Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Rear Kitchens Pros and Cons

We are in the market of purchasing a fifth wheel and found a few with rear kitchens.
Looking for some input from those that have rear kitchens in fifth wheels.
Are you having problems when you arrive at your destination with broken itmes, stuff that ended up all over the place......
Looking for any feedback with the pro and cons.
coffeehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

I dont have one, but a good friend does. They really like the floorplan as the living room is more open feeling and people aren't walking thru while his dw is doing her thing. She loves to cook and entertain. They had one incident last year when they came home and found the fridge, mounted on the back wall, had come open and spilled stuff everywhere. They also tie a kitchen towel or two thru the drawer and cabinet handles.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
We are in the market of purchasing a fifth wheel and found a few with rear kitchens.
Are you having problems when you arrive at your destination with broken itmes, stuff that ended up all over the place......
As far as I know, we are one of few who have a RK here on FRF - it is a 2012 Silverback 29rk. We are very satisfied with it. we like that we can get to the fridge without having to extend the dinette slide out during a lunch stop at a rest stop. My wife is very good at packing things in it and she has not yet told me that anything was broken in transit.

No complains from us so far.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

Never had a problem with my RK. It is all in the packing.
tking1866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
We like our RK very much. More counter space and after around 5000 miles towing, never had any drawers opened, any broken items or any other mishaps.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

This is the second rear kitchen that we've had and haven't broken anything yet. We pack towels and extra pillows in the cabinets with the dishes to take up the extra space.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

This is our second rear kitchen also. As others have stated it seems we have more countertop area for food prep. You don't look through the kitchen to see the entertainment area. We leave our drip coffee maker on the counter even when traveling and it really doesn't move at all. Our RV is 30 foot.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Grape Escape

No cons that I know of. Lots of storage. Never had anything even fall off the counter that we forgot to remove.
It's an urban legend that all your dishes will be broken.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #9

We had a rear kitchen Jayco before changing our whole plan and buying a work and play toy hauler a few months ago. We truly loved the rear kitchen,, with anything common sense will prevent any problems. put the heavy dishes etc in the side cabinets closest to the wheel pivot point as movement is less there, and the bread and potato chips in the top cabinet along the back wall , not the other way around lol. It is a great layout as stated before as the kitchen is in a low traffic area then, no trying to fix dinner and people trying to get to the couch etc shoving past you.
Also there are usually windows in the kitchen area in the back and you can crack them open and make all your neighbors hungry. Just remember that though as those midnight snacks also are prepared in front of the windows, so dress accordingly, dont ask me why I added that, it wasnt a pretty lecture from the hostess of the park!!
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

We have a Cardinal 30RK we love it. It is our second RK and we love the layout we have 5,000 miles on the current 5th including some crazy mountain roads in South Carolina. Never have we had anything move or break. As mentioned more counter space and no one one the way of the TV. We love our Cardinal!!!
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

We love our Kitchen .. And wouldn't a RV with out one.. From saving your inside from traffic to early risers and late snackers with out waking anyone.... A must get it with all the options and you won't regret it ! ... Also roadside stoping and having access to your fridge without opening your camper a +

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2749510896.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	26736
Pullingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullingpete View Post
We love our Kitchen .. And wouldn't a RV with out one.. From saving your inside from traffic to early risers and late snackers with out waking anyone.... A must get it with all the options and you won't regret it ! ... Also roadside stoping and having access to your fridge without opening your camper a +

Attachment 26736
Very nice - but isn't that an outdoor kitchen rather than an inside rear kitchen
Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #13

Yes my bad thought I read outdoor .., ours is rear outdoor ... Pay no attention to me
Pullingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullingpete View Post
Yes my bad thought I read outdoor .., ours is rear outdoor ... Pay no attention to me
Still very nice.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #15

I had one once and I didn't like it. I like a full window in the backend, we just couldn't get used to it. We like a bright living area and the backend of the 5er was to dark for us, we have 11 windows in out 32 ft er.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #16

We've had one for over 5 years and love it. We have never had a problem with anything being broken after a trip. It will be hard to ever go back to one without it. So much more counter space.
Campingnutsdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #17

We love our rear kitchen. No problems at all with it so far. The only negative thing, if you want to call it that, is the slide blocks the fridge while traveling. That is no big deal to us. The front bedroom and bathroom is accessible with the slide in, and that is more important to us than the fridge.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #18

We have Chappy 29 RKS. Love it. The slide does block the fridge,but if you watch how and where you pull in places for lunch,you can still open up and get to it. We are about half way thru our fall trip. In the out skirts of San Fransisco. Will be at the Petaluma KOA tomorrow the 12th.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
Done with this

We looked at a Salem rkss I think. The only thing we didn't care for was the lack of windows in the rear. Other than that, it was very nice.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #20

The con we for the RK was simply not enough space for the little ones to stay entertained on a rainy day. I like look of the RK floorplans.
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote