Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebster View Post
I traded up to a fiver about 8 years ago. Never been sorry. Easier to handle all around. Just completed 11,600 mile caravan to Alaska with coachmen. No problem with Cedar Creek 34 sats or 2500 Silverado
Wife wants to go to Alaska. How is the trip?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #22

Wow... Great feedback, thank you everyone. I spent 5 hours today at the dealer and thought I had my mind made up with a Chappy 29 bunk house. But the DW was not sold on the tiny bunk room which after she pointed out I would agree. So....... Now back to square one LOL. Oh the madness..... And of everything we looked at today her favorite was a Open Range Light 32' bunk house TT. It was pretty awesome, but a 32' TT is not something that excites me with that much weight at 9000 lbs and length for a TT bumper pull.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #23

The scenery was beyond description. The roads were despicable. The western fires had a lot of very thick smoke. I do not think that we had a single road that was not torn up for construction
Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
I pretty much followed this same path, just came back from a trip, and use our coach every weekend from may to oct, and i will never go back to a TT.
Now some have said they have issue with the steps inside the 5er, well there is an problem with that, you will need to climb stairs to get into the TT, so you will not get rid of stairs, and i am on disability of back and bad arthritis all over not just the knees, so when it stops me i will not be rving any more. I love how it handles on the roads, it is easy to back into sites with the very tight turning, I use a gooseneck hitch, but the standard er hitch is the same very easy, not bars to fight with and other issues. (and with using a gooseneck style i still have a full bed when not in use.)
But you still need to make the choice but from what you have said with all the camping you do, i feel you should enjoy it more in a 5er than TT, but either way Happy Camping
There have been a number of posts about steps in a 5er. I have been ignoring them but have now heard enough.

About a year ago I had to have my left foot amputated. Due to problems I won't go into I have yet to get my prosthesis but hope to in the next month or so. It has yet to stop me from getting into my 5er or up to the bedroom it has! I know this doesn't sound like fun but it works. Turn your ass around ass sit! Go up backwards! Then scoot yourself till you get to a chair or the bed and lift yourself up to sit. From there you can stand up. I can't stand yet but you could easily.

Where there is a will there is a way. I decided nothing was going to keep me out of my 5er when I wanted to go in. We lost power a couple of months ago so I fired up a generator and spent a very comfortable evening and night in it.

If you really want to go there is a way to do it. Oh, and I am not a kid, I am 65 and retired. I am not bragging, just saying there are ways to do things.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcurtiss433 View Post
Wow... Great feedback, thank you everyone. I spent 5 hours today at the dealer and thought I had my mind made up with a Chappy 29 bunk house. But the DW was not sold on the tiny bunk room which after she pointed out I would agree. So....... Now back to square one LOL. Oh the madness..... And of everything we looked at today her favorite was a Open Range Light 32' bunk house TT. It was pretty awesome, but a 32' TT is not something that excites me with that much weight at 9000 lbs and length for a TT bumper pull.
The GVWR on my 32 foot 5er is only 8097 pounds. It is not a bunkhouse and they may be heavier but there are some light 5ers out there.

Do you really need a bunkhouse? If I put the table down and open up the sofa I can sleep 6 in my 5er.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5630.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	87402  
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #26

I have had a 32 ft TT and now a 32 ft Fiver. Hands down the TT was a PIA with sway and such. The Fiver is much easeir to use and tow.

If Budget and TV allow look at the Fifth Wheel.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #27

At Goshen we looked at a Salem bunk house. My wife loved it. Two full bathrooms mind you it is a little longer but very manageable with a 2500 truck. Might want to look at the floor plan it is a new floor layout. 356QB is the model.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM   #28

As others have mentioned the stairs can be a problem depending on your age. We traded a fifth wheel and diesel F250 for a motorhome when we began having problems. DH was having trouble sometimes with the hitch pin after his heart attack and my knees hated the stairs. We also had an old sick dog who had to be carried in and out. Our mh suits us perfectly now. Always a very personal decision. Good luck!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch42 View Post
At Goshen we looked at a Salem bunk house. My wife loved it. Two full bathrooms mind you it is a little longer but very manageable with a 2500 truck. Might want to look at the floor plan it is a new floor layout. 356QB is the model.

I have the 356QBQ. We bought it new a couple months ago and absolutely love it. The floor plan works great when you have kids and also enough room if they want to bring friends. With the couch and dinette it will sleep 10 but we went with that plan because I was sick and tired of folding down couches and tables and folding them back up in the morning. I have just scheduled an appointment to get a couple warrant issued fixed but nothing major except the damage I did to the roof with a tree limb. It pulls great and so far I am glad we made the investment.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB

Tags
5er, upgrade