Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #41

What I don't understand is that the manual is very specific on the positioning and torque of the components. The only thing that is not and issue, is the spacing [ ORANGE ] from the center of the ball hitch to the frame bracket, mine is 17.5 inches and the manual says 18 inches. I have sent REESE an E-MAIL to get more info on the way the dealer installed there equipment. Yes the U-BOLT is in the wrong position, as the chain is pulled up it is pulling on an angel in towards the frame, with the U-BOLT in the correct position it would pull straight up. I think this is causing uneven ware on the cam arm [ LT BLUE ]. As far as it seating, if it hasn't yet it's not going to, this hitch has been like this for two years. From what I understand everyone is tired of hearing about hitch problems, and I understand, but I take SAFTY serouisly. I don't care what type of hitch system you have, if it is installed wrong, it will not work as it was design to or causes other problems later on down the road, that's the reason for the high price of the hitch equipment the ENGINEERING.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
What I don't understand is that the manual is very specific on the positioning and torque of the components. The only thing that is not and issue, is the spacing [ ORANGE ] from the center of the ball hitch to the frame bracket, mine is 17.5 inches and the manual says 18 inches. I have sent REESE an E-MAIL to get more info on the way the dealer installed there equipment. Yes the U-BOLT is in the wrong position, as the chain is pulled up it is pulling on an angel in towards the frame, with the U-BOLT in the correct position it would pull straight up. I think this is causing uneven ware on the cam arm [ LT BLUE ]. As far as it seating, if it hasn't yet it's not going to, this hitch has been like this for two years. From what I understand everyone is tired of hearing about hitch problems, and I understand, but I take SAFTY serouisly. I don't care what type of hitch system you have, if it is installed wrong, it will not work as it was design to or causes other problems later on down the road, that's the reason for the high price of the hitch equipment the ENGINEERING.
Don't wait for an e-mail, call them direct. I have in the past with questions about installation and got a straight and honest answer. Found out something could be done a certain way but was not recommended. I reinstalled the way reese recommends and all is well and I feel much safer. I don't think there are too many questions about hitch installs because as you and I have found the dealers don't know or don't care!! A very important part of the install is to pull ahead roughly 100' before you start to fine tune. How many dealers do this or have the room to do this????????
Get the instructions, call Reese and do it yourself, then IT will be right.

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #43

I received an E-Mail this morning with a phone number to call tech support. I am going to call them shortly. thanks for the responds!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #44

Well, first things first I was able to get a hold of tech support with no problem. My contact was Graig Gerard at REESE, his phone # 888-521-0510 Ext-6825. I E-MAILED all 7 pic for him to review. He pointed out that in the first place that the hitch was not installed correctly. Five of the seven pic were a reflection of the way it was installed, this is something that could be left alone, but the other two issues are the U-BOLT and the CAM ARM ADJUSTMENT. The U-BOLT must be to the inside and the chain as well so that the pressure is straight up instead of on an angel. The CAM ARM ADJUSTMENT is too far out, this will not let me make any adjustment at all and it is bending. The U-BOLT is not a problem to change, but the CAM ARM ADJUSTMENT may be tricky because the hitch is set up in the max out position. Just to let you all know that Graig Gerard said that if anybody has any problems or any question to give him a call, he would be more then happy to help. He under stands how things are not done correctly at the dealers.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #45

rockwood06, thanks for the phone # and other info. My problem, at least the one I realize, is that my head is fully out (rearward) in order to give me more links to raise the rear of the truck. The shank is in the next to the bottom hole but if I move to the bottom hole, I have to bring the head (ball) all the way forward, which raises the spring bar tips too high to leave me enough links for clearance beneath the cams. I'm sure my problem is something simple, but the simple is not always the obvious to me. I'll tinker some more and if I'm not satisfied with my results, I'll use your info and make the call to Reese. Again, thanks.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #46

Start from square one.

Level surface, unhook TT, pull forward.
measure HITCH height, then measure TONGUE height, "AFTER" leveling TT.

Follow directions from there. It took me over four hours to get mine right!! Adjust, re-adjust, re-measure and so on. Very frustrating but I know its done right.

I really think the critical part is getting the hitch and tongue heights right, from there its just adjustments.

Good luck..........

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #47
Florida Member

I have a friend who owns a trailer-hitch business and sells all brands. He told me to get the Equalizer. I have been towing a 6000# Rockwood with a Chevy Express van with it for two years without any problems. I had them adjust it after my first trip to shift more weight to the front of the van just because it looked a little low in the back when we loaded the trailer. I would get it again.
Daytona Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #48

Jmyers, your are welcome! I tow with a 1997 GMC Suburban 2500, my receiver from ground to center is approx 18 inches, my Rockwood 8314ss completely level is approx 22 inches from the ground ,the ball on the hitch has too be raised to match the leveled heighth of the camper, this is the starting point. I am off from work tomorrow, my TV and camper are still hooked up I will take a picture of it so you could take alook at it. I made a correction on the Reese hitch that was recommended by Graig.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #49

Update on my hitch situation:
I replaced the rear shocks on my TV and it made a huge difference. I had replaced the front shocks when I bought the Silverado but, for some reason that escapes me, I neglected to get new rear ones. My porpoising is gone and I feel much better pulling my Sandpiper now. If I can just get my mpg up to around 20 pulling I'll be completely happy. But I guess 1 out of 2 ain't bad.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote