Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

New 5th wheel

Well we had been Looking at 5th wheels for 2 months now, and we got a good deal on our trade on a new Keystone Cougar 369BHS and pick it up Saturday. seems about 11500 Dry so probably around 13000 to 13500 with our typical gear, guessing closer to 13000 which is about where I wanted to be with my SRW Ram 3500, over 14 and I think I would want a DRW, but I sure see some monsters being towed behind a SRW!

I Sprung for an observation camera, since its prepped for one like our Cherokee is. I'm only doing that because I wont have bed space for bicycles so Ill need to get a reciever style Bike Rack and put on the rear of the camper and Id like to see things before they fall off.

Was looking at Anderson hitches, but settled on a B&W companion 16,000 Hitch.

Anyway, I'm Excited and nervous as all get out about towing that much weight. Its well within my Trucks limits in both payload and towing limits, just not familiar with the whole towing and backing that type of setup up. As soon as I get home I have almost 400 feet of wooded driveway to back down.

So In short, Any pointers would be appreciated! So far I know to have the tailgate down before Unhitching, I would hope that would be a no brainer but for me, I will need to really make a mental note since its not currently an issue with a tradional pull.

Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #2

Pretty much the same as the TT except the actual hitching. It will be easier. Get a action plan and donít waver from it.

My worst fear is dropping the trailer. I have a safety catch(untested) and use a light to visually see the jaws closed. I also do a couple of bumps on the controller to unsure a firm connection before getting up to speed.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Your SRW will do fine. I pulled that weight with my F250 and now with a SRW F350. You will be amazed how much more stable it tows than a conventional trailer even though it is heavier. Backing it is similar you just have to get used to the difference in pivot point.
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:00 AM   #4

Block those tires before releasing that hitch. Had a near catastrophe when I was new to 5th wheeling. Released jaw, and trailer rolled back. Fortunately I had a bunch of crap in the bed, so the trailer fell on that as opposed to my rails. Lesson learned (one of many, LOL).
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel