Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

Pre-buy doubts

Hello. We have been considering a new 5ver for a while. Happy with our current one, but want something just a little larger. After reading all of the post about the quality of the new trailers and how many times you folks have to return for repairs, it makes me wonder if it's worth it. I am old school. I believe if you buy a new product, it should work like new. It shouldn't come with things that don't work, work incorrectly or are thrown together for the sake of the sale. It's not ok that there are so many issues with today's rv's. Where are all the post from folks that have gotten exactly what they hoped for with no issues, or is this just another case of " you only hear about the bad stuff because people don't write about the good stuff? ".
livetoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Think all the negative posts are a combination of real issues and the "only post when there are issues" syndrome. I think it is fair to say that the overall build quality is lower than 4-5 years ago. Many of the problems people are having are the result of poor or no PDI. If you choose to buy. Do a thorough PDI and do not take the unit unless it is exactly the way you want it. Make this a business decision and not an emotional decision.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
I Break Everything

How old is your currently trailer? I think it's rare for people that have nothing go wrong for sure. For us it's been like that since the beginning. Some of the repairs were due to "Me being Me" and some others we things covered. I fix everything I can. I think most of us are like that. My opinion, is all you can do is research, not just the brand but the dealer and service areas. We've always purchased new, nothing against used, it's me.

Good luck, and if it looks cheap, it is. don't be fooled by cheap outdoor kitchens or 10 flatscreen TVs, etc.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

We have owned 2 new FR fivers, a 2004 Sandpiper and a 2018 Cardinal. The Sandpiper had a hydraulic pump go out and I replaced it under warranty. We used that unit for 9 years never returning to a dealer for any work. We are now on our second trip with the Cardinal. I have one kitchen drawer that needs some TLC. Other than normal wear and tear, so far so good.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoride View Post
Hello. We have been considering a new 5ver for a while. Happy with our current one, but want something just a little larger. After reading all of the post about the quality of the new trailers and how many times you folks have to return for repairs, it makes me wonder if it's worth it. I am old school. I believe if you buy a new product, it should work like new. It shouldn't come with things that don't work, work incorrectly or are thrown together for the sake of the sale. It's not ok that there are so many issues with today's rv's. Where are all the post from folks that have gotten exactly what they hoped for with no issues, or is this just another case of " you only hear about the bad stuff because people don't write about the good stuff? ".
I would say we got what we expected, very minor issues... most of mine were OCD related. Table came loose from the wall while traveling down the road, pantry door alignment (same thing, twisting while going the road), pendant light became a pendant as named (Swinging while traveling down the road), one light stopped working due to a lose connection. Only major issue was AC failed, we bought the 7 year coverage so that wasn't to big of a deal to handle... so all in all nothing really major has happened to us. As stated people write about the bad and rarely the good.

Do your research on the model you plan to get and you should be fine.

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

I have an "entry level"/"tin and stick" RV according to some. I purchased from RV Wholesalers which I think is the difference in most of the pre-delivery problems. The dealer can make or break an RV's initial purchase.

I ordered the one I have and picked what I wanted.... so I got what I hoped for.

I have had it 2 years and only had a few issues.
1) Suburban WH quit(common board problem) Suburban sent new board
2) Plastic piece on slide leaving mark on floor($2 rug from Wal-Mart to float on)
3)10-12" pc of trim(crapily stapled on) got kicked off by kids..on counter to replace one day

That's my list of problems. The things I might not like are my fault. I know better now.

I have only ever read good things about the Palomino line. They say "entry level" and that's the only negative comment I hear. I also think the more stuff you have...the more problems you WILL have.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

I’ve been generally very happy with mine. I agree that a quality dealer and a thorough PDI make a difference. My dealer took three weeks to prep mine, and repair issues they found during that time. We also camped on their lot for a few days as a shakedown, where they fixed a few issues we found. Only major issue I have had is an air conditioner failure, which was replaced under warranty. It goes back to the dealer next week for a recall repair, and some minor issues I want fixed under warranty. I will say we shopped as hard for a dealer we were comfortable with as we did for the rv we wanted.
cstrunk5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #8

On my second 5'er, the first being a Dutchmen Voltage and now my Riverstone Legacy. Both units have had minor issues, most of which I could have fixed myself, but overall have been very good to me (knock on wood), considering we winter in them 5 months at a crack. Like previously posted, most people only write complaints and not when they are satisfied. If you want it, and can afford it, go for it. Life is short.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
"On the road again"

We first had a Sandpiper back in 2005 - then a Columbus in 2012 and in 2017 we changed to our current fifth wheel, a Cardinal 3456. We have been extremely happy with all three Forest River products and had minimal issues.

Our Sandpiper never had to go back in for service.

The Columbus had the normal checklist of loose this or squeaking that and it was fixed in one trip back to the service department. Later it had some plumbing issues that were covered by our extended warranty and the blower (squirrel cage) in the heater disintegrated (it was plastic...replaced by aluminum one and paid for by extended warranty).

Then we upgraded to our current Cardinal - which we totally love.

We had to take it back for a couple of normal adjustments (one trip back) and we've had it 18 months now, have over 8,000 miles on it and almost 250 nights in it.

I did have to replace the D-seal on one of the slide-outs (but Forest River sent me the replacement part for free) and the coaxial wire on our roof-mount TV antenna ($10 replacement part from King Jack). Otherwise, it has been flawless.

As others have stated...rarely do people voluntarily "brag" on the quality of a product, but it's human nature to complain loudly and repeatedly if there is a problem.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #10

I have had more problems in the first year or two than anyone alive.

If I had to do it over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat! Greatest thing I ever did! I absolutely knew that someone, somewhere could fix everything that was broken. When I found the guy that could, he fixed it, and it's now maybe the best unit on earth. We love it.

What will happen is............stuff WILL break......and you WILL figure out how to fix it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #11

Our Cedar Creek Hathaway was purchased in March. We have spent 8 weeks in it this year.

Dealer, Jeff Couch rv did a thorough PDI.

All issues have been minor. Extremely.

This week we hit a major pothole at 65 mph. A large piece of trim fell off. Two mounting studs on the “rv” Jensen tv broke. Two minimal designs! I can fix them for dollars.

These things see extreme wind, rain and earthquakes often on the road.

You got to be handy. A to do list is standard.

In our shopping we found extremes in quality between brands with cost being a factor. Our unit has better quality everything. Cost more.

We really like our Hathaway.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #12

we have had 3, a 38' Salem 5er, a Jayco 195rb and a flagstaff 21fbrs and honestly i can count on one hand the issues we have had with all 3, none major. you have to take care of these just like you do a car or truck, and for the most part if you take care of them they will take care of you.
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #13

Our 2017 has never been back to the dealer for repairs, our 2013 when back once (cosmetic warranty work), our 2006 never went back to the dealer for a repair.........

We are out here with few issues but, you usually only hear about complaints.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #14

I bought mine in 2010 and it has never been back. only had 1 item the auto switchover regulator go bad and I took the regulator back to the dealer not the trailer. it was replaced under warranty other problems were minor as I repaired them myself. some were caused by OCD as someone has mentioned. otherwise has been very good unit.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoride View Post
I am sure there are issues of one kind or another that will pop up now and then. We currently have a 2017 Cardinal that has never been back to the dealer for repair. We are full timing and have put just over 7 thousand miles on it. I have fixed minor issues such as mis-aligned drawer guides and some loose trim. We do have a problem that just showed it's self. The rear lower left side vent window is fogged. I will be having that checked out. Other then that we are very happy.
dtrussell is offline   Reply With Quote