Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #1

Possible Upgrade to a 5er

Just wanted to get some feedback. I currently own a 2015 Salem 26TBUD, it has been in the shop several times already with numerous issues. This is my 4th TT so I am well versed in them. I also understand that some minor issues are normal with new units and you need to get the bugs worked out. However this has had some major issues. So in expressing my concerns to the dealer when making another service dept they got the sales manager involved, they offered me a trade in for damn near what I paid for it 5 months ago because of the issues I have had. I have been a long time customer of this dealer and bought over 10 vehicles from their vehicle sales side so they treat me very well.

So after all of that long winded explanation LOL, my question is, I am able to get a great end of the season deal on a 5er and I am thinking about upgrading. For those of you that made the switch from a TT to a 5er are you glad you did it? How much different did it tow? Any feedback would be great as well. My thing is I like how the master bedroom is up front and provides more privacy along with a more open floor plans. I am looking at the Chaparral 29BHS. Thoughts and suggestions would be great and appreciated.
bcurtiss433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #2

I went from travel trailer to fifth wheel and I am glad I did, the fifth wheel pulls so much better. My travel trailer was 33ft long and 1,000lbs on the bumper, needless to say my 2500 Silverado would not stay in cruise. I went to a 3500 Silverado but I wish I had kept the 2500. With the TT big trucks would pull me over plus as long as the TT was if you got to 65mph the TT would fishtail some. Now I can run 80mph and no problem. I normally run a lot slower, about 60 to 63mph. I am glad I went to the fifth wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #3

I too went from a TT to a 5'er recently. The biggest plus for me was being able to jack it tighter while backing up. I never experienced and handling issues with my TT, but then again, I was pulling a 32' TT with a DRW 3500, I shouldn't have had any issues.

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
2012 Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

Like anything else weigh the pros and cons, if you pull and leave your trailer for a season or more on one spot, either type would work fine....but if you pull your trailer very much for me a 5 er is the only way to go....towing is much much better and the higher ceiling in a fifth wheel makes me feel much less confined.....as for high speed travel, you will never catch me going fast....in either type.....I drive 56-58 mph or less --- and travel between 9 30 am to 2 30 pm.....and most other trailer that pass me seems to do it 2 or 3 times in that travel period.....figure out that math....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

Possible Upgrade to a 5er

True, the taller ceiling does give a more open feeling. I pull on average three weekends per month and run over 10,000 miles per year. The hook up and disconnect is much quicker for me. The biggest advantage to my TT though was a lower clearance. Some of the places that I like to go are a bit tight and the height of my TT was a better fit.

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
2012 Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I owned several 5ers and really enjoyed them and they handled well. Getting older and stairs becoming a factor we traded for tt and love it. Also it is a little easier to wash and clean as not near as tall.

If stairs are not an issue I'd go for the 5er you will enjoy it. Lots of room and storage also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

Thank you for the feedback, I tow my camper on average 2 weekends a month during the camping season and we are usually pulling long distance. The one thing I did notice was the huge amounts of storage in a 5er both inside and out as compared to my TT.

Everyone I have talked to said that backing was much easier as well. I can back a TT easily for the most part, but it does get a little difficult backing into the narrow storage space.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

My Sierra TT was tall enough for me though out the camper, I'm 6ft 4in tall. The TT was not as high and I could get in more places with TT. I may have to trade back down my knees are giving me some trouble, well one. Maybe a little later I will find a used TT that's not to big so I can get in a few more places

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #9

That is true, clearance might be a concern when getting back into places for boondocking. I did not think of that.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #10

We traded our TT for a 5er 16 days ago. The honeymoon is going great. Highly recommended.
6.6 turbo diesel 6-speed Allison transmission
jman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Senior Senior Member

I too considered going with a fifth wheel this year but decided our TV wasn't rated high enough, did not want to spend the extra money, felt like the bedrooms in the smaller fivers were somewhat claustrophobic, did not want to learn a new backing routine, did not want to lose the valuable storage in our PU bed, really did not want to install a hitch in the bed of my PU, and have not had any issues towing our TT with the TV we have.

If we were snowbirds, or full timers, we would probably upgrade the TV and go with a fifth wheel. But we are still camping. A week here, a week there. Coupla months in Florida spent at several different locations.

We came very close to making the change but found pretty much what we wanted (full sized queen, large holding tanks, under 30' overall, shower-no tub, linen closet in bath, no U dinette, wardrobe in bedroom, etc.) with the new TT we got.

Good arguments can be made for either position. It's like.... gas/diesel, new/used, and so on.....

Anyway, good luck with your search, that in itself can be quite enjoyable.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Retired Army MSG!

We went from Pop Up to TT in 2011 and now we are on our 2nd 5vr since June of 2013. After pulling both tag along and gooseneck horse trailers half my life I should have known to buy a 5vr in the beginning. Hitching is much simpler plus no wind issues to deal with when the tractor trailers pass or on a windy day. You will not white knuckle as you drive pulling the 5vr.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
Site Team

With my 3 TTs, I got tired of carrying my heavy hitch head from my tractor shed and sticking it in the receiver of my truck. I got tired of cheating my equalizer bars into place when my last TT had a tongue weight of about 1K lbs. and then undoing it all at the camp site, redoing it to come home, and reversing the process back at the house. I set myself the goal of moving to a 5th wheel to avoid all that. I DID have to have the roof raised on my trailer shed and I DO have to pay more attention to low hanging tree limbs on the country road between my house and the highway AND the shed tops at gas stations, etc.

Regarding steps: I've found that most TTs also have steps although not inside. If something happens to keep us from being able to climb the 3 steps into our 5th wheel bedroom, we'll probably have to stop trailering since we wouldn't be able to get in a TT in the first place.

My 5th wheel is better behaved than my TTs when being passed (or met) by 18-wheelers, etc. I ain't goin' back!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #14

Go with the 5er for all the reasons listed above. We've gone from a pop-up to a tt to now a 5er. We'll probably get one more fifth wheel before all is said and done.
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
Aging Junior Member

7 years in a TT and we decided to go with a 5er last year. Should have done it 6 years ago. It made a huge difference to us. We liked the layout of our TT and we really love the layout of our 5er too, so that was pretty much a wash. The main benefit is the solid feel of the 5er on the road. It pulls so much better, no fish tailing or being blown by wind or big rigs passing. Smooth. The 5er is a little more responsive when backing. It is a little higher, almost 2 feet more than the TT, but we haven't missed any camp spots due to the height. Another benefit is the ease of hooking up / unhooking. Much easier than the TT. As others have pointed out, take your time and decide what works for you. Good travels.
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #16

The DW and I were talking about this subject this weekend and we both agree that after having the 5er we would not want to go back to a TT. Both the better towing as well as the room.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #17

I traded up to a fiver about 8 years ago. Never been sorry. Easier to handle all around. Just completed 11,600 mile caravan to Alaska with coachmen. No problem with Cedar Creek 34 sats or 2500 Silverado
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #18

We had a TT for 1 1/2 years and traded it for a fifth wheel and love it more storage and a dream to haul .
Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #19

I am on my second 5er and love it! have had a few tt's over the years but two years ago decided to try one. It was a 29 foot 05 in very good condition but 6 months ago was made an offer I couldn't walk away from so now own an 08 32 foot 5er. It has everything I want except a fireplace and I really don't need that.

I will probably buy one more, a newer unit but not brand new. That will be 3 or 4 years down the road and it might replace my house at that point.

Everything is easy to get to and it has more storage than I can use! That is something you will need to get use to. If you fill up all your storage areas you will easily go a ton over weight! Oh, as everyone has mentioned, it tows nicely! No sway or fishtailing when I get passed by a 18 wheeler.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #20

Which way do you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
We went from Pop Up to TT in 2011 and now we are on our 2nd 5vr since June of 2013. After pulling both tag along and gooseneck horse trailers half my life I should have known to buy a 5vr in the beginning. Hitching is much simpler plus no wind issues to deal with when the tractor trailers pass or on a windy day. You will not white knuckle as you drive pulling the 5vr.
I pretty much followed this same path, just came back from a trip, and use our coach every weekend from may to oct, and i will never go back to a TT.
Now some have said they have issue with the steps inside the 5er, well there is an problem with that, you will need to climb stairs to get into the TT, so you will not get rid of stairs, and i am on disability of back and bad arthritis all over not just the knees, so when it stops me i will not be rving any more. I love how it handles on the roads, it is easy to back into sites with the very tight turning, I use a gooseneck hitch, but the standard er hitch is the same very easy, not bars to fight with and other issues. (and with using a gooseneck style i still have a full bed when not in use.)
But you still need to make the choice but from what you have said with all the camping you do, i feel you should enjoy it more in a 5er than TT, but either way Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, upgrade