Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Traveling along

Re-leveling a 5th wheel.

We have a 2019 Crusader 29rsle FW with the automatic leveling legs. We sometimes park for 6 to 12 days. Does anyone re-level their rig after a rainstorm if the floors seem to creak more afterward? We are on gravel/dirt pads somewhat pack down. Just had a storm come thru last night and the floors seem to be creaking more today. Would it make sense to re-level? Not hook up the truck, just push the button for leveling?

Hope that's not a dumb question. This is our first FW. Traded up from a TT with stabilizers.

Thanks for your input.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

Of course you can always rerun the auto level. We boondock in the backwoods for up to three weeks. Only had to relevel once, that I remember, in 7 years. That was after it had rained for three days and nights and things definitely settled. I honestly don't remember if I brought the slides in first or not.
I raised the nose up manually a few inches, then hit auto level. I believe I read that in the manual, to start nose high.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Always Learning

Personally, I would bring all slides in before re-leveling. I'm not a fan of moving the camper around with them out.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Personally, I would bring all slides in before re-leveling. I'm not a fan of moving the camper around with them out.
Probably a good idea. Auto level is not always the smoothest acting.
I do have friends with a huge fifth wheel that will hook up with slides out, just to move over a foot or two. They think nothing of releveling with all four slides out. And yes, they always have slide problems. Of course they have Schwintek slides, but moving like that can't be good for them
Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Probably a good idea. Auto level is not always the smoothest acting.
I do have friends with a huge fifth wheel that will hook up with slides out, just to move over a foot or two. They think nothing of releveling with all four slides out. And yes, they always have slide problems. Of course they have Schwintek slides, but moving like that can't be good for them
Better safe than sorry.
Same. I have friends who the wife would head inside right away and start putting out slides even while husband was still hitched up. Same at the end of the stay, she'd be inside and he'd be raising/lowering it and hitching up with the slides out.

Not for me. Just raising and lowering it at all, I'm bringing slides in first and THEN mucking with the leveling system.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
Traveling along

Thanks

Thank You for your input. Silly me would of not thought of putting the slides in. Makes great sense. Don't want to mess up the slides.
2019 Silverado 2500
Old 06-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Same. I have friends who the wife would head inside right away and start putting out slides even while husband was still hitched up. Same at the end of the stay, she'd be inside and he'd be raising/lowering it and hitching up with the slides out.

Not for me. Just raising and lowering it at all, I'm bringing slides in first and THEN mucking with the leveling system.
Im solidly in the camp that puts the slides out after the camper is leveled and then brings them back in before altering that level condition.

I have never had slide problems and if this is all it takes to prevent them, Im IN!!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Margo View Post
Thank You for your input. Silly me would of not thought of putting the slides in. Makes great sense. Don't want to mess up the slides.
Sorry, didn’t mean to imply you were silly in subsequent posts. I mentioned it at first because I thought it would be a reminder, confirmation, or point of discussion.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
Traveling along

Quote:
Sorry, didn’t mean to imply you were silly in subsequent posts. I mentioned it at first because I thought it would be a reminder, confirmation, or point of discussion.
NO you didn't imply me being silly. I was calling MYSELF silly. I needed information and you gave it. Just what I needed. Thank You!
2019 Silverado 2500
Old 06-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #10

I would also suggest that you have pads down for the leveling pads to land on. I carried 2x10 sections for the pads to rest on. Thought it might help to spread the load so things did not settle as much. I also could use the sections if needed to level the wheels if needed before unhitching and starting the leveling process - did not want to see one side with wheels off the ground.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #11

We always carry a carpenter's level in our 5er so we can confirm the rig is truly level whenever we setup camp. If there is any doubt that the rig has settled out of level during severe weather, we rely on the carpenter's level to confirm yea or nay.

We often camp in sites that are far from level front to back, or side to side. We carry boxes full of the yellow interlocking leveling blocks so we can prevent the six-point leveling system jacks from extending too far. Often times we may have 5 blocks under the front jacks, 3 blocks under the middle jacks, and 1 block under the rears. It helps stabilize the rig quite a bit.

We always bring slides in before activating the leveling system
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #12

I used to carry a little square bubble level and just sit it on the kitchen counter when doing the level process as a final check. I used a carpenters level in the storage compartment as I performed the initial level process - even with the auto leveling and all of its electronics and measurement capability.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #13

Unhook, level, put slides out (3) then auto level again. Works great for us. Last outing we had multiple inches of rain and it was obvious our orange pads had sunk a great deal. Hit auto level and all seemed good. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the unit so far seems ok with our method.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #14

If you have the solid steps, either the MorRyde or Lippert fold outs, then I’d put those up before leveling again so they aren’t getting twisted around during the process.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
NO you didn't imply me being silly. I was calling MYSELF silly. I needed information and you gave it. Just what I needed. Thank You!

You're probably nowhere NEAR as silly as Ependydad. LOL

I have never tried leveling with slides out. I know first action is that the nose dives down. I wouldn't want stuff in trailer to go sliding forward.

Plus, I don't know exactly how it "knows" when it's level. Gyroscope inside? Magic? Seems that device/function would just work better if the total weight stayed above the jacks.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You're probably nowhere NEAR as silly as Ependydad. LOL
The stories are all true!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
We have a 2019 Crusader 29rsle FW with the automatic leveling legs. We sometimes park for 6 to 12 days. Does anyone re-level their rig after a rainstorm if the floors seem to creak more afterward? We are on gravel/dirt pads somewhat pack down. Just had a storm come thru last night and the floors seem to be creaking more today. Would it make sense to re-level? Not hook up the truck, just push the button for leveling?

Hope that's not a dumb question. This is our first FW. Traded up from a TT with stabilizers.

Thanks for your input.
I have to re level all the time or better yet just re adjust the stabilizers as with the weight of my TH they will sink in slightly on soft ground so after about a week or two it's re adjust and then normally good to go
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #18
Traveling along

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will put in the slides and fold up the steps when I re-level. Makes sense with the weight being "inside" the trailer.

I do have 2x8 wood under the pads. Maybe I will get some 2x10. Would not trust the plastic blocks with the weight. Broke some with our TT trying to level under the wheels.

Great people here!!

Thanks.
2019 Silverado 2500
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #19

Try the Lynx Leveling blocks. I don't even remember how old mine are, never broken any, although some of them are bleached almost white from the sun. Can stack them 5 high (about 5").
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #20

Lynx blocks work. I also made some by cutting 2X12 into 12" square blocks. I cut a piece of nylon rope about 2 feet long, laid it on top of one block laying flat. Left a loop at top. Took 2nd block, set on top of first block lying flat, using rope as a 'handle' sticking out the top. 4 wood screws, and voila, you have a good 4" high jack pad with a handle.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, leveling, wheel