Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Travel Trailer Newb
New trailer to be used year round is it worth getting a cover?

Iím from just 15 miles north of Seattle, WA just upgraded from a pop-up tent trailer to a 2014 Surveyor 189SC. Having camped out 24 days in 7 trips this summer. The wife and I decided we wanted to see more of our surrounding areas in the PNW even in the winter/rain thus the upgrade.
The TT is parked in out driveway, no overhead trees or any other obstacles. Our plan is to take it out at least 3-4 nights a month every 2 weeks throughout the winter. I was thinking of just getting a AC cover to keep the water out when not in use and sitting in the rain but should I bother with a complete cover? Iím not even remotely worried about freezing pipes or winterizing for short periods that we get snow/cold weather in the winter. The Surveyor we purchased has an ďArctic PackageĒ and if I even thought it might come close to being at risk, I would just drain all the system tanks, pour a little RV anti freeze in the drains and if really needed could even plug it in and run the heater.

2014 Surveyor Cadet SC189
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew 3.5L "Ecoboost"
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
We just purchased a new Sierra 5th wheel and live in the PNW also. Also like you we have no intentions of parking it during the winter and hope to go out once a month at least. I haven't seen much from anyone else on doing this but I would be interested in sharing our experiences. We intend on keeping our new home for a long time and because of that from what I've read keeping a cover on it is worth the expense and trouble. Of course taking it on and off all the time may change my mind!

Ric4003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Welcome BoxerGlocker. I understand what you are saying. We just picked up our new motor home just before thanksgiving and we took ours out for three days right away. We managed to make it through a snowy, 8 F night with no problems. We hope to get ours out and explore more of the PNW too but our weather is a little more severe than yours. We will play it by ear through the winter.
Good luck with your trips.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
I don't think you are gonna want to mess with taking a cover on and off every time you want to camp. We camp all year long and trailer holds up just fine uncovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pam & Don
2003 Ford Expedition EB
2011 Rockwood 2304s

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote

cover, trailer