Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #1

R-values

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new 5th wheel. We see some literature says they have r-40 in floor and roof the there brochure shows r-14 in roof. We want to stay cool down south and warm up north snowmobiling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at several models from
Forest river.
showcaserods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcaserods View Post
My wife and I are looking to purchase a new 5th wheel. We see some literature says they have r-40 in floor and roof the there brochure shows r-14 in roof. We want to stay cool down south and warm up north snowmobiling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at several models from
Forest river.
Please post the year and models that you are considering. Many members here would be glad to offer real world use versus expectations.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Please post the year and models that you are considering. Many members here would be glad to offer real world use versus expectations.

We are considering a sandpiper 299rlok ,
Salem hyper lute 29rl and a keystone Laredo
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcaserods View Post
Forest river.
Having trouble finding publications on the internet that give the R values for those models. Can you point me in the right direction. I must say that R-40 on the floor to R-14 on the roof sounds way out of line.

Your profile says you are from AK. Stay home, no reason to travel, you will have summer in June and snowmobiling 4 months on either side of that.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Having trouble finding publications on the internet that give the R values for those models. Can you point me in the right direction. I must say that R-40 on the floor to R-14 on the roof sounds way out of line.

Your profile says you are from AK. Stay home, no reason to travel, you will have summer in June and snowmobiling 4 months on either side of that.

Lol we live in michigan and go south for a month or 2 during fall and early winter.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #6

You can forget the Salem for R values, it's an mid-level trailer that appeals to the eye until you look under the skin . The Sandpiper would be my choice over the Laredo.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #7

I would say don't totally believe the brochures. Ours said R-52 for roof, floor, and nose. No way would I believe that. We camped at night this spring at about 52 at night ( 75 at day ) and heated it up to about 78 before bed at 11 then shut it off. By 6 AM it was 53 degrees. I believe better dual pane windows would have helped us. We have made modifications in the rig already and found plenty of spots with scant insulation. We have a Wildcat, we like the rig, price was right and love the floor plan so we were willing to accept this.
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid View Post
I would say don't totally believe the brochures. Ours said R-52 for roof, floor, and nose. No way would I believe that. We camped at night this spring at about 52 at night ( 75 at day ) and heated it up to about 78 before bed at 11 then shut it off. By 6 AM it was 53 degrees. I believe better dual pane windows would have helped us. We have made modifications in the rig already and found plenty of spots with scant insulation. We have a Wildcat, we like the rig, price was right and love the floor plan so we were willing to accept this.
But your sidewalls are only R-14 and the patio area even less.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #9

Oakman, true. I believe that makes a difference too! Just forgot that part!
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid View Post
Oakman, true. I believe that makes a difference too! Just forgot that part!

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #11

We have a 2016 Columbus which is made by Forest River also, it has
R 38 floor R 30 Roof R 9 Sidewall. We like it alot.

Johnny & Jackie
2016 Columbus 340RK
2016 Ford F350 Diesel
The Dog, The Parrots,
One Ninja Cat at Home.
Jugadorone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugadorone View Post
We have a 2016 Columbus which is made by Forest River also, it has
R 38 floor R 30 Roof R 9 Sidewall. We like it alot.

We've just ordered a 377MB Columbus. Which model do you have? How are you getting on with it? Anything to watch out for?
Tyesmead is offline   Reply With Quote