Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Opinions on equipping new TT needed

Hello to all, have been lurking for three months while shopping for our new TT. We found exactly the model we want in the Rockwood 8316ss and are about to order from one of the online dealers. We have always had tent/popup campers so there are a few items available as options that I would like opinions on as to usefulness and/or you wish your trailer had or things that you did buy that now you feel like were a waste of money...
My main items of concern are;
power stab jacks
Slide awning
Rear ladder
Extra fans in place of regular vents {creat-a-breeze}

Thanks for your help and opinions!

RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
The power jacks are nice, but not essential.
Slide awnings have lots of advantages, and cost little when ordered with the trailer. We bought them.
Rear ladder is also very inexpensive and very handy.
Get at least one create-a-breeze fan. We have two in the bedroom/bathroom area, run both when having a shower, as moisture in the camper is your greatest enemy.
Good luck on your purchase!

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
With the create-a-breeze you may want to consider a remote control one. I thought it was being lazy and we didn't get it on our last TT. Well when it came in it was over the bed and I couldn't reach it to turn it on/off. Then I realized why it was a good idea to have. I could barely reach the reg vent fan over the pottie. Just a thought.
Donna=Me Tom=DH
2 DD's-grown, 1 DS grown, 1 DIL
4 DGD's, 1 DGS, 1 Pekingese(7/1/1999-6/18/2016)
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
We just got our new Rockwood 5er from RV Wholesalers last month and I made sure that I got what I wanted this time. The last travel trailer I passed on a few items that I later wish that I had gotten.
I agree with crocus on the stabilizer jacks. They are nice but not a necessity. I do appreciate them on a hot day when I am cranking them up/down.
There are disagreements on the slideout awnings but I would not own a trailer without them. We ordered our previous travel trailer without it and the first time we brought the slide in, water ran in the camper from the previous night's rain. Needless to say we had them installed soon after that. It does cost quite a bit more to have them installed after the fact. If you choose to go without them you will need to either carry a ladder or climb on the roof to broom them off. You do not want to have any debris on there when you roll it in to tear up the seals. Those are very expensive.
The ladder is very inexpensive and I would go with it. It makes it nice to do inspections on your roof every month or so.
I would also consider the 15k a/c upgrade if you plan on camping where the weather is hot. It is very inexpensive and you will appreciate it.
I did not go with the fans because the only vent we use is the bathroom vent and it came with it. They are nice though if you think you will use your other vents.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated!

The a/c upgrade is already a done deal, not even up for debate. We live in Texas so a/c is something that is on top of list, right under tires! hehe
I think the slide topper is a good deal as well, $250 for the large slide.
The electric stab jacks, only a $260 cost upgrade but right now I do use my cordless with a socket on it to run them up and down easy enough, sure would be nice to just hit a button I guess...

It does come with the one fan in the restroom, I was thinking another over the master bed that reversed could be like a poor mans ceiling fan when it is nice outside? I did not even know they had remote conyrolled ones tho, that is something I need to look into.

The ladder, never had with PU obviously, was thinking the only time I would probably be on roof is at home while doing cleaning/maintenance, it is cheap at only $80 but, I was also thinking the fewer penetrations into outer shell of camper the better in long run?

I am getting camper with standard conv package, 15k a/c upgrade, king U dinette, air mattress hide-a-bed, powered tongue jack, counter extension, SS appliance pack and cherry cabs, seriously thinking about the slide awning and extra fan now...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
The Old Man
A dealer add-on (not an FR option) that you can probably negotiate into your deal is to cover your vents with MaxxAir II covers. I will never have another rig without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0349.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	3386  
2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
The Old Man
Another thing that I just got to try out last weekend for the first time when the overnight temps got into the low 40s was our heated mattress. I tend to be cold easily and the warm mattress was wonderful. If that is an option for you, I would highly recommend it. Even Texas gets cold in the winter.
2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
I agree with willis i never thought we would ever use it but the heated mattress it is very nice on chilly night and all the other thing are very usefull
2008 8296SS Rockwood Signature Ultralite
2002 Silverado 2500HD extended cab
chevy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
If I were to order a new trailer, these are the options I'd choose.

◦Extra Create-a-Breeze fan
◦15,000 BTU Ducted Roof Air
◦Raised Refrigerator Panels
◦Awning Slide Topper
◦Rear Ladder
◦Minimum Carpet available
◦Free Standing Table and Chairs
◦Atrium Slide Windows ( Super Slides)
◦Counter Top Extension

As others have stated, the power stabilizer jacks are nice, but they may give trouble down the road.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Grape Escape
Definitely the ladder. We missed it on our first trailer and would never be without it unless you plan on carrying a portable one all the time.
Manual awning in place of electric

2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote