Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

Need input on upgrading from TT to bunkhouse 5th Wheel

First, some background info. I have a family of 4 (kids are 7 & 9) and 2 small dogs (less than 20lbs, have a small crate. We are quite active and most of our camping trips revolve around mountain biking and hiking, which means we usually have our 4 bikes with us. When we first started looking at camping a couple of years ago, we almost bought a popup. We didn't know if we would like it, or use it that much. After I realized that I could get a TT for close to the same money as a popup, we purchased a 2015 Grey Wolf 23DBH. Now my wife really likes the camper and the layout, and we've had extremely good luck the unit. We've only had 1 issue, and that was the heater - it went out at the worst time, but it was fixed under warranty and has been great since. I on the other hand feel cramped. I'm 6'3" and have a hard time sleeping as there isn't quite enough room to lay flat out in the master. Also, there isn't as much storage as I'd like. My kids have a lot of stuff/games, and with all of our activities, I would like a little more room to store things.

Now, all that said, I REALLY want to move up to a 5th wheel bunkhouse. My wife isn't too keen on it as we don't NEED ($$$) it. We're already glamping, so I'd like to be comfortable in what I'm paying for and maintaining.

What I do know is I want one under 35' and under $35K, optionally would like another bathroom with it's own outside door, and a decent size black/gray tank. Generally, most of the bunkhouse layouts have the majority of what I'm looking for. I realize I'm asking this on the Forest River forums (as I have one currently) but I'm looking at the Wildcat series (312QBX and 31SAX) as well as Jayco HT's and Keystone Sprinters. My main concern is potential issues with ANY (not just the Wildcat) of the 5th wheel bunkhouse models that I should be aware of. My parents purchased a Rockwood TT last year and it has been an absolute lemon...FR gave them another year of warranty because of all the issues they've had and continue to have. As far as price is concerned, I'm not afraid to drive to get a good deal, ie, keeping it under $35K - I drove from Florida to Ohio to purchase my TT.
Any help/opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Cheers
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

Forgot to add that my TV is a 2012 F250 diesel shortbed.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

What do you tow with? You may want to look at a toy hauler, so place to put you bikes when you are on the road, has drop down bunks for the kids, usually have 2 doors. Just a thought.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

I have a 2012 F250 Diesel. I've looked at toy haulers, but 2 primary things keep me from going there: they're usually more expensive, and longer/heavier. Otherwise, it would be a great option.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #5

5th wheel bunk houses are extremely popular, especially in the price range you are wanting. Since you aren't brand new to campers, you have a pretty good idea what to look for. I just replaced my 5er bunk house after 13 years. I made up a list of things I really wanted and then started looking at every manufacturers web site I could find. Narrowed it down to 3 trailers. Drove 3 hours up to nearly Chicago to see a Keystone Sprinter and knew it wasn't what I wanted, despite it being "perfect" on paper. Drove 2 hours the next weekend to see my Chaparral and in 10 minutes, DW said "this is it."

If you haven't considered layout (other than a bunk house), there are little things that can make the trailer a better fit for you. I wanted a kitchen on the street side (away from the door) and I wanted to be able to see the TV from all the living room seating. Also wanted a "polar package" with extra insulation and large holding tanks.

A web search will help check the boxes and narrow the options, but nothing beats a walk through in person.

Have fun shopping.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 PM   #6

Need input on upgrading from TT to bunkhouse 5th Wheel

The thing you will like most about a 5th over a tt is so much nicer and relaxing to tow! There is another style of bh out other than just the one in the back of the unit. Check out the Heritage Gleb 368rlbhk. I know it is on the big side, but it has a different floor plan the you might like. Might find a smaller trailer with same type of bh floor plan out there.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #7

We were in the same position 5 to 6 years ago, we had a Hybrid, 2 kids a dog, bikes etc.
We traded in and purchased a Jayco Eagle Lite 31.5 FBHS. It was 34.5 feet, had 4 bunk beds in the front and a rear queen bed. It was about 25K back then. It was great, in 5 years we put over 30K in traveling on it.. recently we traded it in on FR Heritage Glen 368RLBHK which is a bunk house as well but 42 feet. I am planning to retire in 5 years so, it was more of a retirement, 6 months in southern US during the winter type of trailer. With the kids, I would also focus on an out door kitchen..

just my thoughts
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

my wife & i have rented, borrowed etc RV's in past years.
all were TT style 33-35ft long. my wife has some trouble with tight spaces
so after a few days she would get claustrophobic. BUT we loved
what we experienced. so when we decided to buy our own, a
5th wheel was a strong consideration. when she walked in "ours"
she said "i love the space". we are now the owners of a 27.5ft 5'ver
and my wife loves it. that was the main deciding factor.
for my wife, the shorter 5'ver was more "space" than the longer TT.
again, disclaimer, that was our experience & purpose for our 5'ver purchase.
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

I'm sorry I didn't pin the site, there is a 5r BH with 1/2 bath and second door. The 5r and pin weight were just over my limits, she wouldn't let me get a new truck!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watarski View Post
First, some background info. I have a family of 4 (kids are 7 & 9) and 2 small dogs (less than 20lbs, have a small crate. We are quite active and most of our camping trips revolve around mountain biking and hiking, which means we usually have our 4 bikes with us. When we first started looking at camping a couple of years ago, we almost bought a popup. We didn't know if we would like it, or use it that much. After I realized that I could get a TT for close to the same money as a popup, we purchased a 2015 Grey Wolf 23DBH. Now my wife really likes the camper and the layout, and we've had extremely good luck the unit. We've only had 1 issue, and that was the heater - it went out at the worst time, but it was fixed under warranty and has been great since. I on the other hand feel cramped. I'm 6'3" and have a hard time sleeping as there isn't quite enough room to lay flat out in the master. Also, there isn't as much storage as I'd like. My kids have a lot of stuff/games, and with all of our activities, I would like a little more room to store things.

Now, all that said, I REALLY want to move up to a 5th wheel bunkhouse. My wife isn't too keen on it as we don't NEED ($$$) it. We're already glamping, so I'd like to be comfortable in what I'm paying for and maintaining.

What I do know is I want one under 35' and under $35K, optionally would like another bathroom with it's own outside door, and a decent size black/gray tank. Generally, most of the bunkhouse layouts have the majority of what I'm looking for. I realize I'm asking this on the Forest River forums (as I have one currently) but I'm looking at the Wildcat series (312QBX and 31SAX) as well as Jayco HT's and Keystone Sprinters. My main concern is potential issues with ANY (not just the Wildcat) of the 5th wheel bunkhouse models that I should be aware of. My parents purchased a Rockwood TT last year and it has been an absolute lemon...FR gave them another year of warranty because of all the issues they've had and continue to have. As far as price is concerned, I'm not afraid to drive to get a good deal, ie, keeping it under $35K - I drove from Florida to Ohio to purchase my TT.
Any help/opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Cheers
I have had 2 Sierras and hardly any problems that i couldn't fix the 365saq and the Sierra376BHOK i have now, that been said if you are buying new there are options you can do for example i had them remove the theater seating and table and putting in free standing table and 2 lazy boys it comes with fire place and out door kitchen and swing around BBQNow i have a GMC dually duramax and it stops side wind push.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bunk, bunkhouse, wheel