Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Need some advice in choosing upgrade TT

Man, am I confused. I know what i want, but there is so much to choose from. I was hoping someone could at least steer me in the right direction
BTW, this isn't happening until next year at the earliest. We just bought our rockwood Roo last May, and DH will hit the roof if I talk about buying another already. But I thought I could at least start looking.

We have an low mileage Excursion (tow capacity 9200 lb) that we love so definitely TT vs 5er. I'd like to stay with GVWR of around 7500-8000 lbs so we are comfortable pulling through mountains. It's just the two of us, so only need one bed with a pullout couch for the occasional guest. I'd like two recliners, a couch, lots of floor space and storage space, so at least one big slide, island kitchen (hopefully) and free standing kitchen table. Outdoor kitchen isn't a must. Don't need a tub.

We haven't had a bit of trouble with our Roo, so we are spoiled and would rather stay away from the "value" line of TT, if there is such a thing. Oh, and this most likely will be our retirement TT (she says now) so I would like to be very happy with it.

I've probably forgotten other must-haves.

Any suggestions on what line to start looking at?
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

This Wildcat might fit the bill for you. It has theater seating that reclines and all the other features you are looking for. The dinette can be ordered with a free standing. Dry weight without options is 7064 so that would give you the range you need. Depending on where you camp, I would option in the 2nd AC which will add a couple hundred pounds. One nice thing, even though they are most likely Chinese, the tires are load range E. Our 35' Flagstaff only had load range C

I have some friends with a Wildcat 5th wheel and they love it.

Wildcat Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Here are some pictures of one that a dealer has. Even though this is not near Chicago, I am sure Johnston RV will answer any questions you may have. http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/John...2RLI-118123720
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
This Wildcat might fit the bill for you. It has theater seating that reclines and all the other features you are looking for. The dinette can be ordered with a free standing. Dry weight without options is 7064 so that would give you the range you need. Depending on where you camp, I would option in the 2nd AC which will add a couple hundred pounds. One nice thing, even though they are most likely Chinese, the tires are load range E. Our 35' Flagstaff only had load range C

I have some friends with a Wildcat 5th wheel and they love it.

Wildcat Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Here are some pictures of one that a dealer has. Even though this is not near Chicago, I am sure Johnston RV will answer any questions you may have. 2017 Forest River Wildcat 312RLI, Decatur AL - - RVtrader.com

Thanks, that looks nice! I'm a bit confused though, it says GVWR is 9680 lbs, which would put us over our max. But that is the total weight including all cargo allowed, right? Its not like we have to load it up that much? But with a dry weight of 7064, are we risking being too heavy by the time propane, batteries, water, cargo are loaded to traveling though the mountains? Are we better off starting with a lower dry weight?
stairs, and counting...
Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

9680 is the maximum capacity. Apparently this unit has a substantial carry capacity which is good. One other thing to look at is the load "carrying" capacity of your Excursion. It is basicly and F250 Super Duty so you should be ok. Realistic tongue weight loaded is going to be +- 1000 lbs. You need to figures passengers and anything else you are carrying in the excursion.

By the way, here is a pic of one with the free standing dinette that can be ordered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wildcat Free Standing dinette.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	122780  
99 Terry 31G
Old 10-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
9680 is the maximum capacity. Apparently this unit has a substantial carry capacity which is good. One other thing to look at is the load "carrying" capacity of your Excursion. It is basicly and F250 Super Duty so you should be ok. Realistic tongue weight loaded is going to be +- 1000 lbs. You need to figures passengers and anything else you are carrying in the excursion.

By the way, here is a pic of one with the free standing dinette that can be ordered.
Salivating over that table.
stairs, and counting...
Old 10-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
Site Team

karrun, you mentioned 5th wheel in your first post.
you're not going to be able to tow one with an Excursion.
So are you willing to dump it for a 5th wheel?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Any suggestions on what line to start looking at?
....sounds like you need one like mine.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Take a look at the Flagstaff 831RKBSS. We have one and it sounds like it fits all your requirements. The floor space is huge in the bedroom and living room. Tons of storage and closet space.

The only down side is not being able to access the fridge and pantry when the slide is in, but we've learned to deal with it.
nanannjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
VaJim

tt

We love our V-lite about 7000 empty and had all the features we wanted.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
karrun, you mentioned 5th wheel in your first post.
you're not going to be able to tow one with an Excursion.
So are you willing to dump it for a 5th wheel?
Bikendan, the Ex isn't going. I said TT vs. 5er.
Thanks,
Karen
stairs, and counting...
Old 10-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #11

All right, at least I've got it narrowed down to a few brands now. I'll look these over. thanks everyone for the input.
stairs, and counting...
Old 10-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #12

Rockwood 8329SS.
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

TT next year

Karrun, I am going to make a suggestion that others may not agree with. My DW and I just got into the RV lifestyle 4 years ago right after I retired. We knew absolutely nothing above RVing. I started out by visiting every dealership within 100 miles of my home. However someone mentioned to me that every year sometime in the middle of Sept. there is a RV show in Hershey PA. This is supposedly the largest RV show in the USA. It will take you a good 2 days probably 3 to see it all if you are taking time to look and compare. I believe every Manufacture is represented at this show. The nice thing about this show is if you have your pick narrowed down to a couple of units you can compare all the features right there. It makes is very easy to see and compare the difference in the quality and other features you are interested in. After going to this show for 3 years before if purchased we thought we knew exactly what we wanted however there was so many other brands and models that we had not seen in our search that we ended up buy one that had everything we wanted and much more. We also were able to buy at a much cheaper cost than we could have during our search.
we bought at 38% of the MSRP. I hope this helps you. Good luck with your search and I have one last piece of advice. If you really enjoy RVing and plan to do this once you retire, I would suggest you really think through your thoughts of where you might end up. If there is even a chance you might want you have something a litter larger in the future I would really consider a new TV. I didn't listen to everyone that cautioned me to make sure I had extra towing capacity and ended up having to buy a new one. If you are towing at or near capacity and you plan to go across county into the real mountains you will definitely need more power than you currently have.
flagstaffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #14

We upgraded from a TT to a fifth wheel. Main reason was wardrobe storage, and not pulling a 32 to 35 trailer. We now have a 33 5er and after 5 weeks on the road we found we made all the right decisions regarding storage, living space and ease of towing. 18 wheelers never affected our rig. In fact, most times, I didn't know one was passing until I heard it. Just my two pennies.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffman View Post
Karrun, I am going to make a suggestion that others may not agree with. My DW and I just got into the RV lifestyle 4 years ago right after I retired. We knew absolutely nothing above RVing. I started out by visiting every dealership within 100 miles of my home. However someone mentioned to me that every year sometime in the middle of Sept. there is a RV show in Hershey PA. This is supposedly the largest RV show in the USA. It will take you a good 2 days probably 3 to see it all if you are taking time to look and compare. I believe every Manufacture is represented at this show. The nice thing about this show is if you have your pick narrowed down to a couple of units you can compare all the features right there. It makes is very easy to see and compare the difference in the quality and other features you are interested in. After going to this show for 3 years before if purchased we thought we knew exactly what we wanted however there was so many other brands and models that we had not seen in our search that we ended up buy one that had everything we wanted and much more. We also were able to buy at a much cheaper cost than we could have during our search.
we bought at 38% of the MSRP. I hope this helps you. Good luck with your search and I have one last piece of advice. If you really enjoy RVing and plan to do this once you retire, I would suggest you really think through your thoughts of where you might end up. If there is even a chance you might want you have something a litter larger in the future I would really consider a new TV. I didn't listen to everyone that cautioned me to make sure I had extra towing capacity and ended up having to buy a new one. If you are towing at or near capacity and you plan to go across county into the real mountains you will definitely need more power than you currently have.
Karrun:

I think you've just missed the Hershey show (not to mention it's about 700 mi away from you). But don't despair - I see you live in my neck of the woods.

We had a Roo 19 and wanted to move up to at TT. In Jan-Feb of 2015, DW and I did 5 RV shows - Indianapolis, South Bend (1 trip), Madison, Chicago and Milwaukee. South Bend was pretty small (mostly Class C's for some reason), Indianapolis and Chicago were very large, Milwaukee and Madison were average. We found a Micro-Lite we really liked at the Chicago show and ordered it's Mini-Lite twin from a dealer at the Milwaukee show (we've bought 3 units from that dealer).

So you have other show options.

PS: There's also a show in Rockford at the end of March; it's somewhat small, but probably not too far from you.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.

Karrun, another thing you may consider doing since you are so close to Goshen is do a factory tour once you have selected what model you want.

If you are able to, sell you Roo outright once you decide, so you won't get burned on a trade. (Don't ask me how I know)
99 Terry 31G
Old 10-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjohn View Post
Rockwood 8329SS.
X2 on the 8329SS it comes with that table you like. Flagstaff makes same unit, 832IKBS is the model number. 2015 has a max weight of 8800 lbs. 2017 is 9000+ lbs. nothing really changed except axles. The older axles are rated 3500 lbs each. New ones I believe are rated 4000 lbs.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #18

Advice on choosing tt

Just FYI to all those on forum rocky mountain RV in Utah is going out of business. If you are considering buying a new or used rv check them out at rocky mountain rv .com they may have some pretty good deals. It may be worth the drive.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #19
Citrus County, Fl.

The 8329SS and 832IKBS are both nice. I know, I had one and loved it. The OP is looking for something with a maximum of 8000# towing which is why I suggested the Wildcat. The 832IKBS has a dry weight of 8003# without any options. Start adding 50 amp service, 2nd AC, etc., the weight goes up and the carrying capacity goes down.

Also, the Wildcat has more than twice the carrying capacity in the event they do replace their tow vehicle down the road.
99 Terry 31G
Old 10-13-2016, 12:34 AM   #20

We bought a Salem Hemisphere 272RL and love it! It's just the weight you're looking for and sounds like what you've described. It has two slides though.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade