Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

Propane and a quick connect

On my '14 Chaparral 29BHS I don't have a quick connect for propane so I'm looking to add one. Also the "BBQ" in the outdoor kitchen only runs off the little 1 lb bottles. I'm looking to hard plumb a line to it. Here's the thing. Is there a way to add the line for the BBQ and maybe even the QC before the regulator so that I can use the regulators that are already on the BBQ and my other BBQ I already own? I don't have any hard lines running under the trailer only rubber hose going back to what looks like a box then it goes from there to the kitchen, back to the HW heater. Any help is much appreciated
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Bump
Old 10-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Seems to me that you have these choices:
1) - Modify the outdoor appliances to run on low pressure; i.e., without their native regulator
2) - Modify the coach to run a line straight from the tanks
3) - Get a longer external hose and run straight from the tanks
4) - get a 3 lb. tank - dedicated to external appliances
5) - continue to run with 1 lb. tanks

Note that you may have pressure/flow problems at the end of a long line.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

I had a similar issue on my Berkshire 34QS.
So here's my setup:
My 100 lbs onboard propane tank is just behind my front wheel on the driver's side of the coach. It has a double regulator to drop the pressure down to what I understand to be "low pressure", and then it's hard plumbed back to the furnace, the kitchen and the hot water heater.
There is also a propane quick connect in the cargo bay on the passenger side that comes off this "low pressure" system (a spur off the kitchen feed, which sits above that cargo bay).
The problem is that most good portable grills use the 1 lbs or 20 lbs propane bottle/tank, and then have a double regulator to take it down to "low pressure" (the onboard tank and the portable bottle/tank are what I understand to be "high pressure"). Same with the portable fire pits I've seen. Thus, they would not work with the low pressure system. I tried modifying the grill by removing one of the regulators on the grill, but the second regulator was built into the grill thermostat, so it just wouldn't produce the heat required.
I used the following extend-a-flo system (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to bring the high pressure system over to the passenger side of the coach, but I did not hard plumb anything in. I also have a "T" so I can run both my new grill and my fire pit (or any other high pressure appliance) off my on board tank. The nice advantage of this system is it has an "extend-a-stay" function as well, which allows you to attach a 20 lbs tank to run the entire system in the event your on board tank runs out, thus avoiding the need to pack up the coach just to refill the propane tank.
The installation was simple: just detach your regulators from your on board tank, insert the extend a flo between the tank and the regulators and you're good to go (remember, use gas pipe tape and note that there's a left hand thread in the process).
Not exactly what you were looking for, but this set up worked for me.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Everything is doable, the standard quick connect for rv bbq's is AFAIK 1/4" and on low pressure. However, the 1# bottles you're referring to on your outdoor kitchen grill are full tank pressure, that grill needs to have the regulator removed to work on low pressure if you want to plumb it into the main line of the trailer. Unless you are knowledgeable around propane hire an expert to do the modifications.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will mull it over what I want to do. I'm trying to get rid of using external bottles and want everything near the outdoor kitchen. If i T off before the regulator on the trailer what size pipe should i use to run it to the back
Old 10-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey772 View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will mull it over what I want to do. I'm trying to get rid of using external bottles and want everything near the outdoor kitchen. If i T off before the regulator on the trailer what size pipe should i use to run it to the back
Don't run high pressure to the bbq, install the T after the regulator with the proper shutoff valve and remove the regulator from the bbq. However, if the outdoor kitchen is in a slide out it is more difficult to properly route the hose.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Don't run high pressure to the bbq, install the T after the regulator with the proper shutoff valve and remove the regulator from the bbq. However, if the outdoor kitchen is in a slide out it is more difficult to properly route the hose.
Can i ask why not run HP to the back? Wouldn't it then give me the correct pressure at the end because of the longer run?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I don't know the actual DOT code but I'm betting hard plumbing HIGH PRESSURE LP LINES is a HUGE no-no.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

What 5picker said!
In theory the size of hose depends on the btu of the appliance and the length and friction loss of the hose but 3/8" hose and fittings are readily available and IMO plenty big enough for what you're planning to do.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't know the actual DOT code but I'm betting hard plumbing HIGH PRESSURE LP LINES is a HUGE no-no.
Never heard of this. Would be interesting to know if its true
Old 10-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Never heard of this. Would be interesting to know if its true
I can tell you in my case of a 5th wheel, it isn't legal to even run a high pressure line from one bottle on the left side of the rig to the bottle/regulator on the right side. It has to be reduced pressure and that is a DOT regulation.

Running permanent HIGH PRESSURE lines across the bottom of a R/V would be dangerous in my opinion.

Can't do it in your home. Why would you want to consider that in a mobile application is beyond me.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #13

I like using the 3 lb tank. That way I can use my BBQ at a picnic table or over at a group function with others.
hilfikerkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:
I would NEVER run a high pressure gas line under your camper. WAY too much possibility for a major disaster.

You can probably tap into the low pressure system and add one or two outlets with propane Quick Connects. Then all you need is to attach a propane flex hose to your propane appliances after removing their original regulators (back to back propane regulators do not play well with one another).

See Post #46 on this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1919887
Old 10-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #15

Propane connection

Look up www.propanegear.com. Your answers are there. They have everything for Rv grill connections. Hope this helps.
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane