Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

New trailer roof issues?

Hi folks,
Just picked up my first ever travel trailer. Coachmen APEX 239. I got up top and was surprised to find probably 8-10 holes in the caulk in various locations, but perhaps more concerning was what feels like screw heads coming up from under the rubber roof - they almost look ready to pop through (and will I'm sure with time). I presume this is not normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caulk spread thin creating holes.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	117915   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole by rivet.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	117916   Click image for larger version

Name:	screw heads.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	117917  
4Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Definitely not normal.

How old is the RV?
Old 08-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered, Like BR said it is not normal, if your rig is new take it back to the dealer if not then you may have to find what the screws are holding and adjust them or they will come thru the membrane
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #4

At PDI, I got on the roof and found the same thing in the caulking. Dealer had to fix before we accepted it. WRT the screws, I've heard of this issue before and it appears most dealers blow it off unless or until the membrane is compromosed.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

If I were you I would definitely not blow off the screw heads or the cracked caulking. The caulking can be fixed by applying self leveling lap joint sealant after thoroughly cleaning and drying the old sealant.

Fir the screws if it were necessary Id open the rubber membrane to solve the pop up issue and cover the openings with the rubber roof repair rolled material. Followed by lap sealant on the edges of that.

What you DO NOT want is a leak you don't know about letting water in and delaminating your siding!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Thx for the help

This is a brand new trailer. MY 2017. I'm disappointed the dealer did not check this before I picked it up. I will be taking it back as soon as I can. As you can imagine however, I leave on a trip shortly.

Lesson learned.....look roof over closely prior to taking delivery.

Thx. Dave
4Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #7

I, too, bought a brand new TT in March of this year and upon getting the TT home and going on the roof, was more than a little dismayed to find the caulk had been put on so thickly at the factory that it had bubbled in spots, the bubbles had popped and there were small holes on the roof (no sign of screws). Some of the bubbles had deflated and were dimpled but had not popped yet. I immediately contacted my dealer who arranged a time for me to bring the coach back and have the caulk repaired. The tech used the leveling lap sealant others have referenced and there did not appear to be water damage. I was on the roof with the tech to see what he was doing and so I could learn how maintain my roof in the future.

I would not accept the caulk and screws as they are. Contact your dealer ASAP, even if you cannot take the TT back immediately for repairs because you have a trip planned. At least you will have reported the problem in case it becomes more of a problem down the road.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Seasons View Post
This is a brand new trailer. MY 2017. I'm disappointed the dealer did not check this before I picked it up. I will be taking it back as soon as I can. As you can imagine however, I leave on a trip shortly.

Thx. Dave
Yes ...Definitely look roof over closely I learned the hard way. We had our trailer a little over a year when I notice some delamination down the side when I looked on the roof I found a couple of holes in the dicor on the edge right above the delam appears it had been leaking since it was new. Dealer should have done a roof inspection. I took a lot of things for granted when i bought the trailer.....I know better now.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
Yes ...Definitely look roof over closely I learned the hard way. We had our trailer a little over a year when I notice some delamination down the side when I looked on the roof I found a couple of holes in the dicor on the edge right above the delam appears it had been leaking since it was new. Dealer should have done a roof inspection. I took a lot of things for granted when i bought the trailer.....I know better now.

Unfortunate situation, but you should have inspected the roof for that very issue (and others) more than once during that time period.

Not a dig on you, just putting that out there for others that may read this thread.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Seasons View Post

Thx. Dave
As a temporary fix so you can go on your trip I would get some Gorilla Tape and put it over the gaps in the caulking. You don't want to let water under the caulk.

Or, you sound like you might be a do it yourselfer You may just want to buy some Dicor self leveling lap seal and cover the holes. That is what the dealer will probably do. EPDM Lap Sealants | Dicor Products | Official Website

I backed my new 5th wheel under a tree that poked a hole in my roofing material. I covered it with Gorilla Tape until I got home and was able to patch it with Eternabond. The tape held and kept the rain out that we had on that trip.

Just some thought so you can get out and enjoy your new RV. Don't fret over these issues. You found them early and you will get them fixed.. Enjoy yourself..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Site Team

I'd just get some self-leveling lap sealant and fill the holes to get you through until you can have the dealer take care of it.

Tags
roo, roof, trailer