Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #21

During my discussions with my FR dealer about my POC Wildcat I determined CCs are built in a different factory, so perhaps they are a better product. They sure look nice.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #22

5 wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixologist View Post
I am looking for a full time RV and so far I like Georgetown XL 378 (gas) and older models of the Charlestons (diesel) but on a whim I decided to look at 5th wheels and all I can say is wow. I definitely like Forest River so I just looked at a couple Ceder Creeks, 38CK and 38FB2.

I love these 5rs but I cannot look through everyone. Sticking with 38 foot, give or take a foot or two, my questions are what do you like about your 5r model and what amenities do you like or wish you had or could do without.

I know these questions may be too general but just looking for ideas that may peak my interest. Thanks in advance.
Hpuck99 were, please take the time to look at the Columbus By Palamino. It to is a Forest River product . We are going to winter in it this year
Hpuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #23

Good info about a vehicle to haul the 5r. While I have yet to see the any Palamino products the Ceder Creek 38CK was fantastic. But I am going into this with an open mind.
mixologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
During my discussions with my FR dealer about my POC Wildcat I determined CCs are built in a different factory, so perhaps they are a better product. They sure look nice.
All of the brands (except sister brands- e.g. Sierra/Sandpiper) are made in their own factories.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #25

Quote:
I am looking for a full time RV and so far I like Georgetown XL 378 (gas) and older models of the Charlestons (diesel) but on a whim I decided to look at 5th wheels and all I can say is wow. I definitely like Forest River so I just looked at a couple Ceder Creeks, 38CK and 38FB2.

I love these 5rs but I cannot look through everyone. Sticking with 38 foot, give or take a foot or two, my questions are what do you like about your 5r model and what amenities do you like or wish you had or could do without.

I know these questions may be too general but just looking for ideas that may peak my interest. Thanks in advance.
How many people? It is just the dog, 70 pound lab, and I and I love my 32 foot Rockwood. Bought it used for around 16,000. Only thing I would change is the dinette. I would rather a table that seats 4. Only has one slide, don't need the bedroom one. I don't live in it full time but could if I wanted to! It has a lot of storage room and an air bed that is very comfortable. I may change the one swivel rocker to a recliner only because I had to have my left foot amputated. Not sure yet though, I use an automen and it works pretty well. The chairs are very comfortable. Mine has a rear kitchen which I prefer. I like having he living area as you come in the door and having the weight of the kitchen in the rear. I think it helps balance the trailer better also.

Do look around! There are a ton of options including an electric fire place. Of course the more you want the more expensive they get. There is no doubt though, you can live in them! Can even get them with a bunk room for kids if you need the beds. As for all the extra options, I think they can cost you more than the basic trailer! Sense you are going to make it permanent that will save you a lot. You can easily double or triple your expenses if you need a truck to pull a 5er with! A new F250 Ford crew cab would easily run you $55,000 to $60,000.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
If you are looking at a large 5'er I would look at a one ton truck with a diesel (mine is a daully,) I have had the gas and it did not have the power to pull the 5'er very good.
I have a Dodge with a towing package. It has a 5.7 liter hemi and it doesn't know my 32 foot Rockwood is even back there! No matter what truck you get make sure it has a full blown towing package! My towing package has a 5 speed trany, 4th gear for towing on hills and 5th is overdrive. It works out very well. I also had the 17 inch wheels removed and added 20 inch tires. That greatly increased the GVWR on the truck.

Jim
Old 08-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #27

In December 2014, we bought a new 2015 Sabre by Palomino - 33RETS. We picked it up, packed it up & took off for Florida Snowbirding. We had one major issue while in Florida and FR Warranty gave permission for the MOBIL RV to come and repair. The bathroom sink was never hooked up to the drain. Water was running out the bottom and the RV Guy had a devil of a time finding where it came from. But other than that and a few minor things. We absolutely love it!! One thing we would do different is not get the Theatre Seating (lazy boys) attached. Don't know some things till you live with it. We have the washer & dryer compartment but we chose not to use it as such, so it is our linen closet with other storage items. We also had to pay an xtra $500 to have the dinette put in, we hate table & chairs and you also lose the storage (plus the dinette is a grandchild bed). But all and all, we love our Sabre and it is our second one!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
How many people?

Jim
I should have added that. I'm 50 years old and will retire in 5 years but girlfriend is 45 and won't retire for about 15 years. I will live in the RV full time and my girlfriend will be there part time. (I'm selling my house but she can't sell hers because she is two upside down.)

That being said I must say I would like to get the biggest RV I could afford because it will be home for many years to come.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #29
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Also, not all parks can handle a long RV ....might have to be careful where you stop on trips
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Also, not all parks can handle a long RV ....might have to be careful where you stop on trips
When I call to reserve a spot that is one of the first questions I get asked. My 32 footer is not a problem but a 38 footer might be.

Jim
Old 08-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #31

Quote:
I should have added that. I'm 50 years old and will retire in 5 years but girlfriend is 45 and won't retire for about 15 years. I will live in the RV full time and my girlfriend will be there part time. (I'm selling my house but she can't sell hers because she is two upside down.)

That being said I must say I would like to get the biggest RV I could afford because it will be home for many years to come.
I have read through the post and they are all fine with the information on different units.

Now what you need to understand about some models of 5er are they are geared for short time use where as others are for full-timing. What you need to do is look past the wow factor and look at the structure and components such as running gear.

Now make a spread sheet and list the important features for you and what are frame sizes, suspension components and tire size.

Such as 10" or 12" frame, grease-able suspension components or not, Hydraulic leveling system or electric stabilizer, insulation of floor, walls and celling, one A/C or two, 30 amp system or 50 amp and water heater size to name a few.

This is what I did before we even went to this year's winter RV show in Chicago Il. So I knew what to look for and what we type of 5er to purchased.

There were three 5er's that I was considering and we ended up purchasing the Cedar Creek 34RL.

The only item we wanted but could not get was theater seating in the 34RL; the curb side slide would interfere with the theater seating.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #32
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
When I call to reserve a spot that is one of the first questions I get asked. My 32 footer is not a problem but a 38 footer might be.

Jim
Come on out to the wide open spaces in the Pacific Northwest.....just have to dodge BIG fir trees and old state parks
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #33

Great info Jim. Thanks. Can you be more specific about the frame. 10" or 12 "? Is the size of the framing tubing? Spacing? Not sure what that means. I will definitely be looking for a better built unit for full timing and now understand the differences between things nice to have versus requirements. Up until your post I can honestly say I never thought of the those differences.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Come on out to the wide open spaces in the Pacific Northwest.....just have to dodge BIG fir trees and old state parks
Funny that you say that. About twice a year I go to visit friends in Arlington, about an hour or so north of Seattle. That will be my first trip when I retire. Too far to travel in an RV for a week long trip.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Would love to! Maybe next year? Should get my prosthetic in a month or so. Then I have got to learn to walk again. Got a lot of visiting to do on the east coast first and am afraid that is pretty much going to kill this year.

But next year might head towards Tucson, then up that way. Thinking about moving one of the grandkids into the house so I won't have to be here much. Bye Bye Jersey!

Jim
Old 08-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #36

Where in New Jersey? I grew up in Wanaque in NW Jersey. Mountains and trees.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Where in New Jersey? I grew up in Wanaque in NW Jersey. Mountains and trees.
A little boro just south of Glassboro, in south Jersey, the 51st state LOL. I moved down here about 24 years ago after getting remarried. It is closer to the shore but I actually prefer the mountains also. My parents and brother lived in north central PA. so I use to spend a lot of time there. They eventually moved to Az. I had met a lady I loved so I moved down here. Times achange, what can I say. She passed 8 years ago, I got forced into retirement due to health.

Its time to start another new chapter in my life. Got kids to see I haven't been able to visit in a while and places to see! I am ready to go!

Jim
Old 08-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #38

I have a friend in Glassboro. He went to Glassboro State in the 80's and stayed. Good luck with the new chapter in your life.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel