Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
The only thing I can tell you do to is find on a lot somewhere close by and go sit in each of them. Sit, look, open every door, try out bed.... AND BATHROOM. See that there is enough room for you to function IF there is bad weather and you are forced to be inside for 24+ hours straight! It's not always going to be perfect weather and space means a lot. Take lots of photos of everything that you look at. When you get home go over those photos... take your time. Look at all the details. That is how we came up with the reason we went with the 23ss instead of the 21ss. I saw something in the photos that being inside I hadn't noticed. While I was in it I was smitten with everything and wasn't looking at things as good as I should have.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Thank you everyone! I appreciate your tips, and all very valid points. We have more trailer hunting to do, I think, since now I will definitely pay more attention to how they "feel" when we are both in the trailer at the same time!

We do need to go lightweight, because of our tow vehicle. GVW 4500 lbs so we're looking in the 3500 dry weight range. I know the lightweights aren't as sturdy, but we're quite limited. We don't want a pop up or a hybrid so that narrows the field considerably, but we don't have a lot of extra stuff to bring, just us and our bicycles, so the weight shouldn't be a big issue. We'd be mostly doing weekends at campgrounds; ideally, campgrounds with hookups! We do want to bring a tv for those rainy days or evenings when we just want to relax with a dvd. Even camping we just can't seem to fully separate from technology. But most of our time will be outside in the woods or around a campfire.

So now my husband and I will go sit on trailer toilets, lay in "queen" beds, pretend to cook on a tiny 3 burner stove, and play imaginary euchre at the dinette, and really see what we're getting ourselves into! I really appreciate everybody's advice!!

sls612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
The Old Man
You didn't really say whether the TTs you are considering are new or used. If money is not the most important issue then of course new is great. But since you are new to RVing and this would be your first TT then you might consider a used TT. Yes, you will then have to worry more about the condition, leaks, tires, etc., but sometimes used also have the bugs worked out. As you can tell from reading these forums, sometimes even new RVs have ridiculous problems. Some dealers will offer service plans on used TTs they sell so that is another consideration.

The BIG advantage of buying used of course is the cost savings. Right now used TTs are crazy cheap. If you're like most of us, this will only be the beginning of a great adventure and you might like it so much you'll want to trade up in a year or two. With a used TT you can get in cheaper to start and see if this is really going to be your "thing." I'm 57 years young, but on TT #4 after years of tent camping. My last TT I bought off the used lot and it still had the stickers on the bathroom mirrors and styrofoam in the micro. Someone had bought it and then I guess their loan fell through or something. So it was sold as used and it was $7000 less than the same model selling new that we had looked at. It lasted us 10 years with literally not a single significant problem. You never know if you don't look.

So unless this is your retirement swan song I'll bet you'll be wanting something roomier after a season or two so just give that a thought.

2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
WAIT A MINUTE!!! I saw bicycles. How are you going to carry them? Plenty of post on here about NOT being able to mount a bike carrier on a lightweight trailer. If you want the bicycles, make sure you can carry them on something besides a bumper hitch, which don't work on light weights, or a frame hitch, which many post have said will void the warranty if installed. Didn't metion what your tow vehicle was, but must be pretty small.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by sls612 View Post
We do need to go lightweight, because of our tow vehicle. GVW 4500 lbs so we're looking in the 3500 dry weight range.
since you didn't tell us what you're towing with, i.e. engine size and rear end ratio, it's hard to understand your tow limits.
GVW is the tow vehicle's or trailer's Gross Vehicle Weight. this doesn't state your tow vehicle's tow capacity.
and using a trailer's fictional "dry" weight is a common newbie mistake. no RV weighs its "dry" weight.
our 23' HTT weighed 400lbs. more, on the dealer's lot, than its dry weight.
the dry weight doesn't add the weight of many standard things, such as: oven, a/c, spare tire, awning, battery and so on.
try and use the trailer's GVWR for your numbers. this is the max the trailer can weigh. your tow vehicle should be able to tow the trailer at its GVWR, in nearly all cases.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
Not big gulfstream fan, they tend to have more quailty issues, the Zinger is ok and the salem is an entry level brand but tend to build a nice unit. You might also look at passport or outback, they are lite and top brands, check out ebay for some great prices.
2010 PASSPORT 195 RB BUY WHOLESALE LOW PRICE SAVE $3000: eBay Motors (item 400138410709 end time Jul-30-10 17:15:00 PDT)

commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote