Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
want a Cat 293REX

Post Need help picking our FW please!

Hello and thank you for this forum!

Please help us narrow down our search for our fiver for our upcoming FT travel in our land yacht!

We are looking for a 29-32 ft fifth wheel with a 'dry weight' of no more than 10K that we will be living in for at least a year full time. We would like the following specs but a well constructed fiver is important to us and we are looking for some good reviews:

Specs:

29-32 ft fifth wheel
10K dry weight
no bunks
Nite stand shelf
separate toilet
no galley island

Thank you for all your advice and links! We appreciate it!
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #2

I have the Flagstaff 8528 CKWS and am very pleased with the value for dollar. The flooplan gives a large living area with ample kitchen space. Lots of basement storage and will fit within your criteria.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ries=ClassicFW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8528CKWS.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	13934  
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #3

There are so many floor plans you really need to search online for ones you think you would like. One word of caution. Terms like DRY or SHIPPING are totally meaninglesd. Look ar GVWR numbers. You may never hit the GVWR but I would also gusrantee you will never see the dry weights either. Base everything on gross weights and stick with factory TV GVWR and your experiences will be pleadant.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

I know that it is frequently said that dry weight is meaningless, but that may not be true. If, for example, you know that you tend to load up with 1200 lbs. of stuff, then your loaded weight will be 1200 more than the dry weight. The GVWR is what becomes irrelevant.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Flagstaff 8528RKWS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS Floorplan.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	14074  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #6

I agree. As far as floor plan for the weight restriction you are looking at, the 8528 RKWS is a good choice. I went full time and looked around - a lot. I had a relatively new Toyota Tundra that I loved, do I went light. I'm assuming you already have a truck and you're trying to stay under the limit for that vehicle. Be sure to look at the gross vehicle weight and towing capacity. Remember what you carry in your trick counts against your limit, which includes people. My RV weighs in in the high 8000 range with all my normal stuff loaded and a forth tank of fresh water. That's the way I like to travel. If I put extra tools in, I'm still hitting less than 9k. I pull it all over, including high passes in Colorado, at highway speeds when the winds cooperate. If they are against me I drop it down below the posted limit to save fuel.
Mikemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

It will almost always weigh more then the dry weight. 1,200 lbs is not enough for full timing. I would plan to be near the trailer weight limit. You will have lots of choices and all that I have seen have separate toilets. Good luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #8

If you are full-timing, I would avoid the "lightweights", as their insulation, frames, axles, and many other items are indeed lightweight.
They don't even have roof rafters!
We have a 28 foot Flagstaff (really 31 feet), and I wouldn't full-time in it. We bought it only because it was light, and we don't use it heavily.

You might have a hard time finding a fifth with seperate toilet and all of the other features you want, as it seems that the manufacturers are going more toward a fully-enclosed bathroom.

You may also want to consider a slightly longer trailer, as there are many that still come in under 10K lbs, and many of them have a bedroom slideout, which gives you so much more room and storage.

The Sabre 32RCTS is at the top of your load range, but would be an awesome full-time unit. The Sabres are very well built. The 31RLTS is also very nice, although it appears they use lighter axles, as the load capacity is less.

And even though this is a Forest River site, don't rule out the other makes. Keystone has some very nice fifths in that weight range, the Cougar High Country fifths with the "helium" construction especially so, and they have thicker walls than some, thus better insulation.

I would suggest spending a considerable amount of time on the internet, researching all of the different models and their features. If you are going to full-time for a year, you will want something that is comfortable.
Once you have a few fifths picked out, go and see them in person, as that is the only way to be sure of the quality. Pull out drawers, look inside cabinet boxes, compare frame sizes and axle weights, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you don't mind shopping, picking out a new camper can be lots of fun!
Good luck!
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Love my lightweight Flagstaff:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8526RLWS.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	14349  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #10

Lou, I really like my Flagstaff too, but I still wouldn't advise anyone to full-time in one.
Just trying to provide an honest opinion.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #11

Lots of suggestions. Did you make a purchase? Interested to know how you made out.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #12

The best way to look at trailers is to go to a RV show. You will find many different dealers and manufactures at the show. If you do go to a show bring a camera and take lots of pic. of the different units you like, including the dealers name. If you are like me. I have a very good memory but it is short.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad