Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Question about different 5th wheels

I am looking for a full time RV and so far I like Georgetown XL 378 (gas) and older models of the Charlestons (diesel) but on a whim I decided to look at 5th wheels and all I can say is wow. I definitely like Forest River so I just looked at a couple Ceder Creeks, 38CK and 38FB2.

I love these 5rs but I cannot look through everyone. Sticking with 38 foot, give or take a foot or two, my questions are what do you like about your 5r model and what amenities do you like or wish you had or could do without.

I know these questions may be too general but just looking for ideas that may peak my interest. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

I just bought a new 5th wheel around 42 feet. Traded in a TT and really like all the room in the new one.. What has me scared is all these negative threads about blow outs on 5th wheels.

My wife and I looked at motor homes but I didn't want to tow a car around with one. I think you'll like a 5th wheel just research the tires and axles on the one you choose and make sure there up to par.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

If you are just one or two, check out the:

Prime Time Crusader Touring Edition 351 REQ. (or similar model)

It is so geared two people and longer term...especially the bathroom, double vanity and all. The only drawback I can see would be laundry, we have one of those 'all in one' units...it would be nice to have stackable separates.

Ours was put together with first-rate quality, only a few issues that have mostly been resolved. I would suggest checking on the 'slide wear' issue, which I am in communication with Forest River about.

This is an awesome 5'er.

Good Luck!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47
2017: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=2, Apr=3, May=6, June=6, July=6, Aug=6,Sept=3,
Running Total:190
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

Thank you all. I will consider both suggestions.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Canadian Full Timer

Hello everyone - we live full time in an older Forest River 35 Foot Cardinal fifth wheel and love the brightness due to the large windows all around the living/dining area. We also have an all-in-one washer/dryer combo and I would not trade it for anything else. I can do a load - wash and dry - in an hour. How can a household of two go wrong with that? lol.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

Rear living room, large rear window, comfortable bedroom with large closet. Still comfortable and looks good after 10 years.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

I hope the ones they make now last 10 years. I've looked at Cardinals on line and love them although most of the 5rs I've seen has the bedroom in the front. Not all but most. next time I window shop at a dealer I'll look for one with a rear bedroom.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Canadian Full Timer

@mixologist. I guess you would prefer the rear bedroom if you were backing into a spot with no view? Our living space is at the rear and we are backed into our spot and we have a panoramic view, so to speak, all around us. We love this layout. Our bedroom is in the front, of course, but one gets used to the traffic noises from the street in time. We switched our dining area with the rear living area, so have a recliner and a rocker and other pieces of furniture where the dinette set used to be, in the slideout. The rear area, previously where the lounge chairs would be, is now our dining area and we love that arrangement! So bright. This Cardinal has probably some of the largest windows we have seen but then it was built before the huge TV sets and fireplaces were incorporated. Ours is a 1999 and we still love it, it looks good, and it serves us very well. We do hope you find the Cardinal you will love, too!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
For us older folk, the rear living area was to far away from entertainment center... And would create to much traffic thru kitchen....so we went with rear kitchen.Go with what suits your needs
Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #10

All good points and food for thought. Thanks.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel