Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Infractee

Opinions on equipping new TT needed

Hello to all, have been lurking for three months while shopping for our new TT. We found exactly the model we want in the Rockwood 8316ss and are about to order from one of the online dealers. We have always had tent/popup campers so there are a few items available as options that I would like opinions on as to usefulness and/or you wish your trailer had or things that you did buy that now you feel like were a waste of money...
My main items of concern are;
power stab jacks
Slide awning
Rear ladder
Extra fans in place of regular vents {creat-a-breeze}

Thanks for your help and opinions!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

The power jacks are nice, but not essential.
Slide awnings have lots of advantages, and cost little when ordered with the trailer. We bought them.
Rear ladder is also very inexpensive and very handy.
Get at least one create-a-breeze fan. We have two in the bedroom/bathroom area, run both when having a shower, as moisture in the camper is your greatest enemy.
Good luck on your purchase!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

With the create-a-breeze you may want to consider a remote control one. I thought it was being lazy and we didn't get it on our last TT. Well when it came in it was over the bed and I couldn't reach it to turn it on/off. Then I realized why it was a good idea to have. I could barely reach the reg vent fan over the pottie. Just a thought.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #4

We just got our new Rockwood 5er from RV Wholesalers last month and I made sure that I got what I wanted this time. The last travel trailer I passed on a few items that I later wish that I had gotten.
I agree with crocus on the stabilizer jacks. They are nice but not a necessity. I do appreciate them on a hot day when I am cranking them up/down.
There are disagreements on the slideout awnings but I would not own a trailer without them. We ordered our previous travel trailer without it and the first time we brought the slide in, water ran in the camper from the previous night's rain. Needless to say we had them installed soon after that. It does cost quite a bit more to have them installed after the fact. If you choose to go without them you will need to either carry a ladder or climb on the roof to broom them off. You do not want to have any debris on there when you roll it in to tear up the seals. Those are very expensive.
The ladder is very inexpensive and I would go with it. It makes it nice to do inspections on your roof every month or so.
I would also consider the 15k a/c upgrade if you plan on camping where the weather is hot. It is very inexpensive and you will appreciate it.
I did not go with the fans because the only vent we use is the bathroom vent and it came with it. They are nice though if you think you will use your other vents.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Infractee

Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated!

The a/c upgrade is already a done deal, not even up for debate. We live in Texas so a/c is something that is on top of list, right under tires! hehe
I think the slide topper is a good deal as well, $250 for the large slide.
The electric stab jacks, only a $260 cost upgrade but right now I do use my cordless with a socket on it to run them up and down easy enough, sure would be nice to just hit a button I guess...

It does come with the one fan in the restroom, I was thinking another over the master bed that reversed could be like a poor mans ceiling fan when it is nice outside? I did not even know they had remote conyrolled ones tho, that is something I need to look into.

The ladder, never had with PU obviously, was thinking the only time I would probably be on roof is at home while doing cleaning/maintenance, it is cheap at only $80 but, I was also thinking the fewer penetrations into outer shell of camper the better in long run?

I am getting camper with standard conv package, 15k a/c upgrade, king U dinette, air mattress hide-a-bed, powered tongue jack, counter extension, SS appliance pack and cherry cabs, seriously thinking about the slide awning and extra fan now...
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
The Old Man

A dealer add-on (not an FR option) that you can probably negotiate into your deal is to cover your vents with MaxxAir II covers. I will never have another rig without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0349.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	3386  

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
The Old Man

Another thing that I just got to try out last weekend for the first time when the overnight temps got into the low 40s was our heated mattress. I tend to be cold easily and the warm mattress was wonderful. If that is an option for you, I would highly recommend it. Even Texas gets cold in the winter.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #8

I agree with willis i never thought we would ever use it but the heated mattress it is very nice on chilly night and all the other thing are very usefull
Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #9

If I were to order a new trailer, these are the options I'd choose.

◦Extra Create-a-Breeze fan
◦15,000 BTU Ducted Roof Air
◦Raised Refrigerator Panels
◦Awning Slide Topper
◦Rear Ladder
◦LCD BEDROOM TV. - Maybe
◦Minimum Carpet available
◦Free Standing Table and Chairs
◦Atrium Slide Windows ( Super Slides)
◦Counter Top Extension

As others have stated, the power stabilizer jacks are nice, but they may give trouble down the road.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Grape Escape

Definitely the ladder. We missed it on our first trailer and would never be without it unless you plan on carrying a portable one all the time.
Manual awning in place of electric
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

I wish I would have gotten the slide awnings.
Also the fantastic fans. Be sure to put the MaxAir's on each vent as Willis said. If you run down the road with both open on a hot day, even in a hard rain, your camper will be much cooler when you 'get there'!
I tried to get the dealer to change the tires from the 6-ply that FR puts on, (They really should consider 10-ply on EVERYHING they sell!) to a 10-ply. The dealer wonld not.
I have a friend that is a very good tire dealer, I got the 10-ply Maxxis and gave him the 6-ply Carlisles and another one or two hundred to boot, I forget which. I NEVER worry about high speed blowouts and we go to FL a lot!

The Ladder comes in real handy, not only for a platform that won't move when you get on it, also a GREAT place to put bikes, lawn chairs, etc.

I do have to save, the best thing I did was to go with the Reese Dual-Cam hitch, no sway at all, and even when I drive stupid and run off the edge of the road, it does no go into the next lane when I come back on the road!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
Infractee

Excellent Ideas and suggestions!
I am going with min carpet, I hate the stuff myself, wish they would do it in all lino but they will not.
I am ordering the extra fan and slide awning for sure.
I appreciate the recommendations on the heated mattress, will consider that as well.
The Maxxair vents I will add as well, they sound like a great idea, especially if left in storage and have the vents cracked open without having to worry about rain getting inside.

I am still unsure of the ladder... Like I said, being in a popup for several years I can not see a reason for anybody to be on the roof other than for maintenance? From everything I have read from FR and dicor the best way to keep from having leaks in your rubber roof and for it to last a long time is to not damage the rubber, I would think it would be easy enough to do slight to heavy damage trying to put bikes, chairs, or any other such things up there? How would you even secure/tie down something as bulky as a bike to the roof?

Dezolen, you mentioned the ladder as well and that you missed it and would never be without it again so I am curious, what are you doing on the roof, at the camp grounds?

I am thinking as a weekend camper, any time I am on the roof it will be in front of my house doing PM or maint
I understand if you were long terming it for several months at a CG you would need to get up there for regular inspections but being so very far away from even sniffing retirement that is not something on our radar....
It also seems to me to be an irresistible inviting item for every kid that happens to be around to climb, dont want them on my roof either.....

I guess I am missing it?
Maybe my next TT will have a ladder.....
Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Infractee

jackhartjr,

Very jealous of your PD4501 I Love the SceniCruisers!!

Got any pictures or a blog of your conversion?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #14

We got the ladder installed on our new flagstaff.

Somehow, the thought of a vent blowing off or needing to cover a leak and no way to get to it in the camp ground didn't seem like a good way to go to me....
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #15

I would definately get the ladder.

We were camping last month in 95 degree temps with a/c running like crazy. Somehow we ended up with moisture running in the motorhome dripping on the kitchen table. DH had to get on top of the camper and fix something. We do have an older camper, but would've been a pain without the ladder.
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #16

You do not put the bikes or chairs on the roof. My chairs are mounted on the ladder when we travel. You can get a bike rack that goes on the ladder.

2007 F150
2008 windjammer 3001w

Been at campground since April 16 2010 Been in trailer since April 1st.
Fulltimers
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #17
Grape Escape

I use the ladder to sweep off the slides.(All of 5 minutes) Never seen the need for slide awnings personally. I used to carry one of those telescopic ladders and it was a PITA plus I was always worried about damaging the outside walls with it leaning on trailer.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #18

I like my slide awning. Helps shed the rain from the flat roof of the slide. When I close the slide (even in the rain) it's dry. Makes cleaning the slide roof a little bit more difficult, but a telescoping water brush cures that...
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
Infractee

Now those are great reasons to need a ladder that I did not even think of! Ladder is on the spec sheet now, along with slide awning, vent covers and possibly a heated mattress.
Thanks again for your help, it has been eye opening!

RZ
Old 09-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #20

RZ, I am glad you chose the ladder. This is the best reason...someday you will need to get on your roof, (And beleive me, at more than 300 pounds, it does not move under me at all!) and you will need a stable platform, the ladder does it. If you put a regular ladder on the side/rear, you are asking to fall off getting on or off!
And like the poster above said, they make a neat bike hanger to help hang bikes, chairs and mouthy mothers-in-law off the ladder!
Wise choice my friend!
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote