Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #1

ontario camping

Hello All, just wondering if anyone one out there if from the Barrie or surrounding area and has some favorite camp grounds to visit that they might want to share with us. Does not have to be provincial parks. Thanks
bryanne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

Well,

I am not from Barrie (anymore that is) but we stayed at the Barrie KOA for 10 days this summer and it is very nice. Of course if you live in Barrie than that is a moot point. Another place we camped was Happyland campground in Kakabeka Falls. It is very nice there and lots to see. Of course that would be a 2 day drive from Barrie as it is just west of Thunder Bay.

Happy Land Campground

THose are the only 2 that we stayed at that I would comment on.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

There is a nice provincial park is Sutton. It is on the other side of lake Simco. The name of the camground is Sibbald Point. The KOA in Barrie is very nice, we camped there several years ago. It even has a pizza palour on site that will deliver to your camper.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
There is a nice provincial park is Sutton. It is on the other side of lake Simco. The name of the camground is Sibbald Point. The KOA in Barrie is very nice, we camped there several years ago. It even has a pizza palour on site that will deliver to your camper.

Had their pizza on a few occasions while we were there and it was pretty good.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Gas Mans

Our favourite, so far, in that area is Nicholston Dam near Alliston (accross from the Nottawasaga Inn)
Gas Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Bryanne7...........

Are you looking for a campsite real close to home, or are you looking to travel a little? We've stayed at the KOA at Cookstown (HWY 400 and 89) and the KOA just outside of Gravenhurst. Both are great.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #7

How far do you want to travel? We are 2 and 1/2hrs or so southwest of you but one of our favourite places is Grundy Lake Prov. Park between Parry Sound and Sudbury. We mostly like the fall season for the quiet and the lesser amount of bugs (I guess you know about blackflies and mosquitos already though). We have never camped in any of the private parks but all the prov. parks along that stretch right up to just past Sudbury seem quite nice. We often stop in to check out parks we pass on the way home just by asking at the gate and using our expired pass from the night before. Good luck and enjoy yourselves. Old Guys
Old 01-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #8

ontario camping

thanks, Grundy was on our list to do this year, sounds like a great park. Wish the parks web site was up and running so we could book
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
ARLO

Ontario camping

We are from Rochester, NY and travel to Ontario quite often. Our favorite camping spots are Green Acre Park in St Jacobs and Shalamar Campground at Niagara on the Lake. This one is good for scenic bike rides. If you are looking for spots in NY, there are many.

If you want to really explore eastern Canada, you should plan a trip to tour all of the Maritime Provences. We did that last year. We started in the 1000 islands, thru Ont. Quebec, NB, NS, PEI, back to NS, bay of Fundy, Maine, NH, Ma and NY back to Rochester.We were gone 6 weeks and that really was not long enough. Some of the most beautifus sights we ever experienced.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #10

Being in Southern Ontario, we find ourself going states side more than staying in Ontario. The prices are cheaper, the sites are bigger, and the parks seem to be better taken care of.and of course lets not forget about the shopping. We have a jellystone 2 miles from home, we will drive 20 miles states side before staying there.
bartiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #11

We live in the Alliston Area, and have camped at the following Provincial Campgrounds that we would recommend;

Bass Lake PP in Orillia: (Nice clean beach, our favorite site is 50 as it is near washrooms and field for grandkids)

Arrowhead PP in Huntsville: ( only been there once but will go back)

Mew Lake Algonquin: nice campground near Lake of Two Rivers. Clean park from all aspects.

Bon Echo PP: a bit of a drive to but it is a real nice park, but hard to get into.

Balsam Lake PP: only been there once but will go back, nice size beach and make sure you bring your bike as it is a large park.

We have not done any private campgrounds yet but are looking into starting.

Chris
Willybgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #12

where to go

thanks for the info. we are planning a trip down east next year. Wife would really like to see a whale. Did you go on a whale sight seeing tour?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #13

We actually did go out east a couple of years ago and stayed in familys driveway near halifax, but I can look up the info on the campgrounds that were our backup plan if you would like.

One more piece of advise that I received from a friend. Only travel for 8 hours max and then setup camp. This makes for a more enjoyable trip and gives you a chance to explore the area you are staying as well. I found that by doing the 8 hours I was not tired by the time we got out there.

I would also recommend staying at Fundy National Park. (Make reservation before hand, go past the gatehouse without stopping and go to the Campground gatehouse. This will save you the daily cost for the park that they will charge you. I found this out the hard way. But once you are at your campsite, you get the slip for your vehicle too.)

BTW what kind of trailer do you have?

Chris
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #14

Trillium Woods Casmpground Olipant near Wiarton and Sauble Beach treated me very well last year when I was working in the area and stayed there. Lots of shady sites, sandy soil quaint little lake setting, clean bathrooms.

Macgregor Point Provincial Park near Kincardine is an interesting park. Rockier setting. Large park recently reopened so everything was recently upgraded. Nice trails to explore.

If you want a more commercial suburbia feel Carsons in Sauble Beach is a nice spot for kids . Pool, splash pad and walking access to the most awesome beach in Ontario IMHO. paved park roads make for nice rollerblading. Definitely not roughing it and little shade. Nice clean bathrooms as well.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanne7 View Post
Hello All, just wondering if anyone one out there if from the Barrie or surrounding area and has some favorite camp grounds to visit that they might want to share with us. Does not have to be provincial parks. Thanks
We are from Ontario and we have camped in Ontario Provincial Parks, private campgrounds and KOA in Ontario and State Side along with some other private campgrounds.

My pick for an Ontario Provincial Park would be Killbear Provinical Park (booking for Extra Large Electrical sites can be tricky as these sites are the first to be booked in the prime summer months).

My pick for a KOA would be to drive down to the State side (Penn State area) as the KOA Campgrounds are too close to the Barrie are such as Cookstown and Owen Sound.

My pick for private campgrounds with Full Hookup and close to Barrie would be TOJO Campground; facilities are endless and Seasonal Campers along with Hosts Bob and Louise are warm and welcoming.
MegaCabby is offline   Reply With Quote