Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #1

New to RV'ing and Going Across Country from NJ to Banff

Hello there Friends,

We are new to RV'ing and have a 30 to 60 day break in our business where we are going to take our 3 children on a cross country trip, they are aged 6, 4 and 0. We did this previously when our first 2 were 8 months and 2 years, so this is in our blood, but it was from upper-end hotel to upper-end hotel ;-)

This time around we are seriously shopping for new and used travel trailers under 5000 lbs to tow with a 7900 pound capacity SUV. We know this is a little crazy to jump into, but it feels right and we are very compelled to follow through.

In the winter we are thinking about leaving the travel trailer at a campground near one of our favorite snowboarding mountains. For this reason we are leaning toward trailer without a slide, though we really prefer the extra room and do not mind the additional cost (new or used). Do slide outs tend to be difficult in the snow?

Here are a few questions:
  1. What is the best way to apporach this?
  2. Slide or not to slide?
  3. how do you use a trailer in the winter on weekends and prevent freezing damage
  4. what size makes the most sense for cross country from NJ to Banff?

We are ready to hit the road in August through September.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions,
Matthew
matthew23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
Site Team

1st suggestion is to buy a 4 season rig.
I don't know of any FR rig that is a true 4 season rig.
Arctic Fox is an example of one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
I Break Everything

I can't really speak for the snow. We started similar to you, just not used...I'm kinda funny about used RVs, it's me, I'm sure it will be fine. The size for 5 people sounds small, especially with no slides. We started off with a Jayco TT under 5000 pounds, after one year traded it for a Jayco 5th wheel, and a new truck. A year after that we traded up for a 5th wheel with two bathrooms and extra bedroom for the kids. We had that unit for a number of years and took it every where from central Texas. We now have a 351DS, and our kids still love it. My son is a Jr. in college and our daughter a Fr in college. We travel to them for visits and still take summer trips. Actually starting July 2nd we are going on an adventure through New York, Canada, down to Boston, Philly, DC. Good luck and Enjoy.

Some of my reasons for buying new:
1. Tires - you're gonna have to replace them anyway.
2. Storage Tanks - build up, smells, proper usage.
3. Appliances - repairs?
4. Roof - does it leak, were there repairs?
5. Electrical and Plumbing, were there mods made and are they safe?
6. CHECK Heater and A/C!!

Ask your dealer lots of questions. RV dealers are NOT the service center, ask anyone. RV repairs can last days, but they generally don't...it may take a month or longer. The dealers are eager to let you pick what you want and put you in it, used or new. If you smell a rat then you got one. Take your time, investigate thoroughly. Good Luck!

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #4

bearings, wheels, axles and tires ..... your TV sounds a little small.... GCWR...

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

First I hate to hear about your (60 day brake-in at your Business,sounds more like a Looting) Don't even think about a (Trailer) for use as a Ski-Lodge! F/R makes a (ICE Lodge) for Ice fishing but Not for Traveling! A unit with a Slide will make your (Family Trip) more Comfortable/Pleasant ! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #6

Do
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Sorry.....buy the RV you can tow and set up. If nothing else, invest in a Surge Protector and anti sway hitch,
Like Equalizer. Buy a Tire Minder system.

All of the above can be used on your next TT or if you quit, sell at 50% of cost and move on.

Life throws us curve balls. The above items help eliminate surprises. I have a new 37 ft fifth wheel, BUT, had 2 TT's, 26ft and 31 ft both super slides.
Before I bought the hitch, it was white knuckle time. Had a power surge, cost me $1000. Had a blowout at 62 mph. $3,300 damage. My share was $1,300.
Just say'n.....
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

Get the slideout(s) and stay in a hotel when skiing.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
Hello there Friends,

We are new to RV'ing and have a 30 to 60 day break in our business where we are going to take our 3 children on a cross country trip, they are aged 6, 4 and 0. We did this previously when our first 2 were 8 months and 2 years, so this is in our blood, but it was from upper-end hotel to upper-end hotel ;-)

This time around we are seriously shopping for new and used travel trailers under 5000 lbs to tow with a 7900 pound capacity SUV. We know this is a little crazy to jump into, but it feels right and we are very compelled to follow through.

In the winter we are thinking about leaving the travel trailer at a campground near one of our favorite snowboarding mountains. For this reason we are leaning toward trailer without a slide, though we really prefer the extra room and do not mind the additional cost (new or used). Do slide outs tend to be difficult in the snow?

Here are a few questions:
  1. What is the best way to apporach this?
  2. Slide or not to slide?
  3. how do you use a trailer in the winter on weekends and prevent freezing damage
  4. what size makes the most sense for cross country from NJ to Banff?

We are ready to hit the road in August through September.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions,
Matthew
There is no true T/T which can be used without winterizing every time you use it in the wintertime. Slide-out is a big plus but your towing capacity is on the low side for longer trips. Used T/T is cheaper then the new but you would have to have an expert to inspect the T/T as you are new to the Rv life.
Good luck
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #10

2+3 in anything shorter than 29 feet for that long a trip will be a challenge. Slide definitely. Arctic Fox is the right choice. More capable tow vehicle will be needed. Diesel 2500. Then get a double slide 30 foot fifth wheel and have a great time. You will end up there anyway!!
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #11

With the risk of sounding redundant... other suggest Artic Fox, which is one of the few actual 4 season trailers. It is small and heavy for its size; undoubted too heavy for your SUV.

I wonder if the campground you have in mind is open in the winter.

If this is a once or twice in decade event, why not rent... or better yet, buy a nice used motorhome that can "sleep" your family... which is a much easier and comfortable way to experience this great country; especially for stop, see, and go traveling, then sell it when you get back. Of course, a MH could be excellent in cold weather abode.

To your 3rd question, you might have to winterize between visits, otherwise heat has to be kept on, including basement. Although water lines could be disconnected and taken in and out to prevent freezing.

If one could be bought right, it could be less expensive than renting.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #12

We leave in Alberta and use our MH year round, in the winter we don't fill the fresh water tanks, just use 2.5USG containers. We just make sure we dump after every trip and put some RV plumbing in the sinks / toilet.

Also help have 2 furnaces
Nevking is offline   Reply With Quote