Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
So you run the sidewall PSI with the tires on your Ford? How's that ride?

I don't understand the folks that say to run the sidewall PSI and then don't actually follow their own advice for all their tires on all their vehicles.

Follow the tire placard and inflation charts. Sidewall PSI is the pressure needed for MAX load, not ALL loads.
Seems like mixing apples an oranges. ST tires are designed differently then LT tires and call for different inflation schedule.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This is yet another tire thread where those that believe running the MAX pressure on the sidewall is always the correct answer.

And then... we have those that believe running the pressure from the manufacturers load chart is the correct answer.

Finally we have those believing the pressure should only be what is on the manufacturers sticker as long as you have the OEM tire size.

I'll never live long enough for any of the three to agree on anything other than what THEY believe to be correct. Tire threads are more so 'closed loop' than any other forum thread besides diesel-vs-gas.

This is one of those topics where I feel bad for the ones that ask the question because we really never help them. They turn into way too much misinformation and utter confusion you'll never get a consensus.

My suggestion to the OP... read as much as you can stomach (and there's days worth of reading!) and try to come to a conclusion that YOU are comfortable with.
When all else fails, read the vehicle owner's manual. They built it and set the recommended inflation pressures for the OE tires.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Seems like mixing apples an oranges. ST tires are designed differently then LT tires and call for different inflation schedule.
That's a little misleading. All tires used on RV trailers, regardless of design have their recommended inflation pressures set by the vehicle manufacturer. They are set at a value deemed appropriate for that fitment. Other standards are written that support that recommendation for the OE tires as being the minimum inflation requirement. Optional tire inflations are anything between what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and tire sidewall max.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #24

This is one of those subjects where there are several correct answers. Run the placard psi for oem tires, the load chart psi, the tire max cold psi, or somewhere in-between.
All correct.
You just have to decide which one works best for you and your circumstances.
For towable RVs, it's always worked well for me to run the tire max cold psi, even when going up a load range from oem. Especially on heavier trailers. Unlike TVs, RV trailers are always loaded.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is one of those subjects where there are several correct answers. Run the placard psi for oem tires, (Under all normal conditions that's the correct inflation pressure) the load chart psi (What is your perception of "load chart psi?), the tire max cold psi, (That's in the optional area.) or somewhere in-between.

All correct.

You just have to decide which one works best for you and your circumstances.

For towable RVs, it's always worked well for me to run the tire max cold psi, even when going up a load range from oem. Especially on heavier trailers. Unlike TVs, RV trailers are always loaded...??...
You may not of had the option to select that as it may have been the vehicle manufacturer's cold recommendation. With tires having load capacity reserves above the vehicle manufacturer's cold recommendations that's always an acceptable option.

In the regulations and standards description for correct tire inflation pressure, they are referring to the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressures depicted on the vehicle certification label, tire and load information label and in the vehicle owner's manual for Original Equipment tires. Therefore, there can be only one correct cold inflation pressure. Anything else that is acceptable is an option. There are only two options, acceptable and unacceptable. An acceptable option would not violate a safety standard, unacceptable would.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #26

Many opinions ... most correct and acceptable ...some even both ... read, study and decide ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #27

Tire Pressure

I went thru 4 tires because of trailer spec.trailer states 65lbs I went to Camping World and had my back axe aligned thinking that cause the blowouts. So I asked about the trailer tires that states 65lbs. Camping World said you must inflate to rate of tire not the trailer rate. So they inflated all tires to 80lb. no more blow-outs. Try it you will like it.
Garr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, pressure, tire, trailer, wheel