Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Need some help!! Looking at 2 Forest River TT

Ok here is the deal. Looking at 2 different travel trailers for the family. Need help and info on deciding.

#1 - 2004 Flagstaff 829BHSS. $9100

#2 - 2006 Rockwood 8318ss #asking $12900 (has not been negotiated)

both are in good clean condition with no issues or leaks etc. Both have pretty standard appliances and options. Flagstaff has convection oven as opposed to standard oven.

The main differences I see are the difference in age, the Rockwood has the 2nd slide for the bunks, and price.

Now here is where I am stuck. I like the floorplan and the option of the 2nd slide of the Rockwood and it would be ideal, but is it worth $3000-$4000 more in price?
The Flagstaff is just as nice and I like it as well but especially like the cheaper price.
Can you justify the increased price of the Rockwood?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchance View Post
Ok here is the deal. Looking at 2 different travel trailers for the family. Need help and info on deciding.

#1 - 2004 Flagstaff 829BHSS. $9100

#2 - 2006 Rockwood 8318ss #asking $12900 (has not been negotiated)

both are in good clean condition with no issues or leaks etc. Both have pretty standard appliances and options. Flagstaff has convection oven as opposed to standard oven.

The main differences I see are the difference in age, the Rockwood has the 2nd slide for the bunks, and price.

Now here is where I am stuck. I like the floorplan and the option of the 2nd slide of the Rockwood and it would be ideal, but is it worth $3000-$4000 more in price?
The Flagstaff is just as nice and I like it as well but especially like the cheaper price.
Can you justify the increased price of the Rockwood?
When we were looking for a camper for the family, my wife and I both agreed that the more space the kids had, the better off we were. Peace of mind does have a price. That said, I would go with the one that will fit your family the best, (unless you're just jumping in to see if camping is something you're family wants to do, then I would look at best deal and resale). You may pay a little more up front, but it may be worth it in the long run as kids get older and you're not outgrowing the smaller unit.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks. We are not new to camping at all. Both would fit our family just fine. I am just kind of feeling out others to see if #1 is the better "deal" that is looks like it is.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #4

Just a thought - a second slide is a second failure point, so it could be more now and later, and a higher risk based on age. Second slide increases weight as well. Have the sales guy put all the slides through their paces a little to see if any of them are questionable.

Looking at pix of both, looks like the entertainment center is better placed in the cheaper model as well, plus the breakfast bar is handy. Convection ovens are pretty useful.

Next, you gotta ask yourself - will the trailer be for hanging out for hours or just a place to crash after wearing out doing other fun stuff. If it is a hang out, get the bigger rig.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

Extra space is always nice especially with family but you know that. Be nice if you could get a solid price on the Rockwood and make your decision there. I was looking at both on specs and the Rockwood seemed to have a nicer layout IMHO. If they came down in price you would have a 2yr newer camper with a better floor plan. You have to ask yourself if you buy the Flagstaff, will you be in it in few years saying " I should have spent the extra money to get what I really wanted?"
Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

I understand that bigger is normall better, but is just the space worth the amount of money in this instance? I mean $3-$4 Grand? that is a lot to me.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

IMO I prefer the dbl slide. We have one 17 year old still at home, loves camping and at times we bring our two grand kids along. The space is great and I felt well worth the extra cash when we went from the 29 single slide to the 31.5 dbl slide. At times it is just the wife and it is still nice if we wish to invite friends or they just come and join us for a few days, as the dbl slide in ours provides the queen bed rather then all single bunks. I also agree newer trailer plus slide is worth something and that is the asking price, get a firm price and then see if the difference is worth it to you Happy Trails
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #8

Are both those TTs' going to fit you and your family 2-3 years down the rode? My "kids" are in their 20s' and still like to join us if they get a chance away from work and school?
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

our kids are young still. 8, 5 and newborn so by the time they are older we will surely have ugraded i would assume.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Canadian Member

In terms of the floorplan, DW and I really like the slideout bunk room area like in the Rockwood that gives you a larger bottom bunk. The Flagstaff has a nicer kitchen area and having the dinette facing out to the campsite is a plus. The skinny bunk beds in the Flagstaff wouldn't work for us but our kids are all teenagers.

In terms of price, you'll have to check local papers and online auto/RV sales sites to see if either is a good value. At $12,900, I would think that price is more than 50% of the original selling price so I'd think its too high for a 7-8 yr old TT. (The depreciation on a TT would typically be higher than a car or truck.) If you can handle the skinnier bunks for several years, I would look at the Flagstaff first and try to lower the price if its in good condition. If, like us, you'd prefer wider bunks, I'd try to get the price of the Rockwood down at least $1500.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river