Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Newbie, which of these do i NEED once my trailer arrives?

Hi, we are hoping our new Puma 31DBTS will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday, and we will then have it delivered to a seasonal site. I have reviewed a bunch of mod/tech posts. I have saved these things to my cart - which do you feel are must haves? We are completely new to this, so trying not to overspend, but also trying to make sure we have what we need for a seasonal site. We won't be pulling it until next year as we don't have a truck to tow it with yet. Thanks for your input!!

JCJ M-300 Mud Dauber Screen for RV furnace Outside Fitting

Stabilizer Jack Pads: Camco 44595 RV Stabilizer Jack Pad - Pack of 4: Automotive

Sidewinder Sewer Hose Support: Camco 43041 RV 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support: Automotive

Rhinoflex RV Sewer Hose kit with Swivel fittings: Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' RV Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fittings: Automotive

Screen Door Cross Bar: Camco 42183 RV Screen Door Cross Bar: Automotive

RV Screen Door Opener: Camco 43953 RV Screen Door Opener: Automotive

Eternabond Roofseal: Eternabond RoofSeal White 4"x50': Home Improvement

Clear RV Screen Door Slide Set: Camco 45581 Clear RV Screen Door Slide Set: Automotive

I also read about some special kind of 'x chucks'?? Do i need these if it is parked seasonally, and if so, any recommendations?

Is there anything i've missed? I'm also thinking about the oxygenics handheld shower.

Thanks for any input you have!

jrosales2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
The only thing on your list that I have is the screen door opener, and that is sometimes more trouble than it is worth.

I do have the screen door crossbar on my wish list.

I use boards for my jack pads....they were free.

If you are parked at a seasonal site, then the sewer hose supports might be useful.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
The Old Man
I think the very FIRST thing you should do (other than checking that you don't have any water leaks) is to apply screens to all of the outer openings you can find. You can either buy the pre-made screens (more expensive but less work) or you can buy some aluminum screen and cover the openings yourself. Walk around the rig and try to imagine anywhere the little buggers might get in.

I've had 4 TTs and in that time I've had hornets in my refrigerator, inside the propane cover (twice), and even inside the storage cavity where the power cord goes. (Thankfully now the FR just has an external locking hookup for the power cord.) I also had birds build a nest inside the air conditioner cover on the roof!

In some cases you may need to remove a grill or fixture that is caulked into place so you can put a screen in place. Just do it and then re-caulk. On my last 3 trailers putting screens on everything was the very FIRST thing I did after taking delivery.

I think getting the Eternabond and applying to the new roof was the wisest thing I ever did. I was always a bit lazy about roof maintenance and on my last TT that came back to bite me in the form of leaks. On my new rig I decided to be more pro-active and hopefully avoid that fate a second time.

You do need some sort of support materials for the stands, the tongue post, and for leveling under the wheels. I like to use 2x6 lumber pieces myself but these can be heavy. I also own two sets of Lynx levelers and have used them for decades. They're like legos and can be used for just about any leveling application in any combination: Tri Lynx 00015 (10) Lynx Leveler: Automotive

The sewer hose support and the screen door upgrades are definite "nice-to-haves" and I would recommend them, but they aren't exactly "need" items.

****** "need" item for me that you didn't mention is some sort of water filter. I prefer an external water filter that I can put up/take down for travel and change easily. My current rig has a built-in water filter but I wonder what moron decided to put it in such a difficult to reach location??? So even though it's there, I'm going to have to remove it or create a by-pass because it's just too hard to get to for winterizing, changing the filter, etc.
2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote