Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 12:29 AM   #1

Rear bunk or mid bunk in fifth wheel?

I initially was looking at rear bunks and then started to change my mind as I went and looked at a mid bunk. My thoughts are the rear bunk takes up more space but gives more room to the occupant. However it eats up lots of common space. I especially like the loft above the mid bunk if one is available.

I like the idea of more common/entertaining space and thus am leaning toward the mid bunk option.

Me in the queen and two boys 5/6 in the bunks...

I’m looking in the series 29-33 ish size rigs.
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #2

We have 3 kids and picked mid bunk for that reason. We picked a larger common living area over a larger kids room. We're still happy with that choice. I doubt the kids would agree...
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Always Learning

I like mid-bunks but so few come with 1 1/2 baths and that has become a requirement for me. I don't like my kids in my bathroom and like having guests in it even less (my in-laws regularly join us in our rig).

Watch the cargo carrying capacity of them, some have been quite low for the size of the rig.

And my only concern with the loft is the noise level from the living area keeping the occupant up there from being able to go to sleep.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Coach

We prefer the rear bunk option as it gives separation from our bedroom and the kids. Ours are in the tween and teen age years, so I'm sure they prefer the separation as well.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

I love the setup of the mid bunk but I do not like the total size of them, they are HUGE and it is very hard to find one in a short floorplan, the other issue I have is an outside kitchen is a must, our current one has one and that is where 90% of the cooking is done. I also want the outside fridge and hand washing sink.
https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...00&format=jpeg
scayne62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
We prefer the rear bunk option as it gives separation from our bedroom and the kids. Ours are in the tween and teen age years, so I'm sure they prefer the separation as well.

Good point, that might be in 5+ years for me.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scayne62 View Post
I love the setup of the mid bunk but I do not like the total size of them, they are HUGE and it is very hard to find one in a short floorplan, the other issue I have is an outside kitchen is a must, our current one has one and that is where 90% of the cooking is done. I also want the outside fridge and hand washing sink.
X2. I love my mid bunk (no loft) but I’m 41 feet. And I really miss the outdoor kitchen.

I’ve been starting to look at toy haulers with a loft bunk. Saves a few feet, versatile floor plans, usually bath and a half and an area to stow toys/bikes etc.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #8

My neighbor pick mid bunk ... he likes it
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #9

I have owned two rear bunks and loved both of them. I considered mid bunks but didn't go for it for a few reasons.
First, a mid bunk is too small if you ever want your kids to grow up with your RV. Its great for smallish children, but eventually they want and need more space.
Secondly, most mid bunks don't have another bathroom. For us, that is an essential.
Thirdly, a rear bunk often has its own entrance. That's REALLY important sometimes.
Finally, think about what you are towing it with. My current rig is 42.5 feet. That's huge and most decent rear bunks need this length. You can go smaller if a mid bunk but if your TV isn't big enough, then the decision is made for you.

***related thought...Think about how long you might own it. If you just want something for a short period in your life, don't worry about quality too much. But if you are going to own it for more than 5 years, buy something with more quality and "bells and whistles" My current one is a Montana and I have owned three before this. The Montana has good initial quality, but it also has higher resale. The one I traded in for this was lower quality but it was a rear bunk. After three years it started falling apart but it filled a gap in my family's life and the kids had a good time in it. I am glad I have the Montana now that the kids are gone.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #10

We have had both.

Rear: more private space for the kids and their stuff. Less overall common space in the trailer. We had this when our kids were younger.

Front: beds are smaller. Bedroom is tight but still contains the kids and stuff. Priority for common space. We had this version when our kids were in their late teens/20’s.

Two things to consider when making this decision—
1)I would urge you to consider whether you will take kid’s friends. At around 12-13 the kids needed more stuff to do so their friends started joining us.
2)our rear bunk model had 3 beds large enough for adults. We took advantage of when our kids stopped going with us.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #11

Good responses. I’m thinking when kids are young to go with a 33 foot mid bunk, and when they get older move up to 38-40 foot rear bunk and still have at least the same living room area.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #12

We have a mid-bunk 43' long Sandpiper 372LOK. We have an island in the kitchen, couch and 2-recliners in the living, dining table. We have a residential fridge that I absolutely LOVE! The mid-bunk area is where our 15-year old has made her "room" and our 12-year old has the loft. She has fixed it up and we also added a twin size topper since the mattress wasn't much of a mattress. We have the king bed in our bedroom.

Outside, we have an outdoor kitchen with a fridge and sink. It also came with a grill, but we replaced it pretty quick with our O-Grill. We have since added a 4-burner stove. Like the OP, 90% of our cooking is done outdoors.

We have had it for almost 3 years and are still in love with it.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #13

We had a rear bunk for 10 years which was terrific for the younger children. It was a Monte Vista 35RB which had two rear slides and in each slide was 2 bunks (4 total). Between the two of them was a 1/2 bath and shared closet with doors. Having a boy and girl was easy to give them their own privacy.

Fast forward....the boy is now a young man at 23 years of age and doesn't camp with us much so we traded the 35RB for a 37MBH (mid bunk). I like the mid bunk HOWEVER, when the couch (which serves as the bed too) is opened, there is literally no walking space between it and the closet. Daughter doesn't complain fortunately. We use the upper loft more for storage unless our son comes camping with us.

I will have to say that I don't miss the 2 extra tanks to dump and clean out from the 35RB.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We have a mid-bunk 43' long Sandpiper 372LOK. We have an island in the kitchen, couch and 2-recliners in the living, dining table. We have a residential fridge that I absolutely LOVE! The mid-bunk area is where our 15-year old has made her "room" and our 12-year old has the loft. She has fixed it up and we also added a twin size topper since the mattress wasn't much of a mattress. We have the king bed in our bedroom.

Outside, we have an outdoor kitchen with a fridge and sink. It also came with a grill, but we replaced it pretty quick with our O-Grill. We have since added a 4-burner stove. Like the OP, 90% of our cooking is done outdoors.

We have had it for almost 3 years and are still in love with it.
Nice. A mid bunk with an outdoor kitchen. We only have a bar fridge in ours!
Old 01-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
Nice. A mid bunk with an outdoor kitchen. We only have a bar fridge in ours!
My Open Range 371MBH has a fridge, sink, and 2 burner stove with a grill mount just to the left of it.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #16

DW liked having a large back window, and larger living space. (so no rear bunks)

We have had two with lofts both were very livable but harder to make the beds.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdad View Post
My Open Range 371MBH has a fridge, sink, and 2 burner stove with a grill mount just to the left of it.
Nice!

Tags
bunk, fifth wheel, wheel