Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

New to this RV thing.

Debating a 5th wheel versus tongue tow either with a f250 deisel. It's just me the wife and our puppy. Any words of wisdom?
Captn Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 AM   #2

Ron do you have any experience pulling a trailer? A 5th wheel pulls much easier regardless of gas or diesel power. I think that the 5th wheel also gives you more room. I have a 40 ft motorhome and have seen 5th wheels with more room because of how they can be laid out. I hope this helps.
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 AM   #3

Depends on what you have planned to do with it.Sometimes less is better.We found just for me the wife and the dog a 27' TT was just the right size for us and never have problems getting around with it.
searay245se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

TT works great for us. Looked at 5ers and while very nice, we like our cozy TT. We are Hubby, Wife, and THE dog.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

For me, a 5th wheel is way to large. Not space wise but overall size. It's like driving a tractor trailer. I think you need to be a lot more careful in planning your route to make sure you are not going to have any bridge clearance issues. Depending on what you plan on doing, some campgrounds are located in the middle of nowhere with narrow 2 lane roads and low local bridges.

That's just my opinion. I do not have a lot of experience with towing. I think the 5th wheel is a little easier to back into sites because of the pivot point and you can turn tighter.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #6

Thanks for your post. Gave me pause the think more about the 5th wheeler.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #7

Good info. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

Appreciate your insight. Thinking now more along the lines of a class A and towing a small car.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #9

I'm not trying to deter you from buying a 5th wheel. If that's what you like and are comfortable towing something like that then go for it. I just see these things going down the highway and the trucks towing them are dwarfed by some of them. My family likes to camp at state parks. I like to be in wooded areas and I know some of the PA parks we frequent could not handle a 5th wheel in the sites I like.

That's just me. Some don't mind going to campgrounds where it is wide open and there are sites in a straight rows with little trees. That's fine but does not work for me. I kinda miss having our popup because even with a 30' TT some of the state parks can be tight.

Hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy whatever you get.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #10

We picked a TT for several reasons. (1) liked not having to tow a car - but still could leave the 'home' parked when we went out for day trips. (2) liked having the bed of our truck fully usable as a truck bed (no 5W hitch installed). (3) Found that 27' was just fine for weekends or even a week. (4) Discovered that many campgrounds have trouble with bigger rigs - so check where you want to camp & see what fits. Good luck!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

Thanks. Information leads to power. The more I get the better my decision.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #12

I started out with a TT in 2007 and over the years I found that the 5th Wheel performs better on the Highway because of Semi going by causing a "Wind Whip" on the TT. It was a secure feeling going down the Highway with my 5th Wheel not getting that "Wind Whip". I also find it easy to back with the 5th Wheel. It is a personal choice for the Guy or Gal pulling a TT or a 5th Wheel. Happy RVing hope to see all of you a Goshen Indiana 2015!
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #13

I had a Class A and really liked having a generator. My wife will drive a pickup pulling a 5th wheel. She didn't want any parts of driving the A towing a Toad. I like to drive and will do most of it. Just nice for us to have an option. We'll buy a toy hauler with a generator and washer/dryer hook-up. Not available in most TTs.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Ron View Post
Debating a 5th wheel versus tongue tow either with a f250 deisel. It's just me the wife and our puppy. Any words of wisdom?
I've had both, TT's and 5er's. It's just myself the wife and our 40 pound dog. The trailer we have now is 2012 29 foot FR 264 10th Anniversary Edition, plenty of room, easy to haul. I have a 2013 Ford F150 with the max tow package and the ecoboost 6. Hauls the trailer better than my 2010 with the 5.4 V8 did. You will have no problem with the F250 no matter if it's a TT or a 5er. I like the TT's because they are easier for my wife to get in and out of. It all comes down to personal preference.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #15

It totally depends on what you like.
We love the stability of the 5th wheel.
Started w/Holiday Rambler 32' 5th & traded for 39' Primetime Sanibel last summer w/20' cu ft. Refrig & Hydraulic levers. Best advice test one or more, if you can.
Bob Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #16

We owned a 5th wheel for 10 years pulled with a F250 diesel. Last year we bought a TT and now pull with a F150. The 5ver pulls better but I'm getting more comfortable with the TT. The 5er also has more storage space but you lose a lot of the bed of your truck. You gain your truck bed back with TT. Don't skimp on the hitch.

The biggest driver for us going to a TT was fewer steps. Bad knees, bad ankles. The TT is one floor. No steps inside the camper.

Take your time, do your research. Each one of us has different likes, dislikes, wants and needs. Most of all have fun.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #17

Having gone from a 30' TT to a 37' 5er, I will never go back to a TT if I can help it. I do agree with the others here it is a matter of personal preference. But for me it is a matter of room, storage and ease of towing. I have a 2011 f 250 crew cab with a 2012 Silverback 31B and love it. Don't get as much pucker factor when 18 wheelers blow past with the 5er.
RamLab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #18

I've had three TT and one fifth wheel. My first was a TT with a Reese Hitch and sway control, sometimes scary when passed by a semi. My second was a fifth wheel, seldom a problem with semi's. The last two have been Toy Haulers using an Andersen Hitch. They tow just as well as my fifth wheel. I like being able to use the bed of my truck. I like the lower, closer to the ground and all one level of the TT. And I like that I am not pulling a giant monster hovering over the top of my truck. Just my personal feelings after having had both. Like others have said the fifth wheel has it's advantages too. I'm considering buying a little shorter TT and hauling my rzr in the bed of the truck. My current Toy Hauler has a 12' garage and is a little hard to manuever in tight spots.
comfun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #19

Wide brush here! People (Use) RVs Totally different ways,(Seasonal,Short local trips,Long distance trips,Dry camping,Full hookup Only,Total Use of inside Facilities,Never Use Shower or Toilet, Stop along the way to use Bed/Nap,Toilet,Eat-this means being able to Open Refer),and MANY other things! Your intended use and desires are Only answered by You, a person Must (Play House )in a Unit that you think you like (Before You Buy)! That means with the Slides (In and Out) if you are going to (Travel) with the Unit. If (Seasonal) disregard all the above and get the (Biggest, Baddest,Longest,Tallest )unit that will fit your needs! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #20

Having towed a number of TTs and now on my second fiver, I would not go back to a TT. The fiver pulls so much easier, has much more room and easier to hookup. The only thing I see above is that TTs are easier to get in and out of because they are closer to the ground and that is true. If you have problems going up and down stairs, both to get into the fiver and then up to the front, a fiver would be an issue. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote