Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Which Unit To Go With?
Coachmen Freedom Express 230BH - $1k Higher Cost 2 100.00%
Shasta Flyte 255BH 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Need Help Choosing!

Hello everyone, this is my first post here on the forum! Looks to be a great resource for FR camper owners!

Here is my dilemma. We are torn between two campers, with pretty much the same general size and layout. First off is a Shasta Flyte 255BH, and the second one is a Coachmen Freedom Express 230BH. The Shasta is coming in $1k~$2k cheaper out the door than the Coachmen, but that number has not been completely finalized yet as we are still negotiating with the dealer. But I have a feeling that no matter what, the Shasta is going to be less expensive just because of the fact of the better build quality of the Coachmen.

So that brings me to my question... if given these two units, and only around $1k separated the two in price, is the extra money worth the implied "better build" of the Coachmen? The main feature the Coachmen is being pitched with is its Azdel construction, but is that really so much better than the other materials? Also, one point for the Shasta, at least in my eyes, is that the A/C is fully ducted, where the Coachmen is not. Since all I have ever had is the standard non-ducted A/C, how much value should I place on that?

Any and all opinions would be welcome in this debate!
ThaVWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

Are you sure about the ducted a/c on the flyte
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

One is a TT one is an HTT? Is that right or am I missing something?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

well the Shasta weighs significantly more. what are you towing with? After double checking weights. sit in each trailer and imagine their use. act out daily activities ir mom cooking, kids playing like on a rainy day, and dad walking to bathroom and watching TV. next think about where you will put things. ie moms clothes in this closet, dishes in that cabinet, kids toys in that drawer, outside chairs in that compartment etc. also are there any differences in warranty? any notable difference that matter to you in build quality? you will start to see a clear winner. none of us can make this choice for you. we can advise on things like tow capabilities, Floorplan nuances like can you get to bathroom with slide in (on trailers with slides) etc. ultimately different loop plan things work for different people so you need to decide.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
One is a TT one is an HTT? Is that right or am I missing something?
it looks like some but not all Shasta flytes are htt. I think the one the OP is asking about is not a htt.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote