Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
bmg

Question Pondering Generators

Just bought a SV264 and am spending heavily getting all the goodies I need or think I need. In the past we tent camped on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and would like to take the tt there later this summer. Of course, there's no power at these sites and most everyone in the RV loop has a generator.

I've researched them a ton. We could go the Yamaha or Honda route, but no more than we plan to be without full hook ups, the cost doesn't make sense. We have a 6500 W generator for the house so the tt generator would be dedicated just for that and maybe a project or 2 around the yard from time to time.

I don't fully trust the Boily from what I've read and was leaning more toward a 3500 W Champion. For $299 it looks like a deal for the money. However, the 68 db bothers me a little since I do want to get along with everyone.

In searching the past discussions, someone mentioned the Duro power DP3500LPG 3500w and seemed to really like it. In checking it out the 63db is a big improvement. At first, I was skeptical about all propane, but it really might make some sense. We have 4 or 5 20# tanks kicking around which I can get filled for $12.99. In addition we wouldn't have to mess with gasoline, which would is a problem since we have a GMC Yukon and not a pickup.

I can buy the Duro Power DP3500LPG 3500w for $499 with free ship. Here's the link. What do you think?

DuroPowerŪ - DP3500LPG 3500w Propane Generator w Free Shipping!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #2

The important question for you is what really are your power needs? Are you going to be running air conditioning all the time? If not then a 2kw portable Honda will do nicely. Two of them together can run AC. Nice thing is they are quiet, very quiet.

This last week we were set up in our nice meadow watching the elk across the road grazing when a guy pulled in and started setting up his trailer. He proceeded to pull out one of those budget brand and obnoxiously loud generators and set it up behind his rig. All I could think of was "oh great, now I'm gonna have to listen to that!" You don't want to be "that guy". Thankfully he loaded back up and left as quickly as he came but a few months ago we weren't so lucky and we had to endure an entire otherwise peaceful evening split by the racket of a neighbor with a generator that sounded like a busted chainsaw. None of us want to go out to enjoy the outdoors and have to listen to that.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
bmg

I've researched and have read several posts where 1 of the Honda's wouldn't power the AC and the TV at the same time w/o turning off the TV when it surged. So to be safe we need something a little bigger. The Honda's and Yamaha's are 60 db or less. The Duro Power at 63 db is close to that level.
I don't want to spend 2k on this deal.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

If you are running AC then look carefully at your numbers. RVs with generators to run AC are always fitted with 3.5kw to 4.0kw continuous generators. The one you have specd' out is 3500 surge and 2500 continuous. I don't think it will do the job of running AC. And you are correct you would need two of the 2K Hondas to do the job tethered together.

Also the 'idle down' feature on generators I have found to be a marketing gimmic and bunk. If you disconnect all load from the gen then yet it will idle down but when using a generator there is always a load on it so they never idle down. Don't worry about that feature in your deliberations.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
bmg

I think the Duro would be ok with the AC we have. Their specs are similar to the yamaha ef3000iseb. We probably can't run the AC and the microwave at the same time, but everything else should be ok. Unless the heat is unbearable we won't have everything running at once.

The propane should burn cleaner and a 20# tank seems to last a while.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
If you are running AC then look carefully at your numbers. RVs with generators to run AC are always fitted with 3.5kw to 4.0kw continuous generators. The one you have specd' out is 3500 surge and 2500 continuous. I don't think it will do the job of running AC. And you are correct you would need two of the 2K Hondas to do the job tethered together.

Also the 'idle down' feature on generators I have found to be a marketing gimmic and bunk. If you disconnect all load from the gen then yet it will idle down but when using a generator there is always a load on it so they never idle down. Don't worry about that feature in your deliberations.

Just to clairify some things, a Honda EU3000is generator easily powers our 13.5k air and anything else in the trailer. Of course you can't use the air with the microwave but pretty much anything else is ok. Also the ECO throttle works very well on my Honda as it only throttles up as much as needed to it's max of 1800 rpms/ When we use the coffee maker or air it will go full throttle while the compressor is running or when the coffee maker is making coffee but then throttle back. The generator will just be at idle or barely above when the coffee maker has finished perking and we are watching a movie even with a few lights on. This performance is likely attributed to the inverter technology as it isn't spinning a genny head that actually generates AC but an alternator to generate DC. Also fuel consumption is very low, we averaged approx 15 hrs on a tank of fuel one weekend we dry camped last fall. So at the end of the day you do get what you pay for and at 1/4 power the Honda is rate at 48db so there are not many genny sets that even come close to it's performance and noise levels. We keep ours tethered in the truck box and it is even quieter.
I have only one complaint about the EU3000is and that is our Tassimo coffee machine will not work correctly on it.. Makes the T-Disks explode for some reason.

So at the end of the day I am left with the following obseverations of the Honda. Expensive:yes, Reliable: Typical Honda Yes, Quiet: Probably the quietest of all RV gennys, Fuel efficient: Very, ECO Mode: Works very well, Portable: Umm Sure at 130lbs I am able to pick it up and put it in the truck by my self but it is alot of weight and last price: Very high but cheaper than the equivalent Yamaha that IMO is not quite as good. One other thing, the Honda's are a highly desirable item for thieves so make sure you secure them very well or someone else may be enjoying your generator.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Makes the T-Disks explode for some reason.
Odd, but funny. I'd like to see this. Sounds kinda fun. Honda just does things right and not all 3kw generators are alike, one has to check the numbers. The honda is probably a true 3kw with a higher surge I am guessing and not a 2.5kw with a 3.5kw surge. One must also remember that the converter is also putting out at the same time and can draw many amps.

Gotta love the Hondas for quiet too. I really appreciate when the camper next to us pulls one of those out. I know my peace and quiet won't be ruined.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Gotta love the Hondas for quiet too. I really appreciate when the camper next to us pulls one of those out. I know my peace and quiet won't be ruined.
Your thoughts on the Honda are the same as people who camped around us last fall. One fellow came over while we were outside eating and asked if we had genny and then realized it was running in the box of the truck.

When we decided to purchase this unit, we did a great deal of research and read many RV articles about camping etiquite etc and then even with the cost went with the Honda as we have also camped around people with standard gennys and they can be quite annoying at best. It is IMHO that as RVers we should strive to think of the fellow campers around us as much as ourselves because is this not part of why Rvers are considered the friendliest people around.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote