Old 07-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #21

Just switched from a 36ft bumper pull to a 43ft 5th and can't believe how much better they tow. Also don't forget about the pain of the WDH and sway bars once you pUll a 5vr you will never go back. I went from manual stabilizers to the 6 point auto level I could never go back now.

2012 Ram 3500 SRW
Ken91720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken91720 View Post
Just switched from a 36ft bumper pull to a 43ft 5th and can't believe how much better they tow. Also don't forget about the pain of the WDH and sway bars once you pUll a 5vr you will never go back. I went from manual stabilizers to the 6 point auto level I could never go back now.
Even bars for a 1000/10,000 get heavy in addition to being a pain. Only one reason I can see to have a TT instead of a 5er and that is cost.

My 5er is 35' and the 4 point auto level is sufficient. With the memory setting the pin height where it was when unhitching I simply retract about 2 seconds and back up until it closes. Add the lock, a quick pull test, and done. Some have said they can hitch as quickly and I want them to try, not going to happen. A back up camera will help them, I don't use one as I can see the hitch in my rear view mirror.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #23

Good advice from all of the above comments. We made the leap from a Travel Trailer to a 5th wheel late last year. It was a difficult decision for me because of the loss of all the secure storage volume we had with our truck's enclosed bed under the camper shell. My wife had her mind set on a specific Cardinal 5th wheel, so we made the leap. Towing the 5th wheel is far easier than it was with our TT......no effect from cross-winds when a semi-trailer pulls up from behind. Easier to hook up, but not that big a deal.

One of the big selling points with the Cardinal vs. all the other 5th wheels we considered - - - - - the kitchen slide-out floor lowers itself flush with the rest of the floor when deployed, eliminating the 2-1/2-inch high "toe buster" that all other 5th wheels have. My size 13 feet thank you, Cardinal.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #24

Jakie-boy, which Cardinal did you get?
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #25

We got the Cardinal Model 3250. Love the floor plan.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Good advice from all of the above comments. We made the leap from a Travel Trailer to a 5th wheel late last year. It was a difficult decision for me because of the loss of all the secure storage volume we had with our truck's enclosed bed under the camper shell. My wife had her mind set on a specific Cardinal 5th wheel, so we made the leap. Towing the 5th wheel is far easier than it was with our TT......no effect from cross-winds when a semi-trailer pulls up from behind. Easier to hook up, but not that big a deal.

One of the big selling points with the Cardinal vs. all the other 5th wheels we considered - - - - - the kitchen slide-out floor lowers itself flush with the rest of the floor when deployed, eliminating the 2-1/2-inch high "toe buster" that all other 5th wheels have. My size 13 feet thank you, Cardinal.
That is a shame, and ruins the fun experience of a new RV. I had much the same experience with Fun Town in Cleburne, TX. with getting anyone at the dealership service department to do anything. I finally wrote emails to the service department, my salesperson, the GM of that branch, and the CEO of the company explaining that I was posting all this on the forum and contacting BBB to report their lack of concern. FINALLY found the Asst. Service Manager that cared and he got all the work done in 1/2 day while I waited. They are the largest dealership in hundreds of miles with about 100 RVs in air conditioned showrooms, so it is nice to shop for RVs there. We are not sure if we would buy from them again, but we do go look and then shop everywhere else for prices. Good luck!

D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel