Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

Oh My Aching Head!!!!

Amy, my wife, and I have been looking for an RV since before Hurricane Katrina. Every year, its the same vicious cycle. Start with a Class A, move to Class C, decide on a TT and then wind up looking at 5ers. In the end, we do nothing........

Its that time of the year again but this time, doggoneit, we are gonna do it. We actually skipped past the A's & C's, went straight to the TT's and woke up yesterday and said, lets look at the 5ers.

We feel we are very close to choosing the Silverback 33LBHTS (are first choice) or the Cedar Creek Silverback 36L5S (2nd choice). We looked at the 33 yesterday at the local dealer and then saw both online at a wholesaler. We hate making decisions............

Can any of you help us or give us some advice?

Local Dealer vs Wholesaler - The online wholesale price is some $10K different than the 'best price' offered by the local dealer. To me, the 'service from your local dealer' is a mute point. Regardless of where we purchase the RV, chances are we will be travelling away from our home base when we actually need service. So to me, the important issue is that Cedar Creek has good service representation throughout the country and they will treat me with the same respect they treat ANY Cedar Creek owners, regardless of where it was purchased. Is this true or false?

Second Bath - we have a one line motto we try and answer when deciding on options, amenities or additions - what will be doing 90% of the time. I am still confused about the 2nd potty. I am not particularly thrilled about the kids or other guests coming into our bedroom in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Our kids, 7 & 9, not really a problem. In Laws, in the middle of the night, problem. We have read many threads that say the extra potty is a waste of space & money and is another 'thing' to maintain and keep clean. How many of you out there have one and wish now you didnt? How many of you out there dont have one and wish you did? Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

King Sized Bed - we actually both agree on this as I am not as, uh-hum, condensed as I once was. We think we prefer the models where the bed is on the slide out giving us more closet space and a little more room. Is this worth the extra money?

Tow Vehicle - Although I own a company and several vehicles, including the following:
  • Chevy Sliverado crew cab with 4.8 V8 Gas Engine
  • Chevy Silverado Ext Cab with 5.3 V8 Gas Engine
  • Chevy 2500 Duramax Diesel Engine
  • Chevy 3500 Dually Diesel Engine
Oddly enough, I really have no clue about vehicles or what I really need to pull either camper. Amy & I agree that one of these should do what we need but never feel comfortable with the salesman as EACH of them, in a desperate attempt to make the sale, have told us, 'oh yeah, that VW Beetle over there will pull this thing!' To put this more in context, most of the time, the camper will be at the seasonal site which will require a 200 mile round trip. Once or twice a year, we will be taking a 2 week vacation that may end up being 3000 miles round trip. What do we REALLY need for these situations?

How Important are the following:
  • 16" Tires
  • 15000 BTU AC
  • 10 Gallon Water Heater
  • Exterior Grill
  • Exterior Shower
  • Awnings for Slideouts
  • Manual vs Automatic Awnings
There are just TONS of questions in my head and I am not capable enough to put them in writing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the most important question is, I am on the right track with Cedar Creek and is bigger always better?

Thanks in advance,

Bob & Amy
closecouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #2

can't help you with the 2nd potty thing..........

but either of your Diesel Chevy's should do the trick towing it. I'd lean toward the dually but I'm biased towards duallys
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by closecouple View Post
Amy, my wife, and I have been looking for an RV since before Hurricane Katrina. Every year, its the same vicious cycle. Start with a Class A, move to Class C, decide on a TT and then wind up looking at 5ers. In the end, we do nothing........

Its that time of the year again but this time, doggoneit, we are gonna do it. We actually skipped past the A's & C's, went straight to the TT's and woke up yesterday and said, lets look at the 5ers.

We feel we are very close to choosing the Silverback 33LBHTS (are first choice) or the Cedar Creek Silverback 36L5S (2nd choice). We looked at the 33 yesterday at the local dealer and then saw both online at a wholesaler. We hate making decisions............

Can any of you help us or give us some advice?

Local Dealer vs Wholesaler - The online wholesale price is some $10K different than the 'best price' offered by the local dealer. To me, the 'service from your local dealer' is a mute point. Regardless of where we purchase the RV, chances are we will be travelling away from our home base when we actually need service. So to me, the important issue is that Cedar Creek has good service representation throughout the country and they will treat me with the same respect they treat ANY Cedar Creek owners, regardless of where it was purchased. Is this true or false?

I agree with you. I have one TT and one HTT. One from a good dealer , one from a marginal dealer. I really dont use either of them . I have one stored at a site at a beach and serviced by a local dealer that does a good job. I rarely discuss items with the original dealer. I would agree if your camper would be near where you live normally, and you have a customer oriented dealer, then a dealer would be good. however if I had it to do over, I will be looking at RVWhosalers probably, or somewhat like them having a good documented track record

Second Bath - we have a one line motto we try and answer when deciding on options, amenities or additions - what will be doing 90% of the time. I am still confused about the 2nd potty. I am not particularly thrilled about the kids or other guests coming into our bedroom in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Our kids, 7 & 9, not really a problem. In Laws, in the middle of the night, problem. We have read many threads that say the extra potty is a waste of space & money and is another 'thing' to maintain and keep clean. How many of you out there have one and wish now you didnt? How many of you out there dont have one and wish you did? Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

this is a personal choice. Ours have been in a common area where guests do not interfere with privacy of others while sleeping.Not sure how the two bathrooms are plumbed , if on opposite ends , i would guess would be more plumbing and maintenance, but I dont have personal experience.

King Sized Bed - we actually both agree on this as I am not as, uh-hum, condensed as I once was. We think we prefer the models where the bed is on the slide out giving us more closet space and a little more room. Is this worth the extra money?

we have a dinette/couch on one slide and a small bedrrom on the second slide. Our bed is a queen size I think and has been acceptable, we adding 4 inch memory foam and it has been very comfortable. Someone may comment regarding bed location, I cant .

Tow Vehicle - Although I own a company and several vehicles, including the following:
  • Chevy Sliverado crew cab with 4.8 V8 Gas Engine
  • Chevy Silverado Ext Cab with 5.3 V8 Gas Engine
  • Chevy 2500 Duramax Diesel Engine
  • Chevy 3500 Dually Diesel Engine
Oddly enough, I really have no clue about vehicles or what I really need to pull either camper. Amy & I agree that one of these should do what we need but never feel comfortable with the salesman as EACH of them, in a desperate attempt to make the sale, have told us, 'oh yeah, that VW Beetle over there will pull this thing!' To put this more in context, most of the time, the camper will be at the seasonal site which will require a 200 mile round trip. Once or twice a year, we will be taking a 2 week vacation that may end up being 3000 miles round trip. What do we REALLY need for these
situations?

Need to confirm but the diesels should work, check gearing also, it is good to check things out.

How Important are the following:
  • 16" Tires--I would like these, better weight /safety margin
  • 15000 BTU AC--addn margin at temp above 90s but mine ok at 12,5
  • 10 Gallon Water Heater-- good to have, i dont, but have to use the conservation head we added, 6 gallon works for us, depends on family size
  • Exterior Grill-some like these, i have a larger grille i use. having under the awning can grease up the awning if you keep it out, but many people like this
  • Exterior Shower-nice to clean feet, misc, fish, etc. i have a water hose, and an exterior access door to the bathroom.
  • Awnings for Slideouts--dont have these, some dont shed water well
  • Manual vs Automatic Awnings==good concept, unless it has auto sensor wont help when go out, it certainly is nice and convenient for putting awning in and out. if i had it i would put my awning out more. I have had one blown off last year, not pretty.
There are just TONS of questions in my head and I am not capable enough to put them in writing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the most important question is, I am on the right track with Cedar Creek and is bigger always better? i like cedar creek, very nice. bigger is better longterm, it certainly gives you more options going forward. It is good whether you tow or store, it will be comfortable.

hope you enjoy your new camper. you are selecting from quality designs that would serve you well. there are pros and cons with every design. with your options and designs you are considering, there wont be much you will need to add later.

Enjoy

Thanks in advance,

Bob & Amy
i entered my message within your message for simplicity/ enjoy your new rv
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

I would sure vote for the 5er. we have had TTs and 5ers both and we love to pull the fifth wheels better than the TTs. Just my 2%
fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel