Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

Onan generator

Hi Just asking if anybody has hooked a Onan generator before.Our fifth wheel has the switch and hour meter inside for a Onan generator already.I can’t get no power to the plug end that plugs into the generator.We are plugged into power so would that make a difference.Its a used 3600 Onan LP generator so would like to see if it will turn over,etc.I don’t see a oil filter so would I only have to cut out for the oil plug to drain oil and for the exhaust pipe?I seen some pics that have a box build around the generator.Would I have to do that?We live in our fifth wheel so hard to take it to a rv place.I am new at this so any help would be appropriated Thanks in advance
hittheroadgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

I'm kinda lost on your question. But if you have one, some do not have a transfer switch, you have to plug your power cord into them. If you have a transfer switch you don't have to do that step. Is that what you are asking, or am I being dumb?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

Your camper should have knock put spot(big square steel plate)where the generator sits,for your oil drain and filter underneath also that's where your exhaust pipe will exit,should have electrical box near by where you hard wire the generator.
Matt sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #4

I read this about 3 times, says I think you want to start the generator from a remote switch correct? Do you have a battery hooked into the generator? You need a 12 volt battery, the remote switch will just transfer the battery to the starter. I might be confussing you. You need a battery and you should have a start switch on the generator that would by pass the remote. Try it there... You have to have a battery 12v to start it. Does that help?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I'm kinda lost on your question. But if you have one, some do not have a transfer switch, you have to plug your power cord into them. If you have a transfer switch you don't have to do that step. Is that what you are asking, or am I being dumb?

No you are not being dumb,it’s me lol This is a 2007 Cameo Carridge I don’t see anyplace I can plug into I am answering that right?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I read this about 3 times, says I think you want to start the generator from a remote switch correct? Do you have a battery hooked into the generator? You need a 12 volt battery, the remote switch will just transfer the battery to the starter. I might be confussing you. You need a battery and you should have a start switch on the generator that would by pass the remote. Try it there... You have to have a battery 12v to start it. Does that help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	202754 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	202755 One pic is inside and the other pic is the plug that I am trying to get power to And of course that plugs into the generator.I do have 2 batteries and looks like the wires go to it but can’t tell for sure.Does that kind of help
Old 04-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sr View Post
Your camper should have knock put spot(big square steel plate)where the generator sits,for your oil drain and filter underneath also that's where your exhaust pipe will exit,should have electrical box near by where you hard wire the generator.

Hey Matt Yes the whole bottom is steel I don’t see a filter.All I see is a plate with 2 screws and that’s were the oil bung is.How big of a hole would I need.The oil bung and exhaust pipe are about 1foot apart.I do have a box and it does say generator on it.It also has a pretty big white wire coming out of the box.I do see I have a black,green and white coming from the generator
Old 04-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Green ground (hook to camper frame)white is neutral and black is hot.I will send a pic from my under neath in a min.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_190222.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	202840
Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #10

Matt I am not really getting it,and it’s just me lol.Do you have a pic were your wires go from the generator,like when they go into the silver box.Hope this makes sense

Tags
generator, onan