Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Outside caulking and sealing?

So I had no rear turn signal on my 2016 flagstaff 23lb so I opened up the light. There is no caulk on anything even the 1 inch hole for the wires is wide open. There is only a foam gasket on the back of the light. I would have thought they would caulk around the perimeter of everything. I walked around and some things are caulked but most are not. Not even one marker light is caulked but the water inlet and solar hookup is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428355970.527981.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	73297
Old 04-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

Never assume anything...

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

My Rockwood Windjammer is caulked everywhere but I am going to look closer.

I live about 6 miles from the dealer your trailer came from!!

Linc

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK
2014 Ram 1500
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure someone forgot the caulking on this one. None of the markers, baggage doors or ladder are caulked. Although the black tank flush, winterizing and water hookup are. We loved fun-n-sun rv they were perfect to deal with and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

My 2011 Wildwood has butyl tape plus silicone caulking everywhere on the exterior wall seams/joints. Good news is it was caulked; bad news is silicone has pulled away in some areas and I've found it is impossible to remove all of the silicone so I can recaulk. Someone suggested a hairdryer but I haven't tried that yet.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Good time to upgrade to LED light assemblies if they aren't already.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #7

If this is a new, less than a year old TT, check/inspect all inside walls where you know there was not any sealant!! The first bubble in the inside wall go to the dealer for a wall replacement!!
I had a competitive TT, they did not seal the rear window, it leaked. The rear inside wall bubbled and separated from the insulation. The whole rear panel (inside/outside walls) had to be replaced. The outside looks OK. The inside was done in a hurry, unfinished trim, shelves crooked, etc.. The dealer and I are still having words.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

It's 3 weeks old!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

As I did go after the manufacturer and dealer for an extended warranty/guarantee any defects for at least 4 years. No matter if you bought it a week after it was made, it was out in the weather and the problems may not show up until the water starts to evaporate in warmer weather.
No matter what we pay too much for these type of problems. There is no way any TT should come off the assembly line with these problems and the dealer say "you bought it, now seal/fix it".
Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #10

After seeing that, I think I will be checking my cutout holes for the lights as well. that looks like a water leak waiting to happen.

Thanks for pointing this out to us.

Vin,

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

Trailer lights

I walked around my trailer one day and noticed half of them were upside down. Don't know if that makes a difference but definitely no quality control. I flipped them over. No big deal
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

Before you buy a new RV, hire an expert inspector.

Recently I was informed by both my Dealer (Camper Clinic) and Manufacturer (Salem) that caulking repairs are not included under their warranty (as are not a bunch of other things). So before you sign on the line to purchase any new RV, read your warranty documents very carefully and hire an expert to check the RV out for a few hundred bucks. Then make sure all of the specific necessary fixes identified by your expert are part of your purchase contract before you sign it!

My Dealer required me to sign a two-page list of everything that had been "checked out by their expert technicians" prior to delivery and had passed their inspection. Much to my sorrow, I later found numerous warranty problems that should have been identified by an adequate pre-inspection including an unconnected light fixture, water plumbing leaks, loose drain connections, improperly installed air ducting, an inoperative vent control, a bent awining support and absence of side caulking on most of the windows and doors. A pre-purchase inspection (by your expert) is especially important for new RV's that will have to be returned to the Dealer's location for warranty repairs, and for destination type trailers that are very difficult to take back to the Dealer for repairs.
Alexha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk