Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Canadian Member

Need Advice: Trailer Length Issue

I'm looking for advice on my next trailer. DW and I want to move from our Roo to a regular TT. My problem is my driveway is only long enough to park a trailer 29-30' long, but every floorplan DW really likes is 32-35' long. I'd like to have the trailer in my driveway to do maintenance and a few mods but anything over 30' will have the tongue on or beyond the curb.

Storage is not a problem as I can store a longer trailer at my cousin's farm about 15 mins. away from our house but I don't have access to electricity and water where it will be parked at the farm.

What options can I look into to wash and work on the trailer somewhere other than my driveway? We aren't into having a seasonal site.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, off the top of my head ya got 3 choices:

1) Get a longer driveway, either by expropriating city land or moving.
2) Convince your cousin to provide you power at the farm.
3) Convince the DW to go with a smaller trailer.

Around here, option #2 seems to be the easiest.

Seriously though, you could probably do a lot of work on the trailer out at the farm with a basic generator. I've done a fair amount in the storage lot using basic hand tools and the Dewalts.

The tricky part is getting enough water to wash the trailer. You'll need some kind of bladder or one of those tanks you see on the farm pickups, plus a small water pump. If you're willing, and there's a stream or lake or something nearby, you could pump from there, and run it through a filter and then wash the trailer. I have a friend who's parent's do something similar for their lawn sprinkler..... Or maybe some rain barrels? Those'll collect water on site for you, wouldn't even have to haul it out there.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Canadian Member

The water part would definitely be the hardest obstacle to overcome. The farm has a shallow dug well that tends to go dry in a hot, dry summer. My cousin lets me store it for free so I don't want to abuse the privilege by emptying her well trying to wash my trailer!

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew with Max. Towing
10K Equal-i-zer
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
Not all who wanderarelost

How about wash it and modify/work on it at home, if the street isnt busy, I can't imagine having the trailer stick out in the street a few feet for an hour or two would be that big a problem. Once your done with maintenance and washing it, move it on over to the farm?
3P ProPride Hitch
Old Town 15' Discovery Canoe
Yamaha 4Hp Outboard Motor
MotorCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Need Advice: Trailer Length Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCanoe View Post
How about wash it and modify/work on it at home, if the street isnt busy, I can't imagine having the trailer stick out in the street a few feet for an hour or two would be that big a problem. Once your done with maintenance and washing it, move it on over to the farm?

Ah, but he's from the GTA. 3 out of my 4 parking tickets are courtesy of the traffic enforcement in the GTA. My experiences tell me he'd be taking a big risk in letting it stick out into traffic.

And at 32-35 feet long, probably doesn't have the room between driveways to stick it either.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #6

Driveway, simple, turn it at an angle.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #7

Turn it at an angle, or, is there room to let the rear of the trailer hang past the non street end of the driveway?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:09 AM   #8
ARLO

Move. Find a place that will accommodate you.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #9

If you have a place to park it, you will find a way to wash and do maint., get what you want because you won't be happy if you don't.........

maybe you can do maint. with generator....

***just idea on water....a neighbor bought a water tank(200 gallon)....it is on a small trailer......the drain comes off lower side of tank next to bottom, so the head pressure feeds his pressure washer....his business is washing houses, cars and other cleaning projects when needed...you could do same thing, probably smaller tank....leave parked at farm....plus added benefit, if she needs water she can use it too, kind of payment for storage....add a rain catch on top and saves on fill up.....

like I say, get what you want...there is always a way to work around it....

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #10

Maintenance could be done at a campsite with the electricity there. Just go localand bring the tools you want. You might even find a few helpers as everyone enjoys mods.

I agree with others that the water is the big issue. If the wash is an important item, then you need to buy a water tank and put it on a trailer to bring to the farm.

Are there such things as truck washes? Large bays that cater to truckers to wash rigs? That might work if they have them.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer