Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Purchase advice needed. Local vs internet

Let me start by saying I've done a years worth of research, know what I want, and I'm ready to buy. I can purchase from a dealer 4 hrs away (none local) or I can purchase from RVW. I'm impressed by both. And both have there pros and cons.

After a week of negotiating there is a $3500 difference. Driving to RVW would be 17 hours, gas, food, etc so call it $3k

I really like the savings but I also like having a dealer "close by". How much service after the sale so I need? What would you do?
nole_trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #2

Buy local and try to scrape a few more dollars from dealer. Or throw in some store credit, something. The drive and aggravation plus dealer svc in the future is not worth saving 500 bucks to me.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Team

for us, it was a savings of over $4000, even after trip costs.

if the difference, after trip costs to both dealers and back, is only $500, i'd go with the local dealer, IF they have a decent reputation.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
WFD

We have done this twice now...boughtt from a dealer far from home...first time savings was huge...$9000 plus after expenses, second time was considerably less but we still did it....now if you have confidence in your figures and you feel that after expenses you are only saving $500, I wouldn't do it. I would establish a rapport with the dealer closest to me, because nobody knows how much or if any at all, after sales service you may require...not worth it for $500, unless of course you want to make a trip out of it at the same time. Now you did mention 400 miles...that's not exactly a local dealer either, so not sure how quickly you would go running there anyhow.
In the end, we can all say all we want, but you have to do what you are comfortable with and go with your gut feel. Good Luck with your decision.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

Dont want to sound stupid but what is RVW? I agree with others, I just bought a 2014 Sunseeker and the dealer is an hour away but totally worth it. There will be many things you will need them for in the future. RV's are complicated and things go wrong every year. We have many RV dealers in the area and the service departments are vastly different. The one I bought the coach from only does coach work no chasis work. This means anything like brakes, oil changes, tires, etc.. they do not do. I have to take it to different dealer for this type of work. The dealer that does only coach work is much better at fixing coach stuff as opposed to the dealer that does both.
Hope this helps.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
Dont want to sound stupid but what is RVW? I agree with others, I just bought a 2014 Sunseeker and the dealer is an hour away but totally worth it. There will be many things you will need them for in the future. RV's are complicated and things go wrong every year. We have many RV dealers in the area and the service departments are vastly different. The one I bought the coach from only does coach work no chasis work. This means anything like brakes, oil changes, tires, etc.. they do not do. I have to take it to different dealer for this type of work. The dealer that does only coach work is much better at fixing coach stuff as opposed to the dealer that does both.
Hope this helps.

Rvw is Rv wholesalers
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

although I've had issues with service from my dealer, and seems like most people do, they are 5 miles from my house so I buy from them just to keep a relationship going. Don't even want to think how bad the service would be if I brought one in there from another dealer
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_trainer View Post
Let me start by saying I've done a years worth of research, know what I want, and I'm ready to buy. I can purchase from a dealer 4 hrs away (none local) or I can purchase from RVW. I'm impressed by both. And both have there pros and cons.

After a week of negotiating there is a $3500 difference. Driving to RVW would be 17 hours, gas, food, etc so call it $3k

I really like the savings but I also like having a dealer "close by". How much service after the sale so I need? What would you do?
Why do you guys say he is only saving $500.00 when I read this it says he will save $3500.00 but it will cost him about $500.00 because of the distance.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

What if you buy it from a local dealer...then find out like I did, that they have terrible service?..It does happen...My next time I'm going only for the best price. Most things can be fixed in my driveway by either me or a local independent service provider. All you need to do is contact the manufacturer ahead of time for an authorization. Generic items like fridge, A/C, stove, water heater and furnace can be serviced under warranty by anyone that works on them. Doesn't have to go to a dealer for that.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
What if you buy it from a local dealer...then find out like I did, that they have terrible service?..It does happen...My next time I'm going only for the best price. Most things can be fixed in my driveway by either me or a local independent service provider. All you need to do is contact the manufacturer ahead of time for an authorization. Generic items like fridge, A/C, stove, water heater and furnace can be serviced under warranty by anyone that works on them. Doesn't have to go to a dealer for that.

And a $3000 (not $500) savings is a lot of money.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
WFD

Sorry folks....went back and read OP again....misunderstood first post in being they were just saving $500...but indeed see now that its $3000!!! Thats a horse of a different color nole_trainer!!
Seems to me, the big thing is that your "local" dealer is 4hrs away...thats not local in my books...and if you need some minor stuff you wont tow your trailer 4 hrs one way for that. You will just learn to do it yourself, or find a local rv tech who can get it done. $3000 is not pocket change...you can do alot of minor fixing before you spend that, and RVW contracts out with local RV repair facilities anyhow...its not like you wont have warranty if you buy from them.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #12

Yeah I misread it as being only $500. Sorry
Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #13

How much would you save if RVW delivered it?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #14

Just traveled 1100 miles round trip to pick up our 2015 Silverback 33rl. 2nd fifth wheel and third rv in 5 years. Others were Keystone. Never any service issues. As previously mentioned, independents were approved and I found a major RV dealership within 5 miles from home that gladly accepted my warranty and serviced us well . We bought out of state because we saw what we wanted at a show, but unit was sold. Ordered a build after hearing trade price. Life is short. Buy what you want and sweat the small stuff later!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #15

Same as the wife and I.We looked local at a show in early Jan.Went to a show in Tulsa Ok.later part of Jan.Saved 7800.00 from local price.200 mile drive was a no brainer.I'll do the small stuff if there's any thing and will pull back to Tulsa for the big stuff if it occurs.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
How much would you save if RVW delivered it?
RVW wants $1700 for delivery. So then the difference would be about $2000.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #17

Thanks so much. I think the trip is worth it. I've been on the phone with RVW for a year, with the same sales person. I even had a chance to visit them a few months ago. They seem legit, bare bones dealer. I guess that's how they keep their prices so low.

The other dealer, Lazydays in Tampa (4 hour drive) seems top notch, first class, camping facilities, driving/towing courses, etc. They would offer a lot of services after the sale. But I agree with most of the comments here, in the 2 years we had our HTT we only needed to see a dealer once for a small minor part that I picked up myself.

I now live in an area with only one dealer (camping world) and they do not even carry the Wildcat brand. But they carry other Forrest River products, so pretty sure they would do any warranty work if needed. So really the "local" option is not even an option. It's the choice between a 4 hr drive or a 14 hr drive to save $3500-expenses, or $2000 to have it delivered by RVW.

In the end, I've made up my mind, by the wife is not looking forward to a "mini vacation"
Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

My next trailer will be an RVW Wildcat.

I bought local (^%$^ dealer not to be named since I hate them so much) as they came very close to RVW's price last time (2,000 more) but I felt supporting a local dealer would be worth it.

BOY WAS I WRONG. Back shop was a total rip off and they made up any shortfall in their normal 50% commission by hosing me for "repairs" "needed; but not covered under warranty."

Lesson learned. If you can use a screwdriver without drawing blood "often", there is almost nothing you can't do by yourself.

Did I mention I would be driving to RVW for my next one?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #19

Agreed. Placing order today or tomorrow with RVW. And then a long drive in July August
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

I think I did it all wrong, we found the trailer we wanted 8 miles from home called the dealer we bought 2 units from and he said we have one, then we drove 60 miles and bought on the spot.. maybe I should of looked around for the best price, seems like everyone is doing it..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote