Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
karrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago Western Burbs
Posts: 426
Need some advice in choosing upgrade TT

Man, am I confused. I know what i want, but there is so much to choose from. I was hoping someone could at least steer me in the right direction
BTW, this isn't happening until next year at the earliest. We just bought our rockwood Roo last May, and DH will hit the roof if I talk about buying another already. But I thought I could at least start looking.

We have an low mileage Excursion (tow capacity 9200 lb) that we love so definitely TT vs 5er. I'd like to stay with GVWR of around 7500-8000 lbs so we are comfortable pulling through mountains. It's just the two of us, so only need one bed with a pullout couch for the occasional guest. I'd like two recliners, a couch, lots of floor space and storage space, so at least one big slide, island kitchen (hopefully) and free standing kitchen table. Outdoor kitchen isn't a must. Don't need a tub.

We haven't had a bit of trouble with our Roo, so we are spoiled and would rather stay away from the "value" line of TT, if there is such a thing. Oh, and this most likely will be our retirement TT (she says now) so I would like to be very happy with it.

I've probably forgotten other must-haves.

Any suggestions on what line to start looking at?
__________________

__________________
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.
 
GL1800Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hernando, Fl
Posts: 767
This Wildcat might fit the bill for you. It has theater seating that reclines and all the other features you are looking for. The dinette can be ordered with a free standing. Dry weight without options is 7064 so that would give you the range you need. Depending on where you camp, I would option in the 2nd AC which will add a couple hundred pounds. One nice thing, even though they are most likely Chinese, the tires are load range E. Our 35' Flagstaff only had load range C

I have some friends with a Wildcat 5th wheel and they love it.

Wildcat Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Here are some pictures of one that a dealer has. Even though this is not near Chicago, I am sure Johnston RV will answer any questions you may have. http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/John...2RLI-118123720
__________________

__________________
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
karrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago Western Burbs
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
This Wildcat might fit the bill for you. It has theater seating that reclines and all the other features you are looking for. The dinette can be ordered with a free standing. Dry weight without options is 7064 so that would give you the range you need. Depending on where you camp, I would option in the 2nd AC which will add a couple hundred pounds. One nice thing, even though they are most likely Chinese, the tires are load range E. Our 35' Flagstaff only had load range C

I have some friends with a Wildcat 5th wheel and they love it.

Wildcat Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Here are some pictures of one that a dealer has. Even though this is not near Chicago, I am sure Johnston RV will answer any questions you may have. 2017 Forest River Wildcat 312RLI, Decatur AL - - RVtrader.com

Thanks, that looks nice! I'm a bit confused though, it says GVWR is 9680 lbs, which would put us over our max. But that is the total weight including all cargo allowed, right? Its not like we have to load it up that much? But with a dry weight of 7064, are we risking being too heavy by the time propane, batteries, water, cargo are loaded to traveling though the mountains? Are we better off starting with a lower dry weight?
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.
 
GL1800Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hernando, Fl
Posts: 767
9680 is the maximum capacity. Apparently this unit has a substantial carry capacity which is good. One other thing to look at is the load "carrying" capacity of your Excursion. It is basicly and F250 Super Duty so you should be ok. Realistic tongue weight loaded is going to be +- 1000 lbs. You need to figures passengers and anything else you are carrying in the excursion.

By the way, here is a pic of one with the free standing dinette that can be ordered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wildcat Free Standing dinette.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	122780  
__________________
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
karrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago Western Burbs
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
9680 is the maximum capacity. Apparently this unit has a substantial carry capacity which is good. One other thing to look at is the load "carrying" capacity of your Excursion. It is basicly and F250 Super Duty so you should be ok. Realistic tongue weight loaded is going to be +- 1000 lbs. You need to figures passengers and anything else you are carrying in the excursion.

By the way, here is a pic of one with the free standing dinette that can be ordered.
Salivating over that table.
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 10,473
karrun, you mentioned 5th wheel in your first post.
you're not going to be able to tow one with an Excursion.
So are you willing to dump it for a 5th wheel?
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Any suggestions on what line to start looking at?
....sounds like you need one like mine.
__________________
2012 Ecoboost Screw, 3.31 (yes....really) rear end.
2016 Flagstaff 26FKWS, about 7500 loaded
Retired AF Mustang.....Picker always looking to jam.
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 28
Take a look at the Flagstaff 831RKBSS. We have one and it sounds like it fits all your requirements. The floor space is huge in the bedroom and living room. Tons of storage and closet space.

The only down side is not being able to access the fridge and pantry when the slide is in, but we've learned to deal with it.
__________________
nanannjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
VaJim
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 28
tt

We love our V-lite about 7000 empty and had all the features we wanted.
__________________
2010 Ram 1500 Quad 4X4 5.7L
2012 V-LITE 30WFKSS
VaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
karrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago Western Burbs
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
karrun, you mentioned 5th wheel in your first post.
you're not going to be able to tow one with an Excursion.
So are you willing to dump it for a 5th wheel?
Bikendan, the Ex isn't going. I said TT vs. 5er.
Thanks,
Karen
__________________

__________________
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.