Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Patio Room

We have a Palomino Sabre 5th wheel 31ft. We are considering adding a tent-like patio room. We have heard that because we have an electric awning (and maybe other reasons) that we would/should take it down when it is windy! We live in Manitoba and winter in Texas - both places are windy, so I don't want to be putting it up and taking it down everyday! Are there any solutions to this? Can the patio room be secured in some way so that it can handle the wind?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's not the room that is the problem, it is the awning, or at least that what I've read. If you have a wind sensor, the awning may roll up unexpectedly, taking your room with it, or destroy itself, trying to.

Maybe others will chime in as I don't have an electric awning.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I do have an electric awning but it doesn't have a wind sensor so I'm more concerned with the integrity of the tent and perhaps the awning. I've seen some tent extensions that look like they are pretty well secured with ropes, straps etc but wonder if they too are a problem when you try to tighten them. Does that put a strain on the awning?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, I'm not the right guy, as I don't have one, and have only seen one electric awing in use. I was camped when a storm came through, I got my awning in, even in 50 mph plus winds, but the electric didn't survive that long. Don't know if it had wind sensor or not. It looked flimsy and shook all week-end.

There is another thread on here about someone wanting to do the same thing, and I think the advice given was don't, but my memory is getting older than I am.

Alternative would be a screened room maybe? Maybe a black light bug zapper? Probably cheaper than a screened room. Also, if where you are staying is windy, how bad are the bugs? Most don't hang around in the wind. Just some thoughts.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #5

Got back from Mytle Beach a couple weeks ago. Left the campground one day and went 36 miles north. Was 95 degrees, sun shining, not a cloud in the sky. Were camped 50 yards off the beach, only thing between us and the ocean was a Minnie Winne and the dunes. Well, don't ya know a big ole storm rolls in (wife and I on the bike-yeah that was FUN!) Got back to the campground and noticed all of the awnings rolled up. Well, except mine. It was flapping in the breeze, arms extended hanging by the tube. Pulled the whole thing right out of the track on the side of the 5er. My son and I popped the roller out, wound up the awning and slid it back in the channel. How on earth that thing didn't rip or bend the arms is beyond me, but I ain't complainin!!! And now I won't go anywhere unless I roll that stupid thing up! Hassle to take the lites off all the time, but I ain't taking no more chances. Just a word of advice, if it's windy and a gust gets a hold of it look out!

Tags
5th wheel