Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #1

Talking Need advice ! New to the TT world !

I've always enjoyed camping,hunting,fishing in the deep south, there's nothing like it. But I've decided that it's time for a TT and to travel different parts of the country. I found a great deal on a starter TT (2006 rockwood 2701 SS ) its hardly been used for $8500 from a co-worker, I will take delivery of it in about a month and will put up pics. My questions are 1) What kind of electrical cord should I get alone with other equipment? 2) My TV is a 2005 Eddie bauer Expedition 5.4 HD tow pkg. 8900# is this sufficient? 3) Should I tow it with the water tanks full or empty? 4) Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, although i have read other threads on here and have got some tips already !

Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

First, congratulations and welcome to the world of RVing! Second, I don't think the 2701 is too big a trailer, but we need some more specifics on it (GVWR and length). This will help determine if you have enough truck for it. It sounds like you may be fine, but we can't know until we get the numbers. As for the electrical chord, you actually should already have one with it. In my old TT, the cord "stored" itself in the trailer (push into a holding compartment). In my new 5th wheel, it is a separate cord that I store in the front bay of the 5er. Either way, it should be a 30 amp specific cord. If your co-worker does not have this, ask him for it. Other equipment that you should have would be an equalizer hitch of some kind and an anti-sway system. Again, your co-worker may have this and sell it with the trailer. If not, you will definitely need one. Water tank empty or full? Depends on what kind of camping you will be doing. If you go to parks that have water connections, you will not need to keep water in your tank. If you "boondock" (dry camping with no hook-ups), you will need to take water with you. And probably a generator for power. That adds a lot of extra weight to the whole setup though, so just keep that in mind.

Okay, I'll shut up now and let someone else have a shot! Again, welcome!

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

to the forum and congrats on you new camper. The only question that I can offer an opinion on is whether you should travel with your water tank full or not. As EdJunior said, most parks have water connections and you should be able to fill up your tank when you arrive or if you have a campsite that has water, just hook up when you set up your camper. I personally don't like travelling with a full water tank because I believe that hauling around an extra 300-400 pounds of water will just result in extra wear and tear on the vehicles and lower fuel mileage. But whether or not you want to travel with full water tank is, obviously, your call. Hope you have many fun and trouble free trips with your new rig.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

Thanks! The TT is 27', but its like 31.5' overall in length
GVWR = 6,497 lbs
UVW (UNLOADED) = 5,014 lbs
31 GAL. WATER = 257 lbs
9 GALS LPG = 41 lbs
Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
an equalizer hitch of some kind and an anti-sway system. Again, your co-worker may have this and sell it with the trailer.

Just a heads up, the actual generic term is weight distributing hitch. Equalizer is a brand of WD hitch that has a built in sway control system.

Other items to consider:

Chocks for between the wheels (homemade or purchased) to stabilze the trailer

Levellers (again homemade or purchased)

Sewer hose which may or may not come w/ the TT
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Just a heads up, the actual generic term is weight distributing hitch. Equalizer is a brand of WD hitch that has a built in sway control system.
Good point, and good catch. Thanks for the clarification!

And yes, I think the Expy will do just fine. One thing you may want to keep an eye on the tires. Not sure what's on there, but since it's the "uppity" Eddie Bauer, it may have some "soft" tires on it (more for ride than function). Just something to be aware of.

Otherwise, sounds like you're getting plenty of good stuff. Hope you enjoy it!
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Good point, and good catch. Thanks for the clarification!

And yes, I think the Expy will do just fine. One thing you may want to keep an eye on the tires. Not sure what's on there, but since it's the "uppity" Eddie Bauer, it may have some "soft" tires on it (more for ride than function). Just something to be aware of.

Otherwise, sounds like you're getting plenty of good stuff. Hope you enjoy it!
Just had brand new Good Year tires installed on my TV, when i get home from work this time im having the transmission and rear differ. serviced. Also whats the best brake controllor to have installed? Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill View Post
Just had brand new Good Year tires installed on my TV, when i get home from work this time im having the transmission and rear differ. serviced. Also whats the best brake controllor to have installed? Thanks again for all the advice.
I think the point Ed was trying to make earlier about tires is you need to pay close attention to the load rating. Many SUVs come equipped with what amounts to a "car" tire not a light truck tire. These tires have softer sidewalls and are not good for towing. If you merely replaced with a like tire you haven't done yourself any favors. Truck tires have much stiffer sidewalls that help you maintain control when towing but they tend to ride hard and is why they aren't on SUVs from the factory.

You also have made no mention of the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. Most people do not heed the warning about wheelbase of TV vs length of trailer. There is a good chart on this floating around here on the forum. You can be under the weight capacity but if your wheelbase is too short you can get in real trouble when a semi passes you on the freeway doing 75mph. A friend of ours found this out the hard way just recently, her "new to her" trailer wasn't even loaded yet and she was on her way home when the wind from a passing semi pushed the trailer which was easily 6' too long for her TV and she ended up loosing control and wrecking the trailer.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #9

Looking online the wheelbase of the 2005 Ford Expedition is listed at 119", this equates to a trailer length of 23.8'. I think you may be in for a rude awakening concerning how this setup will handle on the road. The smarter people here on towning can double check my math...
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #10

Yes i had truck tires (all terrain) put on, I told the tire shop what i was going to be towing and they recommeded these. As for as the wheelbase of the TV it is 119" and Im gonna try and find that chart.