Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #21

I’m doing mine a little bit different because we have had electrical issues with the CC which FR will not cover. Long story short is we had a bad power cord that had an open neutral. (My electrician found it, dealer confirmed it, FR said it didn’t exist). This will be my last FR product.

We are doing soup to nuts, we bought the HW50C from Amazon, new Furrion plug and about 15’ of 6/3 cord from an electric supply house.

We disconnected the plug on the side of the trailer then went inside and pulled the electric panel off and took several pictures then disconnected the 4 wires and pulled the cord. I did find a bad spot on the wire where a metal clip nearest to the plug had chaffed into the wiring.

One of the benefits of doing this is I know how it’s all been done and it’s to my standard. Another is I was able to wire in the EMS on a bench in my shop and not in the basement, 6ga wire doesn’t like to bend.

We have found a spot in the basement to mount the EMS and will run the cord to the panel and to the new plug hopefully this afternoon (it’s been raining here for almost a week). We installed the remote display in next to black switch panel. (You wouldn't believe the trash behind the panel.) The Furrion plug is shaped a little bit different from the Marinco so I have the notch the hole about a ¼ “.

I’ll update as soon as we get enough sunshine to finish the install. (I hate waiting)
Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I’m doing mine a little bit different because we have had electrical issues with the CC which FR will not cover. Long story short is we had a bad power cord that had an open neutral. (My electrician found it, dealer confirmed it, FR said it didn’t exist). This will be my last FR product.

We are doing soup to nuts, we bought the HW50C from Amazon, new Furrion plug and about 15’ of 6/3 cord from an electric supply house.

We disconnected the plug on the side of the trailer then went inside and pulled the electric panel off and took several pictures then disconnected the 4 wires and pulled the cord. I did find a bad spot on the wire where a metal clip nearest to the plug had chaffed into the wiring.

One of the benefits of doing this is I know how it’s all been done and it’s to my standard. Another is I was able to wire in the EMS on a bench in my shop and not in the basement, 6ga wire doesn’t like to bend.

We have found a spot in the basement to mount the EMS and will run the cord to the panel and to the new plug hopefully this afternoon (it’s been raining here for almost a week). We installed the remote display in next to black switch panel. (You wouldn't believe the trash behind the panel.) The Furrion plug is shaped a little bit different from the Marinco so I have the notch the hole about a ¼ “.

I’ll update as soon as we get enough sunshine to finish the install. (I hate waiting)
Looking forward to the pics and your comments.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #23
AlR

Ok guys. I have a question (cuz I'm no electrical genius). I have a Honda 2000EU generator that I chain to a tree and plug into the 30 amp receptacle on the side of the trailer when dry camping. I've just ordered a Progressive Ind HW30C. I've read afew posts about wiring the EMS in before or after a transfer switch. Is that to avoid running the generator power through the EMS? I have no transfer switch in my trailer... Is there something to be concerned about here? Thanx
AlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The EMS is usually put in before an onboard generator transfer switch because the electrical problems usually occur at the pedestal. This will protect your transfer switch. In your situation you have no worries about running through the EMS. you will probably need a ground loop plug on your generator in order for EMS to deliver power to the camper. Easy to make yourself. Google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The EMS is usually put in before an onboard generator transfer switch because the electrical problems usually occur at the pedestal. This will protect your transfer switch. In your situation you have no worries about running through the EMS. you will probably need a ground loop plug on your generator in order for EMS to deliver power to the camper. Easy to make yourself. Google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
X2. No concern needed. Did it for years with our previous MH.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #26

Why is the hard wire better than the non hard wire version?

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Its not necessarily better, but it is protected from possible theft. Its out of the weather, yes the portable is weather proof but you still need to go outside to check for errors, or just check voltages. However the portable goes easily to your next RV. Which is a good reason to get the 50 amp unit either way. Super simple install which could be a big issue with hard wired. 50 amp unit will protect all the down to 15 amp service with no problems.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post
It's not actually better but it does protect more because of where it is at in the line. The portable unit protects from the pedestal, if you have an issue after that (we did) you are not protected.

We had a TRC surge guard at the pedestal, our issue was an Open Neutral in the cord.

It took out our converter, inverter, sat dish and vacuum.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Which is why I put mine just before the distribution panel

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #30

The install

You need to be a bit of a contortionist to get in and around the basement and 6/3 cable does not like to bend so man handling it was needed. There was nothing that took a great deal of technical knowledge just a very good attention to detail and directions.

We removed the outside plug and metal clamp (which had chaffed the old wire) that held the wire in place. Then went in the trailer and pulled the panel.

Note the Black, Red and large White wire there is also a unshielded copper wire behind the white wire.

The Progressive EMS that we wired on a bench in the shop. I bought 15' of cable and the original one was about 10' so we just made sure we had a few feet to much at each end so we could cut to fit. We ran the cable from the basement into the trailer just like the old one ran and out the side of the trailer.

The EMS mounted behind the basement wall, the fuse panel is a few feet in front of it and the outside plug is to the right several feet.

Sorry but I forgot to take some pics of the monitor that we mounted in the cabinet to the left of the control panel. We removed the panel and fished the cord down the wall into the basement then plugged it into the EMS.

When we took the Marinco plug off the trailer it looked to me like it was pretty cheap and flimsy so we went to CW and bought a Furrion plug that looks much more stout. Both plugs were color coded the same so it was just a matter of cutting and then stripping the cable to length the tightening the wires in.

We turned all the breakers off in the trailer and then plugged in the trailer. My wife went into the shop and turned on the 50A breaker, no weird noises, no smoke in the basement nothing really (that's a good thing).
I went into the trailer and looked at the monitor it was cycling through with no errors and good voltage. I then turned all the breakers on in the trailer and all was good.

In closing a couple of comments; first this wasn't a complicated job but at the same time since it's electricity you have to pay attention but for a guy who's overweight and almost 60 it surely wasn't easy.

Secondly it's pretty obvious these trailers are put together at speed, I would bet a large sum of money the folks are paid based on how many units go out the door and not the craftsmanship or quality they produce.

A good number of the screw holes were stripped when we took them out, the amount of trash and the unbelievable amount of sawdust in the walls blew our mind, but I do agree it's indicative of the industry.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #31

Did you fasten the box to the floor?
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

For all of those following and maybe catching this in the middle, the best way to install a hard wired EMS is to use "6/4 appliance cord" You can find this at any Home Depot or Lowes and is basically the same as your power cord, with just a thinner outer covering. This cord is easy to maneuver and makes the installation a snap!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Did you fasten the box to the floor?

Yes, if you look closely you can see the silver screws holding the EMS down.