Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #21
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
The 5er also has more storage space but you lose a lot of the bed of your truck. You gain your truck bed back with TT.

The last couple trips with our TT we have not put anything in the bed, had everything in the TT. I was pretty shocked but quite pleased. It takes some creativity but is definitely possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Having towed a number of TTs and now on my second fiver, I would not go back to a TT. The fiver pulls so much easier, has much more room and easier to hookup. The only thing I see above is that TTs are easier to get in and out of because they are closer to the ground and that is true. If you have problems going up and down stairs, both to get into the fiver and then up to the front, a fiver would be an issue. Good Luck
Agreed. We've had two TTs, a Class C (before slides), a fifth-wheel, a Class A, and currently a Class C. While enjoying the fifth-wheel, we missed all the comforts of a motorhome -- being able to run the generator to make a quick lunch on the road, giving the pet(s) more room, and, at times, not having to get out in the pouring rain to get set up. We had our Class A for 7 years and my wife was uncomfortable driving because of the wide open cab space. When we looked into Class C's and felt how much roomier they had become since the one we had, we decided to go for it. Now my wife shares with driving and all is well. Again, it's whatever you plan on doing with your RV. It's just great to get out in whatever you decide!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #23

Fifth Wheel, longer(more) trailer in a shorter foot print than a TT of the same length.

I have yet to adjust any sway bars........
Old 05-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #24

Although we are years a way from retirement this thread has got me to think outside the box. I've always wanted a 5th wheel for the benefits of towing and being on the road. There are days when my wife can play jump rope with our daughter and then there are days when she has trouble climbing the steps to the TT due to rheumatoid arthritis. The comment about the additional steps that come with a 5th wheel make me think our TT is just fine plus I have the added bed space in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger22 View Post
Although we are years a way from retirement this thread has got me to think outside the box. I've always wanted a 5th wheel for the benefits of towing and being on the road. There are days when my wife can play jump rope with our daughter and then there are days when she has trouble climbing the steps to the TT due to rheumatoid arthritis. The comment about the additional steps that come with a 5th wheel make me think our TT is just fine plus I have the added bed space in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
My wife has to walk with a cane and we found the TT much easier for her plus the fact there are no stairs going to the bedroom. I guess you have to adjust to what makes it fun and easy on you.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #26

I purchased my first 5th wheel last year. My TV is a Ford f250 diesel. I like the 5er because it is super easy to hook up to the truck, and tows really well. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, as long as your having fun. If I planned on putting alot of miles on the camper, I would go with the 5er....JMHO
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #27
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

While we're very happy and satisfied with our TT, hitching and unhitching a WDH is a pain. The 5er will be a lot easier, especially as we get older and less flexible!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #28

I have talked to many different people while we tent camped before we purchased ours. Basically it seemed it was more personal preference than anything. Many who travelled lots went to 5'vrs because they said they found they pulled smoother which made travelling nicer. We looked at both types as we really didn't have a preference. We chose a TT because they were a better fit for what we wanted a trailer for. To me they are like buying a house. Look for what u like, fits your needs, budget etc. Shopping should be fun too. If it isn't I would look for another dealer. Our dealer made it an enjoyable experience and didn't just take our money and run. We really enjoy our trailer.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #29

We have a 286.RLT 5er. Right at the length limit that most state parks allow. My f250 turbo 6.7 diesel pulls it like it's not even back there. We've taken it out several times on 1 week trips but the plan is to retire and cruise the country.
Best thing I added so far is changing out the folding 3 step unit for a 4 step unit. What a difference 1 additional step makes. I highly recommend to everyone to do this, no matter how young you still are, Best $260 I've spent. Camping world has them but it's cheaper to get it Amazon. Quadra step #1424 free shipping. Probably took me 2 hours to install, no holes to drill, same bolts from original.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums