Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

Question Potential Flagstaff Purchaser Questions

My wife and I are in the process of selling our Bigfoot truck camper and planning on replacing it with a fifth wheel. At this moment in time a Flagstaff is sitting at the top of our list. While scouring the web I've found people happy with their camper and people not so happy with their camper. Those of you reading this hopefully fall into the second group and felt Forest River products were worth the investment. Do you have any advice you'd care to share with a potential buyer - extended warranties, options you would or would not get, tires (this seems to be quite a hot topic), and just any other "knowing what you know now" kind of thoughts? Thanks.
petersonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #2

We have a 2003 flagstaff 28ress. Have been happy with it. Dealer handled warrenty issues well. Tires were a problem. It had carlisle (sp) tires. Had 2 blowouts. I replaced with Goodyear Marathons. No trouble in 3 years. Luckily no trailer damage. You will want a 3/4 ton truck for a trailer this size. Good luck.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #3

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. We've found a dealer that we like and are considering the 28RKSS. Unfortunately they don't have one on their lot so all we have to go on are the quality that we see in other models and pictures on the web. One of the models on their lot had Carlisle tires and I asked the dealer about them. He said that there were some problems several years ago but that they've been pretty reliable lately. I found a lot of bad reviews on the web on the Marathons as well. I guess all I can hope is that the number of people who have not had any problems and haven't said so on the web outnumber those few that have voiced their problems. We have a 1999 3/4 ton Dodge (with only 36,000 miles on it) that's rated to pull 10K (8500 since we're allowing 15% for the Denver altitude) and were drawn to the Flagstaff because of the lower weight. Thanks again.
petersonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

We have a 2004 Flagstaff 26RKS model and have been very pleased with it thus far. We have not had any quality issues with it at all. Our only major problem was the A/C went bad but was replaced under warranty so no issue there.

This one has Carlisle tires on it but I have had no issues with them. I keep them properly inflated and check them before each trip.

Bottom line is to be sure you have a good dealer to back you up in any quality issue. That is your ace in the hole on any large purchase like a car or a trailer.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
My unit seems to be well built and to offer good value for the price. I have found that the edge banding on the kitchen counter is not well adhered, and many folks have concerns with the CD/Stereo supplied by Forest River. I'm not sure about the (85)28RKSS, but be aware that the sofa and dinette generally offer rather limited sleeping arrangements for adults. Also, you might want to think about ordering one without the carpeting. It sure makes them easier to keep clean. Having said all of that, I would buy another one if I wanted to stay at that price point instead of upgrading.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

You may not have noticed but the Rockwood line is the same trailer as Flagstaff only the interior colors, fabrics, and decals are different.

This gives you more dealers (thus, deals) to choose from if you're not too picky about exactly what the rig looks like.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #7

I love my unit and never had a problem other thaqn self inflicted until yesterday.

The Carlisle's got me

Good Luck on the decision

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #8

We have a 2006 Flagstaff 30' 5er model 8528BHSS and are very happy with it. Only had a couple of minor prtoblems with it but they were taken care of under warranty. We are lucky that the dealer that we bought from stands behind what they sell. I agree with the above post that you will need at least a 3/4 ton truck. The advertised dry pin weight on mine was 1050 pounds. After we get it loaded to go the pin is 1600 pounds which for most 1/2 tons is pushing the payload to the limit. I think that you will be pleased with the Flagstaff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	riverside2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	546  

Tags
5th wheel