Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #1

Popular Trailer Mods - Why?

Hi folks.

I love seeing all the mods everyone does, and am looking forward to doing some myself. The reasons behind some are obvious; shelfing in cupboards, adding drawers, etc. But there are a few popular mods that many folks do but there is no reason posted as to why they do them.

For example:
  • Swapping out the analogue thermostat for a digital one. Many are doing that, so there must be a benefit, but what is that benefit?
  • Tie downs for the power awning. Is that something I need to do? I had thought I could just push a button and put the awning away (I love that!) if it became windy, but is that enough?
  • Adding an oxygenics shower head. I've just used our shower once so far and thought the water pressure was pretty good. We were running water from the holding tank which uses the onboard pump.

We've only just taken our new 25KS out for it's maiden voyage, so perhaps in time the reasons behind these mods would become apparent.

jacqui583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #2

As far as having an Oxygenics shower head (like we do).......

For those that have one, no words are necessary.
For those that donít, no words can do it justice.

Just sayiní

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

I'll address the digital thermostat. The digital ones tend to be much "tighter." That means there is much less difference in the temperature at which it comes on and goes off. Analog models are very imprecise. Also, in many analog models the "swing" (temperature difference between turn on and off) can be many degrees. What is "swing"?
Say you set it for 75 degrees. The analog one won't turn on to cool the RV until around 77. It then will stay on until the RV gets down to to around 73. So, you will get very hot and then feel like you are freezing.

The "swing" in most digital thermostats are much closer. Coming on at the temperature you set and then going off 1-2 degrees below that.

The digital thermostats cost a little more, so the manufacturers keep using the analog models.

As for the awning tie downs, no you don't "need" them. Just be sure to bring in your awning if it is getting windy, or when you leave the RV for any length of time. I've been RVing for quite a few years and have never used them. I'd venture to say that most people don't.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #4

The digital thermostat is a good mod. Cant speak for everyone, but for us it was an accuracy thing. The analog one was off by like 7 degrees, and it caused the A/C to go on and off and on and off and on and off. But with the digital one, the temp is much more accurate, and it doesnt go on and off as often

Old 08-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #5

Digital thermostat so you can set the temperature to where you want it.
Old style slide only allows you to sort of get it in range. Setting it at "right about there" could mean the difference between 45 and cold or 55 and just needing the right blanket for a good nights sleep.
MtBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
As far as having an Oxygenics shower head (like we do).......

For those that have one, no words are necessary.
For those that don’t, no words can do it justice.

Just sayin’
That and ... most of the time it's 2-3 days at an electric only site. With my tank capacity at 45 gal. It allows setting lower flow volume and still having the pressure and convenience of not running out of water and having to add from the jerry cans before I pack it up

X2 on the T-stat
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
Site Team

The awning poles/tie-downs is so you can leave your awning out longer. We've encountered some rain storms where my BIL had to bring his awning in as it was flapping in the wind, but after helping him contain it to get his closed, we then stood under mine that was perfectly fine with the poles and tie downs in place. However, if the wind gets too strong, like blowing debris around kind of strong, you still need to take the awning in.

I let my set go with the old TT, and I haven't put them ones on the new fiver yet. DW doesn't want them, as the dogs would constantly get tangled in them. So now I'm back to the same procedure I had before I had poles, if a storm is coming, I need to basically break camp, putting all the chairs and tables and what-not away, putting the awning in, tucking all the firewood under the trailer, etc...
Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
That and ... most of the time it's 2-3 days at an electric only site. With my tank capacity at 45 gal. It allows setting lower flow volume and still having the pressure and convenience of not running out of water and having to add from the jerry cans before I pack it up

X2 on the T-stat
Aaaaaahhh! Now THAT makes sense to me! We mostly camp at provincial parks which are hydro only. So I may need to look into that mod. Thanks!

And the digital thermostat may mean I'm not doing the blankets on/blankets off thing all night long lol. Now if only hubby and I could agree on a temperature I guess I'll add that one to my list as well.
jacqui583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'm not much of a fan of digital thermostats. Far as I'm concerned a few degrees off one way no big deal I have 2 ACs . As for awning poles I use them and love em don't have to worry about rain or wind when I'm at the camper. Good investment as ya never know when you get one of those strange winds come out of no where. Yes I do watch the weather and If I leave for the day and weather is iffy I will put awning in. Takes about 60 sec to remove straps and roll awning up. Poles are permanently attached to awning and I will just leave them hanging when I put awning in. There is a travel mode for the set up might take 2 min to put up. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 44
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui583 View Post
Aaaaaahhh! Now THAT makes sense to me! We mostly camp at provincial parks which are hydro only. So I may need to look into that mod. Thanks!

And the digital thermostat may mean I'm not doing the blankets on/blankets off thing all night long lol. Now if only hubby and I could agree on a temperature I guess I'll add that one to my list as well.
I added the single lever faucet as well, because it allows me to get the temp and volume set quicker and the with the goofy faucets they use in the shower that have both handles turn the same way and it is counterintuitive to the way any other faucets in the world work.

jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer