Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

quality control was not there!!!!!

We just took possession of our new 2011 Rockwood mini lite model 1809s last week and took it for a camping trip. This trailer pull perfectly behind our 2009 uplander. After looking at the trailer on the assembly quality I found that the worst area is on the cabinetry. Several flat mouldings are missing to cover the tons of staples that were used to put them together. under the overhead cabinets there are none and I could not see any around the night table. and the bathroom near the toilet. For the ones that were installed the job was not done properly leaving still too many bad installed staples. Look at my pictures. The installer hit another staples under the one that he was nailing leaving a big hole that he filled the best he could with putty and this was at the entrance of the trailer. My dealer gave me a moulding that he had in stock and ordered a bunch of moulding that I will replaced all or almost the whole lot. Have a look at the one I replace on the night table. Another area where there is a problem is with those nice drawers on glider. Many are rubbing on the locking latches and it makes the grinding when you open and close them. The solution was to adjust the gliders rails higher and they were perfect after. The rest of the trailer is well done specially the outside. The only problem was with the front light that light the propane tanks. It was seized in silicone and was not checked at the factory. We kike our trailer a lot and after I take care of these cabinets I will be able to say ( my trailer is perfect )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05977.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	3614   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05978.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	3615   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05982.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	3616  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

It's a pretty common problem and no exclusive to FR. All of the Cherry wood in our GT had the staple holes filled with a wood dough closer to pink than cherry. I dug it all out with a jeweler's screwdriver and bought the Minwax Cherry Crayon. It matches perfectly. We have the staples and puddy in the bathrooms as well. FR sent me a roll of the seam tape that matches our wall coverings. The area near the dinette had bare wood showing where the tape was cut about 1/2" short. One area in our rear bath they cut off the wood next to each mirror. When seated on the toilet you can see raw pine lumber, I ended up staining it myself. As long as it's something I can fix, no problem, but it was nice to know that FR would send me something I wouldn't be able to get at Home Depot. Enjoy your RV and nice job fixing the cabinets.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My 2106 must've been built on a Weds'. No appearance issue like those.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

Our 2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8315BSS has the best fit and finish of any travel trailer I've ever been in. I went over it with a fine tooth comb when I went to pick it up back last January and I've yet to find a place that needed any attention. I'm amazed also at the caulking inside and out especially inside how they put that fine bead of caulk around everything with no smears or thick areas. It appears to be one continuous small bead of caulk and it matches perfectly. A lot better than my stick house I'll have to say that. I was a little concerned when I ordered the trailer because it was on the assembly line during Christmas week when workers are known to be thinking of other things but it didn't seem to matter 'cause like I said it's perfect.

It's also worked perfectly mechanically and electrically since we plugged it up the first time. I've been staying in it pretty much full time this year while I'm working out of state and we've yet to experience the first problem with it on anything other than 2 light bulbs that have gone bad.

I don't know if that's just a fluke or what but if I ever buy another travel trailer it'll be a Rockwood.
Happytrails2U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #5

Capucine, emptypockets here again did you ever find out where your trailer was made? The reason I ask we our was very good in the finish department. The only thing we had trouble with was the drawers wouldn't stay shut when going down the road & I realigned on cabinet door.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote