Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #1

New tires for my new camper are on their way!

Lionshead is sending me four new tires to replace the tires on my six week old 21rr. Below is a pic of one of the tires that came on my new camper. The tire manufacture date is less than one year old! All were cracked and one separated into three pieces thirty miles after I left the dealer. And while the tires may be bad, the dealer and warranty service have been fine. By the way, I ordered a TPMS so I can be advised of the tire condition while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper forum pics 009.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	14941  
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

That is unbelievable!
What make are they?
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
That is unbelievable!
What make are they?
They are, "Trail Express." When I was talking to people on the phone concerning the condition of the tires, I remember someone saying they had some bad batches for a while. Whatever it was they are making it right though.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Lionshead is sending me four new tires to replace the tires on my six week old 21rr. Below is a pic of one of the tires that came on my new camper. The tire manufacture date is less than one year old! All were cracked and one separated into three pieces thirty miles after I left the dealer. And while the tires may be bad, the dealer and warranty service have been fine. By the way, I ordered a TPMS so I can be advised of the tire condition while driving.

If you don't mine me asking, what is the date code printed on the tire. If you have a new camper I would suspect that someone removed the new tires and put ones on that where older on in it's place, that's what it looks like to me.....

FYI, when I bought my last new camper in 2006 the tires where already 3 years old, the date code on the tires where 4603, if you are not sure what this means then this is how it is read,,,the first 2 numbers-46- means the week they where manufactured, the last 2 mumbers-03- is the years they where manufactured.....46th week of 2003...so they where put on my new 2006 model year camper I found this out after I had had the camper for over a year.

From my understanding, camper tire should be replaced after 5 years regardless of condition, but the best thing to do is keep an eye on them.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
The tire manufacture date is less than one year old!
That is extremely bad for a tire less than a year old. This is something that would need to be recalled, especially if it's a large production batch. What was the exact date code?

You might want to file a report with the NHTSA (after you get your replacement tires). I would take pics of all the tires around the bead area, and ones including the DOT numbers.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Rf dot r2kc 2911
rr dot r2kc 3511
lf dot r2kc 3511
lr dot r2kc 3111
Old 06-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

That is just hard ti believe If never seen tires like.
Can you take a pic of the printed date code just on one tire, it's not that I don't believe you, I would like to see it myself. It looks like the tires where ran almost flate......
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Rf dot r2kc 2911
rr dot r2kc 3511
lf dot r2kc 3511
lr dot r2kc 3111
According to my 2012 edition of "Who Makes It and Where" tire directory, 'R2' were manufactured by:

Tianjin Zhensin Rubber Co. Ltd
Xumu Yanjiusuo Road, Tian Jin 300402
China

If they adhere to RMA sizing standards (not all do though), then 'KC' states it is a ST205/75-14

For clarity purposes, did you abbreviate the above DOT numbers (first four digits, and last four digits), as there could be more digits between them?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
That is just hard ti believe If never seen tires like.
Can you take a pic of the printed date code just on one tire, it's not that I don't believe you, I would like to see it myself. It looks like the tires where ran almost flate......
Here is one with the DOT code and another with some other number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper forum pics 010.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	14951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper forum pics 016.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	14952  
Old 06-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #10

Sorry it toke so long to get back from your last post....The date code is normally printed on the back of the tire, there something wrong here for a set of tires with that date code, less then a year old and in this condition the tires where manufactured around August 2011.

I didn't notice but on the side wall of the tires does it say " ST" or "Service Trailer" near the size printed on the side wall?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

The first photo clearly shows "ST"

That checking and cracking was why my Carlisles are in the tire dump.

My tires had cracks between the treads that ran completely around the tire and could only be seen after they were removed and deflated. My first indication of the problem was a high speed blowout (most likely accelerated by a curb strike about a month prior that finished the cracking off).

Since the tires were almost 2 years old when I bought the new camper (2 year warranty on the tire), the tire warranty was based on when I purchased the camper (from FR). The blowout was after my one year FR warranty expired.

Carlisle offered to give me a voucher for a "discount" on new tires, but I would have to ship all four tires to them at my cost.

I now have 4 new (3 months old when purchased) Goodyear Marathons (made in Gadsden, Alabama) on the camper. LOVE THEM.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #12

I just replaced my Carlisle's, as well. Since no one makes a 14" LT, I went to the 14" Kumho's. Picked them up on Memorial Day Weekend, on the way through Conneticut, so I saved the shipping costs by driving 10 miles out of the way. Unfortunately, that meant that I had to pay CT sales tax, but I still saved money....

Two are on, two to go (this weekend, I hope!), as I'm doing one side at a time, and rebuilding the poorly installed wheel well liners as I go. But that's documented in another thread....

BTW - My Carlisles were dated 3607 (TT delivered new in March '08), and the new Kumho's 3511.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad