Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #1

Purchase advice needed. Local vs internet

Let me start by saying I've done a years worth of research, know what I want, and I'm ready to buy. I can purchase from a dealer 4 hrs away (none local) or I can purchase from RVW. I'm impressed by both. And both have there pros and cons.

After a week of negotiating there is a $3500 difference. Driving to RVW would be 17 hours, gas, food, etc so call it $3k

I really like the savings but I also like having a dealer "close by". How much service after the sale so I need? What would you do?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Buy local and try to scrape a few more dollars from dealer. Or throw in some store credit, something. The drive and aggravation plus dealer svc in the future is not worth saving 500 bucks to me.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

for us, it was a savings of over $4000, even after trip costs.

if the difference, after trip costs to both dealers and back, is only $500, i'd go with the local dealer, IF they have a decent reputation.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
WFD

We have done this twice now...boughtt from a dealer far from home...first time savings was huge...$9000 plus after expenses, second time was considerably less but we still did it....now if you have confidence in your figures and you feel that after expenses you are only saving $500, I wouldn't do it. I would establish a rapport with the dealer closest to me, because nobody knows how much or if any at all, after sales service you may require...not worth it for $500, unless of course you want to make a trip out of it at the same time. Now you did mention 400 miles...that's not exactly a local dealer either, so not sure how quickly you would go running there anyhow.
In the end, we can all say all we want, but you have to do what you are comfortable with and go with your gut feel. Good Luck with your decision.

Rick
Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Dont want to sound stupid but what is RVW? I agree with others, I just bought a 2014 Sunseeker and the dealer is an hour away but totally worth it. There will be many things you will need them for in the future. RV's are complicated and things go wrong every year. We have many RV dealers in the area and the service departments are vastly different. The one I bought the coach from only does coach work no chasis work. This means anything like brakes, oil changes, tires, etc.. they do not do. I have to take it to different dealer for this type of work. The dealer that does only coach work is much better at fixing coach stuff as opposed to the dealer that does both.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
Dont want to sound stupid but what is RVW? I agree with others, I just bought a 2014 Sunseeker and the dealer is an hour away but totally worth it. There will be many things you will need them for in the future. RV's are complicated and things go wrong every year. We have many RV dealers in the area and the service departments are vastly different. The one I bought the coach from only does coach work no chasis work. This means anything like brakes, oil changes, tires, etc.. they do not do. I have to take it to different dealer for this type of work. The dealer that does only coach work is much better at fixing coach stuff as opposed to the dealer that does both.
Hope this helps.

Rvw is Rv wholesalers
Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

although I've had issues with service from my dealer, and seems like most people do, they are 5 miles from my house so I buy from them just to keep a relationship going. Don't even want to think how bad the service would be if I brought one in there from another dealer
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_trainer View Post
Let me start by saying I've done a years worth of research, know what I want, and I'm ready to buy. I can purchase from a dealer 4 hrs away (none local) or I can purchase from RVW. I'm impressed by both. And both have there pros and cons.

After a week of negotiating there is a $3500 difference. Driving to RVW would be 17 hours, gas, food, etc so call it $3k

I really like the savings but I also like having a dealer "close by". How much service after the sale so I need? What would you do?
Why do you guys say he is only saving $500.00 when I read this it says he will save $3500.00 but it will cost him about $500.00 because of the distance.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

What if you buy it from a local dealer...then find out like I did, that they have terrible service?..It does happen...My next time I'm going only for the best price. Most things can be fixed in my driveway by either me or a local independent service provider. All you need to do is contact the manufacturer ahead of time for an authorization. Generic items like fridge, A/C, stove, water heater and furnace can be serviced under warranty by anyone that works on them. Doesn't have to go to a dealer for that.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
What if you buy it from a local dealer...then find out like I did, that they have terrible service?..It does happen...My next time I'm going only for the best price. Most things can be fixed in my driveway by either me or a local independent service provider. All you need to do is contact the manufacturer ahead of time for an authorization. Generic items like fridge, A/C, stove, water heater and furnace can be serviced under warranty by anyone that works on them. Doesn't have to go to a dealer for that.

And a $3000 (not $500) savings is a lot of money.