no sway issues whatsoever. Have decided on the next trip I WILL NOT be in such a hurry and see what milage does. BTW...We left the trailer in Illinois and got 17mpg on the trip home.
2 more days work...then retirement and lots more days traveling.

2010 Salem LA 292FKDS
One of the Original 14 F.R.O.G.s
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote