Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

New "Swing up Entry Stairs"

When I saw these babies I thought it would be a great upgrade for my Rockwood 2304s. When I had a closer look and discovered that when the stairs are in the "up" position, there is no way to access the trailer unless you pull the stairs down. You require a fair amount of "swing out" space in order to lower these stairs. We live on Vancouver Island and frequently use ferries to access the mainland. Once aboard the ferry we usually put our dog in the trailer to afford him security and comfort. However occasionally we go to check on him. Well guess what. When on board the ferry with stairs in up position, it is unlikely that you will be able to lower them. So if you only have one access door, you are locked out. This could be a problem in other scenarios e.g. shopping center parking lots loading groceries when you have inadequate space to lower the stairs. Something worth thinking about if you are looking at new trailers.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #2

we have them on our Salem rkss. Love the more solid 3 steps. Ours only swing out 18 inches to maybe 2 feet. Anything parked so close to me that would impede .... Is parked way too close.
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

We have the Torklift Glowstep Revolution. They are worth EVERY CENT of their price!!
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #4

added them to my unit. loaded stuff up to leave it is kind of a pain, but well worth it. my dog could not do the factory stairs alone, now she can. I don't ever plan on having my 43 foot 5th wheel any where tight enough I couldn't get the stairs down.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We have the Torklift Glowstep Revolution. They are worth EVERY CENT of their price!!
Looking at getting these as we want a more solid step but park in a storage lot and there's no way the 3 step solid stairs would be able to swing out with a trailer next to us. The Glowstep looks like a perfect compromise.
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Always Learning

New "Swing up Entry Stairs"

Yep. Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps have all of the benefits of solid steps and none of the downsides.

Here’s a full review:
https://learntorv.com/product-review...n-by-torklift/
Old 07-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
Canadian Member

This has been discussed extensively on this forum. There are tons of threads on the MORryde and LCI versions of those steps.

Having used the MORryde StepAbove in our new 5er this year, the only negatives I see are the amount of space some people need to deploy them and it can be a bit finicky to get the feet at just the right extension especially when you’re on uneven ground and the 2 feet need to be at different extensions.

When I first saw them I worried about them dropping dirt and mud inside the doorway but that hasn’t really been an issue. They are easy to clean with a small whisk broom before stowing.

Some here have solved the tight spaces problem by drilling out 4 rivets at the top of the StepAbove steps and using removable pins to secure the steps. Removing the pins allows you to remove the steps but be aware that they are not light.

Unless you park your trailer in tight spaces I think they are a nice product — especially the factory installed version with the lift assist struts.

My 5er doesn’t have a trim cut-out or framing under the door for external steps, so I would need to do a custom install with the Torklift GlowStep Revolution steps.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

I love ours. If their wasn't room to swing them out, I don't think I could swing the door open either. Door does need to be fully opened to swing them out. I really dont want anything closer to my RV than that !
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
My 5er doesn’t have a trim cut-out or framing under the door for external steps, so I would need to do a custom install with the Torklift GlowStep Revolution steps.

Torklift came out with a version that mounts to the same points as the MorRyde and flip up into the camper in the same way.

They would take less swing space since they “compress” down.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #10

Montana came with the MorRide steps. No cavity for something that makes sense. I'll try to figure a way in the spring so these can end in the landfill.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Montana came with the MorRide steps. No cavity for something that makes sense. I'll try to figure a way in the spring so these can end in the landfill.

See my post just prior to this one. Torklift has replacements.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
See my post just prior to this one. Torklift has replacements.
Yeah but $600 is a big pill to swallow

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post

Definitely. But, if you have storage situations that preclude you from opening the steps, the convenience outweighs the cost.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #14

I've looked with envy at the various stair options because our 5er is lifted 3" and that bottom step can be a tall one. But, I've shied away for two reasons. First, being older and having a common affliction I often pull over and rush to the 5er for a pit stop. No time for fiddling with step feet if I'm going to make it. DW is usually right behind me (or she rushes in and I go behind a tree or between the truck and 5er). Having to stop and adjust the feet just isn't going to work. Ideally the feet would be self-leveling like my rear stabilizer but they aren't. Second, we boondock/dry camp exclusively so would have to adjust the feet at every stop and maybe put blocks under them if the ground is soft.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see these nice steps in my future.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #15

This is our 4th camper and this is the first one that had them and we like them.I see in the future they will all come with them or elec ones
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #16

Hi hclarkx,

We have had the four step model for several years now, and have found them to require less adjusting than you might think. I would judge I have to change the height adjustment in a minor way maybe once every 10-12 deployments. More often than not, the angle of the rig in relation to the ground provides the required angle and height for the stairs.

Only once did I have to put down spacer blocks to support the legs, and that was on a site where I would have had to jump two feet up to get on the bottom step of the old OEM steps.

Now i f I had to store it in one of those places where the next rig is just two feet away, that would be a deal breaker...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I see them for under 400.00
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Having to stop and adjust the feet just isn't going to work. Ideally the feet would be self-leveling like my rear stabilizer but they aren't. Second, we boondock/dry camp exclusively so would have to adjust the feet at every stop and maybe put blocks under them if the ground is soft.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see these nice steps in my future.
Adjust the extendable legs for level ground and mark the position. If we make an adjustment for an off-level site, when we prep to leave, we adjust the legs back to the "level" position. That way the steps are always ready for roadside stops, rest areas, or storage.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #19
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Torklift came out with a version that mounts to the same points as the MorRyde and flip up into the camper in the same way.

They would take less swing space since they “compress” down.
Thanks. I just saw those yesterday.

Torklift GlowStep Revolution Uprising

I’m fairly happy with the MORryde steps for now. I’ve already had the ball stud break on the strut and had to replace it. If that happens very often, I may look into the GlowStep Revolution Uprising as a replacement.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I see them for under 400.00
Right On !!!
We Love our steps !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote